• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i dont do it...but i could see some germophobes having issues with their gun possibly touching the bathroom floor....matter of fact that seems gross to me....i guess you have to drop trou correctly and make sure the gun rests on top of your clothing...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    i dont do it...but i could see some germophobes having issues with their gun possibly touching the bathroom floor....matter of fact that seems gross to me....i guess you have to drop trou correctly and make sure the gun rests on top of your clothing...

If they are actually germophobes they probably dont go to public restrooms anyway.Because pretty much everything is as dirty (or even more dirty) than the floor.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Many people do that.I even heard some people hang in by the trigger guard if there is a hook on the door.
    :ugh:

I read an article about 25 years ago, when pinning the grip safety on 1911s was in vogue, about an undercover cop carrying one in his waistband, disengaging the safety during an arrest, hitting the john back at the station, and hanging up his gun, safety off, grip safety pinned, and the thing emptied itself firing as it gyrated about the hook. I understand he won the 'egg on the face' of the year award.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I read an article about 25 years ago, when pinning the grip safety on 1911s was in vogue, about an undercover cop carrying one in his waistband, disengaging the safety during an arrest, hitting the john back at the station, and hanging up his gun, safety off, grip safety pinned, and the thing emptied itself firing as it gyrated about the hook. I understand he won the 'egg on the face' of the year award.
    The original bumpfire.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep, if you have a IWB holster you can still remove it and keep the gun inside of it to prevent any NDs.

Why would you need to? I carry IWB and have never had to remove the gun/holster, etc and it never touches the floor, and is never out of my control.

Even when I was a scaredy cat and carried concealed, years ago, I didn't take my SIG out of its holster. Why is it necessary to do so?

Agreed, I have no idea, why anyone would need to do this.

I've never had an issue with my IWB holster even getting close to touching the floor. I don't understand it. There is NO reason for the gun, holster, etc to be removed or to lay on the floor.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I sometimes wonder how panic-mode I'd be in if I went to use a public restroom and after doing my business, somehow forgot my firearm.

And if it were me.... as much as I would enjoy a free gun, I would make sure nobody goes into that stall and inform the manager of that store that someone left their firearm in there.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    This whole thing sounds like a tv show.
    Waiting to see the production crew come out of the ceiling or spring thru the entrance.
    Better check for hidden cameras and mics.
    I tihnk I have been watching too much Mystery Diner this weekend.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I have my own, don't need to touch someone else's since I don't know where it's been :). No reason to get yet another person involved either. I probably wouldn't know the manager and don't want another unknown unknown in the equation (felon, having no clue what do to, etc). I'd be there to do my business in the first place, so i'd get the local popo on the horn while I'm taking care of business. Manager can find out when the popo gets there.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Ok , so what you're saying is , you're trapped in a bathroom stall in France with a gun and you don't know what to do ?

Well first thing's first , are there any Nazi's around ? No? Ok , good it's safe to come out .

Climb up on the toilet and lift one of the ceiling tiles out of place and climb in . Look for any sign of light and head towards it using your Ipad for light , it could be a way out , an opening .

If the opening isn't big enough , use the gun to enlarge it . Don't fire the gun , use it as a hammer and knock a bigger hole in the opening .

Use your clothing to make some rope (Bear Gryills style) so you can climb down the side of the building . This can be a tricky maneuver and you'll need to make sure your hydrated and up for the task .

So drink as much **** as you can before starting the climb .

Use your underwear to make a holster for your gun , but be sure to leave your socks on cause your feet will need some protection .

WAL- AHH ! Your out of the bathroom stall with your gun .

Next you'll need to get out of France and being that you're naked except for an underwear holster / gun and socks , this may be a bit trickier .
    No, no, I've been to France many times, you're still good at this point.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    ETA 2 - CPT Nervous. I have now read your later posts in the thread, after the one I quote below. I gotcha now. I think I'm going to leave these here, though, just for others to see the references to the older threads. /ETA

False. At least here. One of my best friends owns a gun shop. SBPD and MPD will not give him any info on stolen guns. You can sell a stolen gun with no issue. They don't put out reports or anything. If you lose a gun, report it to your local FFL dealers, and pawn shops after you contact LEO. The PDs around here don't do much to help recover your stolen firearms.

Oh, I was just thinking in hypotheticals. I wasn't saying that such a system exists, only supposing that such a system would provide a means for that end.

Also, WHO IN THE HELL takes their gun out of the holster to ****? I found a .38 snubbie in a porta john once. Ridiculous.

Well, the question of what to do with it when you have to use a public restroom was one of my very first threads back when I joined INGO, but I know others have started threads about it, too. It just so happens mine was the first result on Bing; here it is: Poll: What do you do with your gun when nature calls you to a public restroom? (August 2009)

And this is from the very first reply in the thread, from our very own beloved Bill of Rights. (ETA - Actually, the most common response in that poll is in fact to place it someplace not accessible from outside the stall, which could include placing it on the top of the tank.)

There have been a few threads on this. Some use the "hammock" method, others drop trou, then re-fasten pants at knee level.. holds everything right where it should be. Still others put it on the top of the tank, if there is one, or hang on the hook on the back of the door.

Blessings,
    Bill

So, you see, it apparently as much of as an unusual option as some might consider it to be. I can't say for sure if I've ever done it, but I could see why some might arrive at the conclusion that it is a good idea at the time.

I'd do the same as if I found a $500 bill laying there. Pocket it, and walk out. Anyone dumb enough to forget their gun deserves me to keep it. This includes LEOs. Let them take the lashing for losing it. I'll just sell it to a local FFL. :)

Fair enough. :spend:
    I kinda like that idea myself, to be honest. But then I think about how bad I'd feel, and how grateful I would be, if it ever happened to me and some good soul, a fellow gun owner like yourself, helped me out.

Last edited:

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    You should find the owner.

Do this by taking it out of the bathroom, go into the main restaurant area, hold it above your head where everyone, and the rightful owner can get a good look at it, and yell, LISTEN UP EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

Lol

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom