• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Are you having an issue? I haven't had to do anything with my wireless networks and I've got 2 home machines (will be 3 shortly) running 10 now, and my work PC.

I haven't done anything yet, but everything I've read so far said that you need to rename your wireless network in order to prevent WIN 10 from sharing your info with your contacts or whatever.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I guess I'll just do a backup of her computer first and then try and install this thing... and then worry about what I need to disable/rename.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Something else I noticed... on my Win7 machine, I have the little "free upgrade" icon down in my tray. I'm not seeing it on her Win 8 machine. Do I just go to Windows Updates and find it there?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    So far anyway.
    I downloaded the new Windows 10 operating system last night. It took almost 2-1/2 hours to download, configure settings... but when it was finished, my 'puter is running MUCH faster, videos are no longer buffering...

Yep, so far I think I like this new system.

I'm still waiting for the version that uses my kid's smile as a password. Nothing less...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Something else I noticed... on my Win7 machine, I have the little "free upgrade" icon down in my tray. I'm not seeing it on her Win 8 machine. Do I just go to Windows Updates and find it there?

Check to make sure that her machine is actually updated. My sons machine was updating regularly, but Windows left out a bunch of updates and he had to apply them before the icon would appear and he could get set up to get the update.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Assuming it is a home or premium version of Windows (rather than Enterprise), it needs to have update KB3035583.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Check to make sure that her machine is actually updated. My sons machine was updating regularly, but Windows left out a bunch of updates and he had to apply them before the icon would appear and he could get set up to get the update.

Assuming it is a home or premium version of Windows (rather than Enterprise), it needs to have update KB3035583.

I'm applying 91 (yes, 91!) updates right now. Needless to say, she hasn't been on her computer in a long time. :n00b:

Just going through the backup process (I'm not worried about applying the updates to the backup I made) reminded me just how much I hated Win 8. My god what a horrible piece of crap that is... I even have Classic Shell and it's still nothing like Win 7. I sure hope Win 10 is as much like Win 7 as it claims to be.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    After over 2 hours, I canceled the download and restarted the computer. It's now installing 90 of the 91 updates that it was trying to download. Of course with my luck, #91 will have been the one that I needed. :rolleyes:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I like it. I bought a laptop that came with 8.1 earlier this summer, so I was looking forward to the 10 upgrade. Definitely an upgrade. The privacy stuff is pretty quickly and easily remedied.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm quite frankly insulted at the idea I should have to rename my network just to get it to stop doing things I don't approve of in the first place. My son brought home a stack of paper thick enough to stun an ox; two pages on how to install it, and the rest being the EULA. After looking through that I'm half tempted to drop 7 from all my boxen. You don't even have to read it carefully to find out lovely things like m$ will periodically turn the spyware back on that you took all that trouble to turn off.

I have a computer, and it needs an operating system to run. What's so [bad word] hard about creating one that I don't have to keep fighting with on my own [bad word] computer. Configuring is one thing, digging virii and malware out of the operating system itself is ludicrous. I'd even pay a fair price, and I don't mean having every computer automatically come with it and include it in the purchase price when that's not the one I want. I will now never have 10 on any computer I have to use myself, and look forward to becoming entirely m$ free. I opened one laptop a couple of days ago and had to wait about 20 minutes while it installed 141(!) updates I hadn't given it permission to upload, and reboot 4 times before I ever got to my password. No option, no explanations. All I wanted to do was check some email. It worked last week, but I guess it's too much to expect the software I was using last week would still work.

I do apologize for the rant here, this stuff is just pulling up my slack.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm quite frankly insulted at the idea I should have to rename my network just to get it to stop doing things I don't approve of in the first place. My son brought home a stack of paper thick enough to stun an ox; two pages on how to install it, and the rest being the EULA. After looking through that I'm half tempted to drop 7 from all my boxen. You don't even have to read it carefully to find out lovely things like m$ will periodically turn the spyware back on that you took all that trouble to turn off.

I have a computer, and it needs an operating system to run. What's so [bad word] hard about creating one that I don't have to keep fighting with on my own [bad word] computer. Configuring is one thing, digging virii and malware out of the operating system itself is ludicrous. I'd even pay a fair price, and I don't mean having every computer automatically come with it and include it in the purchase price when that's not the one I want. I will now never have 10 on any computer I have to use myself, and look forward to becoming entirely m$ free. I opened one laptop a couple of days ago and had to wait about 20 minutes while it installed 141(!) updates I hadn't given it permission to upload, and reboot 4 times before I ever got to my password. No option, no explanations. All I wanted to do was check some email. It worked last week, but I guess it's too much to expect the software I was using last week would still work.

I do apologize for the rant here, this stuff is just pulling up my slack.

Exactly why I'm tempted to run Win7 on my main rig until support for it ends and then convert all my boxes to Linux. I supported Windows for two decades and what the OS is turning into is something that I don't want or need. I guess I'm lucky that I don't game much anymore, so I don't really need Windows.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I find Win10 to be a ton better than its predecessors. Looks like M$ finally got it closer to right....

I'm withholding judgement until I get it fully installed and debugged*, but I will say this has been the biggest pain in the ass to install that I have ever encountered.

*By debugged I mean disabling everything I can possibly disable. It just feels like I'm purposely installing malware and spyware.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Credit to Kim Kommando newsletter.

Article on how to setup a folder that puts all the Windows functions in one place so you can make easy adjustments or changes to Windows 10 features:

Since long before Windows 10 was officially released last week, techies have been looking into the operating system's every nook and cranny. They've been uncovering some pretty cool secrets.
    Those include something called GodMode that Microsoft has not released to the public, and probably never will. It gives you special access to Windows 10.

GodMode essentially puts all of Microsoft's functions onto one menu. You can scan and scroll through settings and functions that otherwise would be scattered all over the place.
    This way, it's easier to customize Windows 10 for your specific needs. Plus, GodMode gives you access to some future features that aren't available to the public, but may be in a few years.
    Using GodMode, for instance, lets you increase the resolution on your computer. You can also tinker with the toolbar so it has only the functions you want to use.
    Here's how to enable GodMode on your computer. First, you must have full administrator privileges on your computer.
    Want to use GodMode? Here's how. Right click on your Windows 10 desktop screen. Create a new folder and give it (rename it) this exact name: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}. It'll create a GodMode icon. Just click on that to start customizing the Windows 10 OS.

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay, FINALLY I got to the point where I could reserve her copy of Win10. Now I guess I just wait until she gets the notice that it's ready to install. Which of course means I will have to keep checking her email since she never does... :n00b:

Top Bottom