• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I dont think that JY was talking about old lever action guns, I got the impression that he was talking about the modern style AR pattern guns in a pistol caliber. And even then he was talking about people using that as their "truck gun". The gun that they are fighting to get to if something terrible was the happen. In this case I agree with him. If the people I'm fighting are coming at me with rifle rounds and body armour, then a 9mm AR or Sub2k is not going to cut it. There is a reason that Armies do not outfit their troops with Sub guns. Sure an old Henry in .44 mag or .45-70 LC is gonna pack a punch, but that is not what he was getting at. Even then, I'll take a modern mag fed over a lever action any day when SHTF.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    As usual, I agree (mostly) with what Yeager is saying, but his delivery is a little too harsh for some thus hurting feelings. It's also too general, such as Indiana deer laws, if your range only allows handguns, blah blah blah. I don't think this was aimed at lever guns shooting revolver loads either, rather it's toward the auto loading pistol caliber stuff like the Kel-Tec sub, Beretta CX4, HiPoint, etc...... Not saying those rifles aren't fun to shoot, but you would be better served by a standard caliber'd carbine in a defensive situation.

I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of 9mm AR's, Sub2k's etc. I understand Que's point. And they can be a fun or useful "other" gun. But as a home defense or truck gun, why not just get a 5.56? It's not any heavier, but the difference in lethality is exponential.

Just my opinion, and for what it's worth, I didn't watch the video. And I won't, either.

If you live in an apartment complex and you don't really want to kill your next two neighbors...then you probably don't want a higher penetrating round....:twocents:

You are going to be hard pressed to find a projectile with less penetration inside a home than a 16" AR-15 shooting something like XM193 due to fragmentation and deformation. In general, pistol ammo sometimes has a tendency to skip off of things due to the relatively slow speed, and hot rifle ammo will deform and destroy itself upon impact.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    You are going to be hard pressed to find a projectile with less penetration inside a home than a 16" AR-15 shooting something like XM193 due to fragmentation and deformation. In general, pistol ammo sometimes has a tendency to skip off of things due to the relatively slow speed, and hot rifle ammo will deform and destroy itself upon impact.
    yep. The FBI study was pretty interesting. If you want something to blow through drywall and car doors at close range, 9mm FMJ is your go to. XM193 is an awesome round, flat shooting, fast, and while it doesn't have a lot of "Knock down" power, the tumble and fragmentation characteristics of it make it great for not over penetrating and doing lots of damage with an impressive hydro shock cavity.

as for the pistol caliber long guns, a 14.5-16in barrel is kinda stupid. For any pistol caliber, however when you get into AR15 pistols, 9mm, 10mm and even .45 have some advantages. Namely a 9mm AR15 pistol (perhaps with a sig brace) would be much easier to keep on target for multiple quick shots, and with a 7in barrel would be really quick handling. And there is always the uzi. But that's more blurring of the lines. A 10mm 5-7in barrel AR15 pistol that takes Glock magazines and a sit brace would be amazing.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Well, just to **** James "The Hutt" Yeager off, I'm looking to trade my LAR-15 for a Big Boy .357 now.... and shaving off this tacticool beard too.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Good ol JY. Lol. I admit I wasn't a fan in the past but he settled down and now I watch every video he puts out.

Take any platform where rifle and pistol calibers are available. When is pistol caliber actually better? I can only think of it being better for suppressing. I have both and enjoy both.

Yes there are a lot of pistol caliber long guns and sub guns out there and they've been used all over the world. However, it seems to me like they're being replaced by 223/556 rifles and SBR's.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So, here is how I imagine this video coming about..

James is talking to his buddies.. "You know, my YouTube hits are down, what controversial crap can I talk about to get my hit count back up?"

tada

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom