• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Okay, FINALLY I got to the point where I could reserve her copy of Win10. Now I guess I just wait until she gets the notice that it's ready to install. Which of course means I will have to keep checking her email since she never does... :n00b:

I never received any notice for my main PC. I just happened to go into Windows Update to see if there were any patches to apply and it said Win10 was downloaded and ready to install. That was 3 days ago and I still haven't received any notice. The Windows 10 icon in the system tray still says the download is "in progress", even though Windows Update has said it was downloaded and ready to install for 3 days... :rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I never received any notice for my main PC. I just happened to go into Windows Update to see if there were any patches to apply and it said Win10 was downloaded and ready to install. That was 3 days ago and I still haven't received any notice. The Windows 10 icon in the system tray still says the download is "in progress", even though Windows Update has said it was downloaded and ready to install for 3 days... :rolleyes:

Gaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!! :wallbash: Stupid, stupid, stupid Microsoft!!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Guys, you can use this tool if you want to do the upgrade right now:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

I didn't have to wait for any notifications or anything, just ran this and upgraded.

Problem with that is that I downloaded it the day it was released / announced and it hasn't worked for me yet. I keep getting the lovely "Something Happened" error message. I've tried a few fixes I found online, from MS and others, but none have worked. Someone at MS should be fired over this type of an error message. It's absolutely no help in troubleshooting what the issue is... :xmad:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Problem with that is that I downloaded it the day it was released / announced and it hasn't worked for me yet. I keep getting the lovely "Something Happened" error message. I've tried a few fixes I found online, from MS and others, but none have worked. Someone at MS should be fired over this type of an error message. It's absolutely no help in troubleshooting what the issue is... :xmad:

I can't recall what I did to eventually fix the "something happened" error. Maybe ran the tool as an admin... Others said it just eventually worked after multiple tries.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I can't recall what I did to eventually fix the "something happened" error. Maybe ran the tool as an admin... Others said it just eventually worked after multiple tries.

Interesting. I'm using a standard user account and entering my admin credentials when prompted (you know, the way MS designed their OS to work). I've tried it a couple dozen times without success thus far. I may have to log in as the admin account and test it, just to see if that helps. At this point, it's almost worthless to do so, as I no longer really have a desire to upgrade anything to Win10, even this test laptop I'm typing on at this moment. I'm using Linux Mint on it and I'm pretty hesitant to change that at this point...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    But now the government has images of your smiling kids. Not a great compromise.

Interesting. I'm using a standard user account and entering my admin credentials when prompted (you know, the way MS designed their OS to work). I've tried it a couple dozen times without success thus far. I may have to log in as the admin account and test it, just to see if that helps. At this point, it's almost worthless to do so, as I no longer really have a desire to upgrade anything to Win10, even this test laptop I'm typing on at this moment. I'm using Linux Mint on it and I'm pretty hesitant to change that at this point...

I'd think you'd be ok doing it that way (entering credentials when prompted). If you can right click and run as administrator on it, that would be another test.

I "reserved" my upgrade some time back. One of my home machines showed it was available recently when I clicked on the Get Windows 10 in the icon tray. The other machine has not as yet.

Someone else mentioned email notification, I never received a notification except the one that confirmed my registration, which says you can check back using the Get Windows 10 icon in the system tray. It also mentions the media creation tool, etc.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'd think you'd be ok doing it that way (entering credentials when prompted). If you can right click and run as administrator on it, that would be another test.

I "reserved" my upgrade some time back. One of my home machines showed it was available recently when I clicked on the Get Windows 10 in the icon tray. The other machine has not as yet.

Someone else mentioned email notification, I never received a notification except the one that confirmed my registration, which says you can check back using the Get Windows 10 icon in the system tray. It also mentions the media creation tool, etc.

That was me. I may have misunderstood though. In the email confirmation I got about reserving it, it said that it would download in the background and I would be notified when it was ready to install. I guess I was mistakenly thinking that it would be an email notification rather than just being "notified" on the machine itself that it was there.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    At one time I had worked in a major capital finance corporation in collections and primarily Skip Tracing. Suffice it to say that most folks here would be shocked to know what is already held in data repositories like Acxiom Insight and Accurint.

I forward that Corpo-America is primarily interested in marketing data and trends where mining for data is concerned. If one is concerned about the direct or indirect footprints of their proclivities that millions of others engage in then I suggest the concern is misplaced.

If ya'll were aware of what's already out there, the level of concern about Windows 10 would be greatly diminished.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    The privacy stuff is just icing on the cake for me; I've built an entire home theater around Windows Media Center and they stripped it completely out of 10. No upgrades for me . . .

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm still waiting for the upgrade to be available for DoggyMama's computer. I did all the prerequisite stuff like converting from 8.0 to 8.1 and "reserved" her copy about a week ago but it's still not there for downloading yet. I'm waiting to see how it is on her machine before I make the decision whether or not to do mine (Win 7). The more I hear though, the less inclined I am to upgrade mine. I'd really like to try Linux, but I know nothing about partitioning my machine and running it in virtual mode, or making a bootable thumb drive, etc., so I don't have to commit to it.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The privacy stuff is just icing on the cake for me; I've built an entire home theater around Windows Media Center and they stripped it completely out of 10. No upgrades for me . . .

Geeze, I couldn't stand windows media center. XBMC/Kodi whips it. Unless you're using the PVR functionality, I suppose.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Switched my main PC from 8.1 to 10... The process took a couple hours but completed normally. Monitored it from work on my phone (Google remote desktop is kinda cool)
    Got home, started working with it. Edge didn't want to load. Cortana wouldn't run. My computer was running really slow. Popped open firefox and was browsing.. I think I was actually on INGO when it happened.
    System shutdown. No warning, no alerts, no nothing. The computer simply powered off.

Restarted it, popped open the BIOS. CPU is running at 83C. It's set to do an emergency power down at 90...
    I had NO issues on 8.1 with heat. I had noticed that it was idling a little higher (like 6 degrees) recently but nothing to write home about.
    I'll just shorten the story.. one fan grate was completely choked with dust (i'm usually pretty good about maintenance) and the heatsink on the CPU was REALLY bad.
    Blew it out for about 10 mins til no dust came from anywhere in the computer.
    Fired it up again. Apparently there were some updates to run.
    The system was idling in the 60s, but slowly climbing down. Cortana worked... oh goodie, Siri for my PC. Edge worked now but there's no adblock for it so I won't be using it.
    all my old software still runs. in some cases i've even seen an improvement in speed/stability
    Day two, my computer is idling BELOW it's average temp.
    I fire up some games to check how much it heats up. --Idle temp 29C --Gaming 38C --Gaming on one screen, Kodi streaming on the other 42C
    Updated my video driver last night as well.
    I no longer have any complaints about how Win10 runs....

Oh yeah, and it uses about half a gig less of my RAM.

Top Bottom