• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not sure why everybody is worried about their finger prints. If you turn it into police and the gun was used in a crime there is good reason if your prints are on it. I would say first thing is to unload and make the gun safe. Don't go walking around handing strangers/manager a loaded gun.

:+1:

I was surprised by that too.It's not like you just found the gun next to a dead body.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Look for one of these two:

Dining Police officer
    Massachusetts police officer suspended after leaving gun in courthouse bathroom | Fox News

or

Robert 'I left my gun I the bathroom' Blake

robert-blake-04.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Lets see, Pee 1st...post on ingo 2nd and free gun. Wait, a freaking glock and most likely a 9mm. Crap, thought I had a good find.

Absolutely you need to pee first. Older I get the smaller it seems my bladder is. Actually if you are in a stall it might mean that #1 priority is #2. And of course I am going to start a thread on INGO.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    If turned into the police and no one claims it after a certain amount of time, dont they have to give it back to you?
    I suppose my answer is purely anecdotal, but I swear I remember a few years ago some guy calling into the Garrison show to say he'd found a weapon on the street turned it into the law and quite awhile later they called him to come down and get it, because no one claimed it. As I recall Garrison was surprised and also the guy didn't want the gun.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    From my days of being a ladies' room peeper, I can tell you that they are quite different. There are free beer vending machines, midget bathroom attendants, and solid gold toilets. They don't trust the ladies to be clean enough to have nice things like this.

Well played sir, well played..

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Take the gun, leave a note in its place, with intructions to call the manager and leave a phone number, would use call block to call owner and evaluate the situation, if the owner didnt seem responsable enough, i would just use a cutting torch to destroy, and mail to owner.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There were two other threads a while back. One about how you shouldn't post your ham radio call sign on a publicly accessible web forum because there are databases where those can be used to look up your real identity and address.

Another one about whether, when posting pics of your own guns, one should blur out the serial numbers.

Thence comes the question. Is there a way a mere mortal can take the serial number from a firearm and search a publicly accessible database and find the real name and address of its last 4473 registered owner?

rcwill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'd probably go outside the door and ask the next person I saw to get the manager. Need to positively control the situation so some kid doesn't go in the stall and end up hurting himself or someone else.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There were two other threads a while back. One about how you shouldn't post your ham radio call sign on a publicly accessible web forum because there are databases where those can be used to look up your real identity and address.

Another one about whether, when posting pics of your own guns, one should blur out the serial numbers.

Thence comes the question. Is there a way a mere mortal can take the serial number from a firearm and search a publicly accessible database and find the real name and address of its last 4473 registered owner?

Well since there is no gun registration in Indiana you wouldn't able to find someone's address with the SN.
    You could just look if the gun was reported stolen or not.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Yeah that was my thought too.
    Plus besides just a legal problem you have no idea if the manager is trained to handle firearms.
    What if you bring him in the gun and the first thing he does is to hold it, finger on trigger, and shoot someone (maybe you) by accident? :dunno:
    Might be wise to advise him to call LE about it.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    If turned into the police and no one claims it after a certain amount of time, dont they have to give it back to you?
    I found a couple grand of music equipment, speakers, and lighting equipment all over the road one night. I was 16 or 17 and my dad told me to call the cops. Cops said they would see if they would ever get calls on it and if they didn't they would put it in an auction after a year. A year later, I called and no one had record of it.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    First thing....make the weapon SAFE! Unload that thing. Fingerprints or not, don't give anybody else the chance to hurt someone. As a responsible, experienced gun owner, it is your responsibility to take charge of the situation. I would tell the manager/owner about the gun, but I would not release it to them. That would be too much of a risky liability.

Top Bottom