• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Last computer was bought in 2008, windows vista! I got a work computer with windows 8 not too long ago and hated everything about windows 8. No start button, the whole "app" crap is ridiculous for a computer. switching between excel files and open pdf's was so stupid. Got the windows 10 download for free from microsoft....my guess is so many people complained and windows 8 is such garbage that they needed to fix it. The download was about 3 gb, i have fast internet so the whole process took around a half hour. I LOVE IT. Start button is awesome, everything is there. Layout is great. The notifications button on the bottom right gives you buttons for network, location, bluetooth, brightness, all kinds of good stuff. It flat out works. I have SSD so my bootup is 10 seconds anyway. My favorite windows i've ever used. i really like the search function as well, since you can choose to search your computer, or web, or both, and it displays the information is a very good way. Good work microsoft.

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have a Lenovo Ultra Book (works both as a PC with keyboard or tablet with touch screen). Downloaded Windows 10 to upgrade Windows 8.1. Specified all the security stuff to NOT share my life with MSFT/cloud. Here are a few issues I had to deal with:
    1) At first, it's slow; evidently it learns what you do most and then speeds up a bit.
    2) Had to re-install my docking station (unplug USB, plug back in ... had to do that a few times to download all the stuff), but works fine now.
    3) Don't let it automatically flip from PC to Tablet mode; you lose the stuff you had open in PC mode and have to return there to resume work. Make Windows 10 ask if it's OK to switch, then it brings your work forward between table/PC or PC/tablet. Weird.
    4) Silly MSFT: When in Tablet mode, you don't have an Onscreen Keyboard icon in the task bar. So when you launch a browser, for example, there is no way to key in a URL. Or anything else for that matter. To get the OSK, right click on the task bar and checkbox OSK.

One nice thing: When switching from laptop to external monitor or vice versa, Windows 10 remembers your configuration so you don't have to re-set text/icon windows size and re-boot.

Overall, Windows 10 appears to be doing a good release for a MSFT product. But since it's free, MSFT must be getting something very valuable ... either hidden inside Windows 10 now, or in preparation for the future.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I have a Lenovo Ultra Book (works both as a PC with keyboard or tablet with touch screen). Downloaded Windows 10 to upgrade Windows 8.1. Specified all the security stuff to NOT share my life with MSFT/cloud. Here are a few issues I had to deal with:
    1) At first, it's slow; evidently it learns what you do most and then speeds up a bit.
    2) Had to re-install my docking station (unplug USB, plug back in ... had to do that a few times to download all the stuff), but works fine now.
    3) Don't let it automatically flip from PC to Tablet mode; you lose the stuff you had open in PC mode and have to return there to resume work. Make Windows 10 ask if it's OK to switch, then it brings your work forward between table/PC or PC/tablet. Weird.
    4) Silly MSFT: When in Tablet mode, you don't have an Onscreen Keyboard icon in the task bar. So when you launch a browser, for example, there is no way to key in a URL. Or anything else for that matter. To get the OSK, right click on the task bar and checkbox OSK.

One nice thing: When switching from laptop to external monitor or vice versa, Windows 10 remembers your configuration so you don't have to re-set text/icon windows size and re-boot.

Overall, Windows 10 appears to be doing a good release for a MSFT product. But since it's free, MSFT must be getting something very valuable ... either hidden inside Windows 10 now, or in preparation for the future.

What they are getting is a) not losing MASSIVE market share for future OEM sales b) keeping future OS presence so that they have the upper hand when writing stuff they DO get paid for (like M$Office)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I did the upgrade last night, it took about 30 minutes and did everything all by itself. So far I'm not impressed. It seems like android to me. Lots of stuff I don't need or can't use, and lot's of Micro$oft calling shots that are mine to call. lots of changes for the sake of change.

If this OS is faster/better then my trusty old computer is so obsolete that it can't realize any benefit, all I got was change. There is 30 days to revert back. I will work with if for a couple weeks and then if I don't see the light I will go back.

EDIT- Oops..... Second thoughts. It looks like Windows 10 will load install and run Hauppague! software, the worst most buggy clunky code ever foisted on mankind! I am now watching my Wintv module, an $80 investment that has been completely rejected by no less than 5 computers.... That's including THIS VERY ONE, when running Win7. The very same obsolete hardware fell on it's face before but is now running Wintv like a champ! Hmmm.... OK, that's a plus for Win 10.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I did the upgrade last night, it took about 30 minutes and did everything all by itself. So far I'm not impressed. It seems like android to me. Lots of stuff I don't need or can't use, and lot's of Micro$oft calling shots that are mine to call. lots of changes for the sake of change.

If this OS is faster/better then my trusty old computer is so obsolete that it can't realize any benefit, all I got was change. There is 30 days to revert back. I will work with if for a couple weeks and then if I don't see the light I will go back.

EDIT- Oops..... Second thoughts. It looks like Windows 10 will load install and run Hauppague! software, the worst most buggy clunky code ever foisted on mankind! I am now watching my Wintv module, an $80 investment that has been completely rejected by no less than 5 computers.... That's including THIS VERY ONE, when running Win7. The very same obsolete hardware fell on it's face before but is now running Wintv like a champ! Hmmm.... OK, that's a plus for Win 10.

Much like the last two presidential elections. :):

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    After a couple of weeks, the greatness of Win10 is starting to wear off. I've found several things that just don't seem to work reliably. For instance, the sound driver on my PC works fine until I attempt to open the parameters and select the input source. Any attempt to adjust sound settings in the OS results in an app crash and offer to debug. Last night, I realized that the mail app hangs when I try to reply to a message. It just hangs and needs to be killed in TM.

None of these are big issues since I don't really care to use Cortana and there are plenty of alternative ways of sending mail, but it does show the newness of the OS. It also makes me think that maybe a move back to Linux might be worth considering too. The one thing I'm coming to feel in Win10 is that there's a lot more communication happening in the background than in any previous OS, except maybe the iOS. The OS seems to phone home a lot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    After a couple of weeks, the greatness of Win10 is starting to wear off. I've found several things that just don't seem to work reliably. For instance, the sound driver on my PC works fine until I attempt to open the parameters and select the input source. Any attempt to adjust sound settings in the OS results in an app crash and offer to debug. Last night, I realized that the mail app hangs when I try to reply to a message. It just hangs and needs to be killed in TM.

None of these are big issues since I don't really care to use Cortana and there are plenty of alternative ways of sending mail, but it does show the newness of the OS. It also makes me think that maybe a move back to Linux might be worth considering too. The one thing I'm coming to feel in Win10 is that there's a lot more communication happening in the background than in any previous OS, except maybe the iOS. The OS seems to phone home a lot.

Is it possible to use a firewall to shut down this phoning home? Can it be controlled by a security software?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Is it possible to use a firewall to shut down this phoning home? Can it be controlled by a security software?

Windows 10 sends a massive amount of data back to Microsoft on your activities. If you are interested in privacy, but still want to use Win10, then you will want to use the following instructions to minimize (not eliminate) the data sent back.

Fix Windows 10 Privacy

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Windows 10 sends a massive amount of data back to Microsoft on your activities. If you are interested in privacy, but still want to use Win10, then you will want to use the following instructions to minimize (not eliminate) the data sent back.

Fix Windows 10 Privacy

After scanning through that I'm even more secure in my decision to skip Win10. Windows 7 works great on my main system and my HTPC, plus Linux Mint is working fantastic on my laptop. I've got a smaller laptop I have thought about also putting Linux Mint on that I was debating upgrading to Win10, but now I'm thinking Mint would be the better option on...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    After scanning through that I'm even more secure in my decision to skip Win10. Windows 7 works great on my main system and my HTPC, plus Linux Mint is working fantastic on my laptop. I've got a smaller laptop I have thought about also putting Linux Mint on that I was debating upgrading to Win10, but now I'm thinking Mint would be the better option on...

I understand that 10 is a complete spy-fest but is it any different than Android?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I understand that 10 is a complete spy-fest but is it any different than Android?

It is very similar if you use all of the Google services, such as backing up your data there. It is possible to remain almost entirely separate from Google with Android, but you have to work at it. I have an Android phone and gone to great lengths to keep Google away from it. Not sure about Apple, but I'm sure there is at least some of the same going on there. Not having to deal with a companies need to siphon off and sell info about you is where Linux is far ahead on privacy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have health issues that involves debilitating pain. I don't sleep much or well. It is 4:00 AM and I have been watching my computer with the new Win 10 install awake from sleep mode, appear to be working feverishly with flickering lights and the modem showing lots of activity. This is the third time I have seen this, and it is despite my making every effort to disable this functionality.

I have followed the instructions found in several articles on taking control of Win 10 yet I still seem to be just a host for a parasitic operating system. Someone else is obliviously making heavy use of my system while it is supposed to be idle. I'm not very impressed by that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hear you on the pain thing. Probably not as bad as you, but I'm up most nights with back pain, after tossing and turning all night. Lucky when I get 6 hours of "sleep".

Anyway, I think it's a sad state of affairs, what the OS is becoming. I talked with a coworker yesterday who had upgraded both of his systems and he was less than impressed. I've pretty well decided to stay away from Windows 10. Perhaps they'll patch it down the road and get rid of some of the issues, but I won't be holding my breath. Meanwhile my Windows 7 install on my main rig and Linux Mint on my laptop will be satisfying all my needs :D

Pudly says I have plenty of room on my hard drive (Win 7 machine) that I could make it a dual boot - Windows and Linux - and I have a feeling that's the direction I'm going to go. I've only been playing around with the Linux (booting from the USB stick) but really like it so far. It just seems so "clean" compared to all the overhead for Windows.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy

Fix Windows 10 Privacy

At least you won't get ads for tampons, seal meat and Grizzly pheromones. Did I mention igloo bolts?;)

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Btw, I haven't been emailed about the d/l and I signed up awhile ago. Is this common?

It was supposed to come via a Windows update but sometimes doesn't work. If you want Windows 10 all you have to do is grab the media creation tool from the link below and it will guide you through installing it. Don't enter a product key when it asks for one and it will automatically activate itself after a bit of time online, even if you do a clean install.

Windows 10

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Btw, I haven't been emailed about the d/l and I signed up awhile ago. Is this common?

Manually check to make sure your system really is updated. We checked my kids machines and they both had outstanding updates that had to be completed before the process would begin. A lot of 64 bit stuff had never installed and was holding them up. Got those updates done and Win10 showed right up.

Top Bottom