• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Windows 10 uses Edge as a web browser. Some apps are not compatible. You should also have a copy of IE 11 with win 10. If some apps aren't working, try accessing them thru IE 11. If you can find it. I found it on my desktop, but not on my netbook. I switched to Firefox and my stock app worked.

I won't be using Edge or IE. Not happening. If it will let me uninstall them I will...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay, how do I uninstall Cortana, IE and Edge? When I go to the list of programs to uninstall, nothing I want to install shows up there. Where is Cortana? I don't see it listed anywhere (except at the very beginning where I set it to "off").

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Screw it. She's just gonna be stuck with Windows 8. Er, I mean 10. Whatever. :rolleyes: I thought the whole thing about 10 was that it would look more like 7 or XP? It looks nothing like either.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Seriously? It's a radically different UI than 8 had and frankly 8 was a pretty solid OS. The start menu and many core functions are a lot more like Windows 7 than 8, but yes it's certainly different. Cortana and Edge are not removable but you're certainly not forced to use them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Seriously? It's a radically different UI than 8 had and frankly 8 was a pretty solid OS. The start menu and many core functions are a lot more like Windows 7 than 8, but yes it's certainly different. Cortana and Edge are not removable but you're certainly not forced to use them.

The start menu (on her machine anyhow) looks nothing like Win 7. I get all the "app panels" instead of a list of programs and features (like Computer and Control Panel). Even though I "unpin" the panels from the Start menu, they're right back there when I start up the computer again, so apparently all settings are temporary?

Like I said, I'm glad I only did this on her computer and not mine. With all the privacy issues and the minimal changes from Win 8, I will stick with 7 until I completely go with Linux.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

This has been coming for a long time. Flash has been the biggest malware vector for along time now. The momentum has finally swung to use HTML5 instead of Flash for playing embedded videos. Firefox has been blocking Flash by default for a while now. You have to click on the flash prompt to allow it to play.

As an InfoSec guy, I'm all for this! Neither Adobe Flash or Java can die fast enough :xmad:

Java is perfectly fine if it is not used in the browser. It is used on millions of servers and devices without the serious problems that browsers have been having. Unfortunately, associating a powerful, cross-platform programming language with unknown/untrusted code that comes in via the browser has been a disaster.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Java is perfectly fine if it is not used in the browser. It is used on millions of servers and devices without the serious problems that browsers have been having. Unfortunately, associating a powerful, cross-platform programming language with unknown/untrusted code that comes in via the browser has been a disaster.

True, but the way it's used is what's important. That and someone will write some program that's locked into an old, unsecure version of Java and never update it. Then someone receives a phishing email that exploits that older code and everyone wonders why InfoSec can't keep all the bad guys out of their systems.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    True, but the way it's used is what's important. That and someone will write some program that's locked into an old, unsecure version of Java and never update it. Then someone receives a phishing email that exploits that older code and everyone wonders why InfoSec can't keep all the bad guys out of their systems.

Not updating software is a problem anywhere found. Manufacturers are only now realizing the updating computer devices to correct security flaws is important- auto manufacturers, phone manufacturers, home routers are a lost cause, not to mention the whole "Internet of Things". OMG. :wallbash:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Not updating software is a problem anywhere found. Manufacturers are only now realizing the updating computer devices to correct security flaws is important- auto manufacturers, phone manufacturers, home routers are a lost cause, not to mention the whole "Internet of Things". OMG. :wallbash:

Yep. I never realized just how bad it was till I got into InfoSec 3 years ago. It's SCARY!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    So let me get this straight... the piracy sites (illegal) are blocking Win 10 users because the software "spies" (not illegal) on them? Is that what they're saying? :):

Another way to look at it is that they've become concerned that Win10 has become a tool of the government. They really couldn't care less if Microsoft knows that people are sharing files.

Top Bottom