• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    this morn I updated some 64 stuff but it was optional.

Thanks CTS. Using the MCT now.

Is there an app for time travel?

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    can anyone DL a copy of win10? free?

my dad has a laptop with win8, and he (and I) HATES it. Just wondering if he could get rid of win8 and upgrade to win10??

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    can anyone DL a copy of win10? free?

my dad has a laptop with win8, and he (and I) HATES it. Just wondering if he could get rid of win8 and upgrade to win10??

Yes. Win10 is a free upgrade for anyone with Win7, 8 or 8.1. In fact, if he has connected to the internet and applies security patches periodically, his laptop should be bugging him to upgrade. There should be a little Window icon in the lower right to start the upgrade process.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Got both rigs running Win 10 now using the Media Creation Tool. What happened to all my saved passwords (Firefox). And my Chinese $4 Bluetooth dongle still won't work.....!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Is it safe to use utilities like CC Cleaner, Malabyte's Malware, and defrag. Is this stuff even necessary anymore?

Defrag is becoming less relevant... and should not be used on a solid-state drive.

CCleaner is still good, has some good tools and utilities on it. MBAM is still good for malware removal. Windows Defender should be suitable for real-time protection though.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I give up !

Back to Windows 8.1 for me !

The 3rd time having to reconfigure my HP Envy is enough for me !

HP Advanced Technical Support Staff (the guy spoke English !!!) says wait for the upgrade until Microsoft has worked out a myriad of issues !

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes. Win10 is a free upgrade for anyone with Win7, 8 or 8.1. In fact, if he has connected to the internet and applies security patches periodically, his laptop should be bugging him to upgrade. There should be a little Window icon in the lower right to start the upgrade process.

On DoggyMama's computer, it made me upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 before it would even let me reserve a copy of 10. (which still isn't ready to download apparently). :scratch:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    The Win 10 is functioning well on my old hardware, marginally better even than the Win 7 that was on it before. This dell optiplex 755 had Vista when it was new. The computer shop put 7 on surplus boxes but it had bugs and I never thought it was fully compatible. I have two of them and have been comparing 7 and 10 side by side.

Naturally several new features are not available because of my obsolete hardware, but the basic functionality is improved on Win 10. The irritation comes from the complete loss of control/ownership. I had to make a Microsoft account I didn't want to use it. I leave to **** and find my settings have been altered upon my return. At night I have to watch my computer awake all by itself and start doing who knows what for 45 minutes. After that I have to sign in to prove who the hell I am just to get access to my own computer. I'd like it the other way...... Let me in unhindered and have Microsoft need to sign in!

No, I am not impressed at all...... The smooth and quick response is desirable. 10 has breathed new life into this old machine, but it's the life of a despotic dictator! (that's new)

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I keep having a pop up about it and I just wish it would go away... Tired of having to close it out every time I get on my computer/lap top.... Errrrrrrrr

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    After re-configuring to Window's 8.1, I can't download any Window's Updates without Window's 10 wanting to download and install. Can't stop it , it won't go away, so I effectively can't update Window's 8.1 without first having Window's 10 shoved down my throat.

I am gathering from research that one needs to remove 2 previous Window's updates and then download and run a Window's 10 Blocker. The blocker involves establishing a DOS pathway yadda, yadda, yadda, which is beyond me. An HP tech with remote access gets to resolve this if they ever call back. Maybe !

UPDATE : An HP rep with a delightful accent is suggesting that Microsoft will have Windows 10 fixed in a couple of weeks so I should just install 10 and in short order, all will be good with my world. I got no response to my assertion that HP's own English speaking (as a first language) Rep at their repair tech center in Louisville suggest I run, RUN LIKE THE WIND, from Windows 10.

My next conversation will be with a Microsoft Tech. Film at 11:00

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, DoggyMama's computer is upgrading as we speak. Then I'll have to go back through this thread and do some googling to see what I need to disable (basically everything that I possibly can that's even remotely related to MS). Not that it seems to matter from what I'm reading here. All I can say is I'm glad it's her computer and not mine. I may end up trying to convince her to go to Linux once I'm a little more comfortable with it. For what she does, I truly think she'd like Linux's simplicity better. She's already intimidated by Windows as it is, so learning Linux wouldn't be a big deal for her (since she really doesn't "know" Windows).

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, DoggyMama's computer is upgrading as we speak. Then I'll have to go back through this thread and do some googling to see what I need to disable (basically everything that I possibly can that's even remotely related to MS). Not that it seems to matter from what I'm reading here. All I can say is I'm glad it's her computer and not mine. I may end up trying to convince her to go to Linux once I'm a little more comfortable with it. For what she does, I truly think she'd like Linux's simplicity better. She's already intimidated by Windows as it is, so learning Linux wouldn't be a big deal for her (since she really doesn't "know" Windows).

The great thing about Mint is that you don't have to leave the GUI much, if at all. I've used it for a couple years now and the only time I've needed to go out of the GUI was when I was studying for a Linux class.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Windows 10 uses Edge as a web browser. Some apps are not compatible. You should also have a copy of IE 11 with win 10. If some apps aren't working, try accessing them thru IE 11. If you can find it. I found it on my desktop, but not on my netbook. I switched to Firefox and my stock app worked.

Top Bottom