• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Personally, I would call the police and unload the firearm. All of this while wearing nitrile gloves of course. ;) Ah the perks of being prepared.

And I would request that the Glock be given to me if A) no one claims it and B) it wasn't used in a crime.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Heard on the news yesterday that a persons cell phone has 8 times more germs then a toilet seat. Wonder how many that Glock has?

DMNewton69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If it were me I would take it. Leave a not there with your contact info and tell them if what was there was theirs and the tell you what it was and show proof of ownership they can have it back. If no one contacts you free gun. I don't think I would trust the management with a firearm. You never know their intelligence or honesty. Just think that would be the easiest and most common sense way of handling it.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    When I was in a crew and we murdered someone in a restaurant, we would just drop the gun and slowly walk out. Don't return the gun to its original owner......

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If it were me I would take it. Leave a not there with your contact info and tell them if what was there was theirs and the tell you what it was and show proof of ownership they can have it back. If no one contacts you free gun. I don't think I would trust the management with a firearm. You never know their intelligence or honesty. Just think that would be the easiest and most common sense way of handling it.

Dear Unknown and Irresponsible Stranger,

I have your gun. Please stop by my house at
    ........ to claim it. Please bring proof of ownership or a naked picture of your wife or girlfriend. Do not bring a picture of your boyfriend. We will drink beer and sing kumbiya together. No need to involve the JBTs as they will tread on your rights. Be safe.

VERT

DMNewton69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Dear Unknown and Irresponsible Stranger,

I have your gun. Please stop by my house at
    ........ to claim it. Please bring proof of ownership or a naked picture of your wife or girlfriend. Do not bring a picture of your boyfriend. We will drink beer and sing kumbiya together. No need to involve the JBTs as they will tread on your rights. Be safe.

VERT

Something along those lines

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'd probably make it safe and take it out to my car and put it in the trunk, put the serial number in my phone, and let management know that I have it and that if anybody comes in reporting they left a gun in the bathroom to give them my number. I'd then give it a month - if they don't get back with the restaurant to report it lost and, in the process, get in touch with you - guess you got yourself a free gun. Probably good to check the serial [if possible] to see if it's reported stolen if you intend to keep it if nobody tries to claim it.

If I didn't do that - I'd probably take it out to the car and then file a non-emergency report so the police can take it/hold onto it/whatever if I didn't want to hold onto it myself until the person returned to claim it.

I would not hand/provide the firearm to the management team unless one of the could present a LTCH and beyond that - I would have to trust that person to do the right thing and not simply keep/steal it. I know I would return it to the owner if they contacted me but there are people out there that would take such an item and keep/sell it and lie to the owner about having had it turned in... Sad as that is.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'd probably make it safe and take it out to my car and put it in the trunk, put the serial number in my phone, and let management know that I have it and that if anybody comes in reporting they left a gun in the bathroom to give them my number. I'd then give it a month - if they don't get back with the restaurant to report it lost and, in the process, get in touch with you - guess you got yourself a free gun. Probably good to check the serial [if possible] to see if it's reported stolen if you intend to keep it if nobody tries to claim it.

I recently had a friend find a handgun at the edge of one of his fields. He reported it to the county Sheriff. The owner of the gun had already called in and reported it missing. Apparently the owner placed the gun on top of his tool box and forgot it, gun flew off, hit the road and landed in the field. Gun was return, road rash and all. Point is the gun was reported as missing and the owner was looking for it.

1) Don't give loaded guns to other people. In fact we really shouldn't be passing loaded guns around amongst ourselves. The gun either needs to be in a holster or safely pointed downrange. Safety, Safety, Safety. This gun is not in Use and needs to be unloaded.

2) Report this to both management and the police. The owner is probably looking for it. If the owner wanted to lose it deliberately they would have hid it and there is a reason that they are not looking to find it again. Either way the police need to be involved.

3) Remember to wipe twice and wash your hands.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    1) Don't give loaded guns to other people. In fact we really shouldn't be passing loaded guns around amongst ourselves. The gun either needs to be in a holster or safely pointed downrange. Safety, Safety, Safety. This gun is not in Use and needs to be unloaded.
    Aye - the first thing I would do is to make it safe in as safe a way as possible. Finding a 'safe' backdrop in a public place [or even a bathroom] could be tedious/difficult at best. I suppose I'd rather blow up a toilet than a person though. Without knowing the firearm it could be damaged and could go off when it is handled/made safe so I would treat the unknown firearm with as much caution as possible.

2) Report this to both management and the police. The owner is probably looking for it. If the owner wanted to lose it deliberately they would have hid it and there is a reason that they are not looking to find it again. Either way the police need to be involved.
    I would leave contacting the police up to the management if they chose to do so - but would not hand the firearm over to the management team. If the police want to come and take possession of it that's fine with me. At the end of the day it's not the police's job to help people find their lost/forgotten objects - it's the owner's responsibility to be responsible with their firearm.

3) Remember to wipe twice and wash your hands.
    This would apply when leaving a restroom regardless of whether you found a firearm or not :).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Aye - the first thing I would do is to make it safe in as safe a way as possible. Finding a 'safe' backdrop in a public place [or even a bathroom] could be tedious/difficult at best. I suppose I'd rather blow up a toilet than a person though. Without knowing the firearm it could be damaged and could go off when it is handled/made safe so I would treat the unknown firearm with as much caution as possible.

I would leave contacting the police up to the management if they chose to do so - but would not hand the firearm over to the management team. If the police want to come and take possession of it that's fine with me. At the end of the day it's not the police's job to help people find their lost/forgotten objects - it's the owner's responsibility to be responsible with their firearm.

I think a toilet bowl full of water is a fine backstop.

I agree it is not the job of police to be a lost and found. But if the gun is reported missing then guess what if a person decides to keep it...............

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I think a toilet bowl full of water is a fine backstop.

I agree it is not the job of police to be a lost and found. But if the gun is reported missing then guess what if a person decides to keep it...............
    Aye, and this is why I would check after having it for so long [say, 30 days] with the police to see if it's reported stolen - they don't need to know any more than that at that time. If it comes back stolen I'd hand it over and be on my way.

At the end of the day I generally try to avoid interactions with the police for the simple fact that they're only out there to enforce laws and not to make my day better.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...But if the gun is reported missing then guess what if a person decides to keep it...............

If it's reported missing, then they'll have to explain how. Wonder how that would affect the looser's "proper person" status for keeping their license after this reporting?
    Personally, I think if you are not responsible enough to keep track of your firearm, you are not responsible enough to carry it. :twocents:

cintile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    I think i would just leave it alone.. I can't think of any good reason a gun would be left like that lol

Tectron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    In today's media climate, I would quietly contact the police and let them hold the gun and contact the owner, especially not knowing the position of the management of the establishment. If the owner cant be found you get a free gun ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom