• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just got Windows 10 installed. First time into windows it prompted if I wanted to share network wifi setting with friends. I simply opted out and moved on. Simple folks.

Nah there's more to it than that...

Essentially uses your computer as a botnet. There are initial guides to disable it, but I'm sure there's going to be much more to get it to an "acceptable" level for those that care about privacy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...e_a_quick_guide_as_to_how_to_disable_the_new/

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I agree with this. All that stuff should be disabled by default and you should only have to go through all the hassle if you actually want that crap on your computer. This is the reason I will probably keep Win7 until I can't. There is NO valid reason that an OS should be sharing your wifi network info by default. None, nada, zip, and Bill Gates himself will never convince me otherwise.

Thanks for actually having read some of the info in the link GPIA7 provided, too.
    I loved the part where it explains how to disable P2P (yes, on by default) to help prevent it from constantly pinging your network connection.
    So glad that I'm on Linux.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've brought an old netbook up as well as my main desktop up on Win10 so far. The netbook has been perfect in function, but I've had a few glitches in the desktop system. I've read the issues regarding the WiFi Sense nonsense and have changed the SSID name per instructions and turned off the WiFi share setting. It has been one of their better releases and is far better than Vista and Win 8 was.

My goal is to run Linux as the base OS and run a VM for Windows. I've been able to do that with a lot of success until it comes to mapping the USB ports. Until I figure that out, I'll run Windows natively one my main system and run Linux based VMs on my backup. I'm tied to Windows though in one way, shape or form.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It borked my efi boot entry for my Linux partition.
    I had 8.1 and 10 seems much more better than it.

Get yourself a liveCD of Clonezilla and a big enough external hard drive to save to, and it can bork all it wants, and you can turn right around and unbork it.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Could you download the Win 10 upgrade to a thumbdrive on a Win 7 Pro computer and then install it on a Win 7 Home PC as a Win 10 Pro version?
    I have Win7 Pro at the office, but Win7 Home at my home office. Just curious or is this a no no?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Could you download the Win 10 upgrade to a thumbdrive on a Win 7 Pro computer and then install it on a Win 7 Home PC as a Win 10 Pro version?
    I have Win7 Pro at the office, but Win7 Home at my home office. Just curious or is this a no no?

It will detect what's currently on the drive. So... home won't go to Pro.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Yeah, if any of you are privacy-minded, W10 is not for you. Also a lot of talk about a built-in keylogger in the preview versions. Don't know yet if that's gone or not.

Tons of stuff to dig into and disable with W10 to give some semblance of privacy... But so far, it damn near wants access to everything about you.

Want to use Cortana, but value your privacy? Sorry, better disable it.

Also hate how they leave the ability to disable some features in certain versions. Can only disable automatic updates with Pro or Enterprise. Can only disable "send microsoft your data..." with Enterprise registry edits. It'll take some tinkering to make it privacy-friendly. Until then, dual-boot is fine.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yeah, if any of you are privacy-minded, W10 is not for you. Also a lot of talk about a built-in keylogger in the preview versions. Don't know yet if that's gone or not.

Tons of stuff to dig into and disable with W10 to give some semblance of privacy... But so far, it damn near wants access to everything about you.

Want to use Cortana, but value your privacy? Sorry, better disable it.

Also hate how they leave the ability to disable some features in certain versions. Can only disable automatic updates with Pro or Enterprise. Can only disable "send microsoft your data..." with Enterprise registry edits. It'll take some tinkering to make it privacy-friendly. Until then, dual-boot is fine.

They've released a tool for the update issue:

Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates | ZDNet

I'm in the boat of sticking with Windows 7 until support ends. It works just the way I want it to on my desktop and 13" laptop. I have an older gaming laptop that has Linux Mint on it that I'll probably test Win10 on, but I doubt it'll get much use. I have the original Windows 7 hard drive out of the machine, so I'll swap it for the Linux drive for a while, to upgrade it and test it out. Want to wait a couple months to see if updates fix some of the more egregious problems first though. I don't have the hatred I did towards Win8/8.1 for Win10, I just don't have any desire to upgrade :dunno:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Friend of mine described Microsoft Edge (the IE replacement) as the fastest, coolest browser he's ever used to download Chrome with.

:P

You understood the Chrome reference about listening to you, correct? Look up Chrome and evesdropping if not.

And yes, Edge is faster, though I must admit for my home machines, I run Firefox mainly due to familiarity as I have been running it for many years, due to issues back in the day with running limited accounts on XP home version, and IE not liking some things. Those issues are long gone, but still like Firefox, not because its better, but just because its familiar for the most part. Running 10 on a couple of home machines, and waiting on the download to get to me on a couple of others. My work machine was upgraded this week already :-)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, I've read through the links and comments here on INGO and I'm still lost. As I said, I'm sticking with WIN 7 on my machine, but DoggyMama's machine is WIN 8, so I was going to use hers as a guinea pig. Guess I'll have to go to Google for more easily understood instructions. One question that comes to mind is about renaming your wireless networks to network name_optout or some such. Do I only need to do that on the machine with WIN 10 on it (once installed) or will I also need to do that on my WIN 7 machine?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Well, I've read through the links and comments here on INGO and I'm still lost. As I said, I'm sticking with WIN 7 on my machine, but DoggyMama's machine is WIN 8, so I was going to use hers as a guinea pig. Guess I'll have to go to Google for more easily understood instructions. One question that comes to mind is about renaming your wireless networks to network name_optout or some such. Do I only need to do that on the machine with WIN 10 on it (once installed) or will I also need to do that on my WIN 7 machine?

Are you having an issue? I haven't had to do anything with my wireless networks and I've got 2 home machines (will be 3 shortly) running 10 now, and my work PC.

Top Bottom