• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What if the "free gun" you just found was used 20 minutes ago to kill a kid two streets away from here?
    What if it belongs to a State Trooper who forgot it there and the entire force is now looking for it?

:dunno:

My solution to these problems: Flush the Tupperware down the john and in the first case relax, granted that it most likely was a shootout between two up and coming thugs and in the second indulge in gratuitous laughter watching the exercise in futility.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I'd coonfinger it as I did my business. If it took me longer than usual to get the job done, I'd take out all the boowets and try to figure out what kind they were; then I'd keep the boowets if they were 9 or 40's. Then I would take the gun down as far as I could and put it back together without the springs; Then I would feel guilty and put it back together right (but keep the boowets).
    Then I'd pocket the gun and sit in the parking lot waiting for someone with an Oh Sh$t look on their face running in to the establishment.
    If he exited with a sick look like he just ate dog poo I'd go make his day (but still keep the boowets).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not sure why everybody is worried about their finger prints. If you turn it into police and the gun was used in a crime there is good reason if your prints are on it. I would say first thing is to unload and make the gun safe. Don't go walking around handing strangers/manager a loaded gun.
    Unload it for sure... you know how hard it is to find ammo these days! ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My solution to these problems: Flush the Tupperware down the john and in the first case relax, granted that it most likely was a shootout between two up and coming thugs and in the second indulge in gratuitous laughter watching the exercise in futility.

Are Glocks "floaters" or "sinkers"? :dunno:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I hope you are all joking about the free Glock! Ha. I would first lock the stall, slide underneath .

Someone's lost gun would not be enough for me to crawl on a restroom floor. Safest thing is take a giant dump in the toilet, cover the gun with TP, and walk out. Anyone walking into the stall will do an immediate about face while you go find an adult.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I suppose my answer is purely anecdotal, but I swear I remember a few years ago some guy calling into the Garrison show to say he'd found a weapon on the street turned it into the law and quite awhile later they called him to come down and get it, because no one claimed it. As I recall Garrison was surprised and also the guy didn't want the gun.

If the person is listed as "claimaint" on the property room form, they will get a call/letter to come get it. If they are listed as "finder", they won't. Probably just a paperwork error.

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    I believe that this has actually happened to a LEO before. The weapon in question was turned in the manager and law enforcement was called.

Personally I would render the weapon safe, leave a note, cover it and take it to the manager direct them to call Police and wait for them to arrive.

Explain the situation of how it was found and go about my way knowing I did all possible to ensure no one was injured and the rightful owner could get it returned.

I think this would be the best way to handle the situation. If the owner accidentally misplaced it while doing business that should give them enough time to contact the manager and they could wait for the police with us.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Someone's lost gun would not be enough for me to crawl on a restroom floor. Safest thing is take a giant dump in the toilet, cover the gun with TP, and walk out. Anyone walking into the stall will do an immediate about face while you go find an adult.
    I wonder if goodcat knows how to lock a restroom stall from outside. Maybe he's gone cashless and doesn't have any quarters. A couple of credit cards sandwiched together work just as well. I certainly wouldn't crawl on a restroom floor for someone else's mistake myself.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I hope you are all joking about the free Glock! Ha. I would first lock the stall, slide underneath and stand outside the restroom for 15 minutes or so. I would hate to alert the authorities should said gun belong to a patron who realized moments later. I believe management wouldn't be smart enough to transport said gun without DNA, in the case it was a hot weapon, which I doubt. Likely from there call the authorities and pray they don't charge the owner. I would hope the likely owner would return promptly, quick lecture, take care and be safe.

Charge the owner with what?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    What if the "free gun" you just found was used 20 minutes ago to kill a kid two streets away from here?
    What if it belongs to a State Trooper who forgot it there and the entire force is now looking for it?

:dunno:

So the entire force is looking for one lost weapon… and you have it… how do they know? Facial recognition on everybody who entered the restaurant, perhaps? Otherwise, they'll never find that weapon unless you turn it in for the reward or if it turns up in a crime scene. Or potentially if there is a system where FFLs report serial numbers of "wanted" guns if they ever come into the store.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    If turned into the police and no one claims it after a certain amount of time, dont they have to give it back to you?

Isn't it a pain in the butt for people to get back their own gun if the cops take possession of it? I wouldn't expect to get it back if you turn it in.

Probably too good to be true.
    They probably destroy it (if it was not linked to any case) or one of the officers get to take it home.

Seems most likely to me.
    I suppose my answer is purely anecdotal, but I swear I remember a few years ago some guy calling into the Garrison show to say he'd found a weapon on the street turned it into the law and quite awhile later they called him to come down and get it, because no one claimed it. As I recall Garrison was surprised and also the guy didn't want the gun.

Lucky guy.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Not sure why everybody is worried about their finger prints. If you turn it into police and the gun was used in a crime there is good reason if your prints are on it. I would say first thing is to unload and make the gun safe. Don't go walking around handing strangers/manager a loaded gun.

I also thought the first thing to do should be to make the weapon safe.

But I do also see a benefit to not contaminating it. If it _was_ used in a crime, I'd rather not mess up the prints already on it and thereby ruin the prosecution's case. I'm not worried about mine being on there since there's the obvious reason they are on it: I found it, made it safe, and reported it.

But I also don't want to screw over some other guy who could be just like me (or maybe even a nicer guy than me) who made an honest mistake and left it behind. I know there are threads on INGO about what to do with your gun while using a public restroom, and many people talk about unholstering it so that it won't fall out on its own. Could've been what happened. After he stood up, he didn't turn around, didn't see it, and walked out without it. I'd be super grateful if another INGOer helped me get it back after a mistake like that. (Of course, after some military training, I think I'm less likely to fail at weapons accountability like that, but my point remains.)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So the entire force is looking for one lost weapon… and you have it… how do they know? Facial recognition on everybody who entered the restaurant, perhaps? Otherwise, they'll never find that weapon unless you turn it in for the reward or if it turns up in a crime scene. Or potentially if there is a system where FFLs report serial numbers of "wanted" guns if they ever come into the store.

Maybe they are security cameras in the parking lot of the public place so they have licence plate of all the people who left the building after the gun was lost.
    Maybe someone who knows you told the police they saw you leaving the restroom. :dunno:

You might just get in trouble if they knock on your door two days after you found the gun and you still haven't contacted the police about it . :dunno:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not about to go trying to clear a gun that I randomly find in a restroom. For all I know it's been the victim of some amateur gun smithing with and will end up with an ND occurring. I'm also not going to trust some random restaurant manager, I'm going to use my cell to call the police and let them deal with it. One of two scenarios played out here: Some gun owner was stupid enough to leave his firearm or some dbag was getting rid of some evidence. In either case they need a good scare from one of our local officers.

I cannot believe some of you are suggesting picking the thing up and clearing it...

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom