• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    For some reason that video reminds me of this video....

[video=youtube;A8QyNB7CYGU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8QyNB7CYGU[/video]

I am not sure why but this is what pops in my head after I watch one of his videos telling me how dumb I am.....

Here are mine....

Ruger 77/357
    Ruger 77/44
    Marlin 1894C 44 magnum
    Marlin 1894 .357 magnum
    Marlin 1894 .357 magnum (yes I have two because I love them long time)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I really don't think he's wrong at all. When you consider he is looking at it from a defensive stand point why would you want something less capable?? He's not looking at it as fun gun or something like many of us would. If you are in the "a long gun is better than a pistol" or "more lethal" or whatever it is everyone says then I don't think you can disagree with this, but that's just me...

If he were a "hobbyist" like most of us and like all guns, because well, guns.. Then it would be different. But why would you take an MP5 or a vector (long gun shooting pistol caliber) lets say over a 5.56 or a 300blk long gun? Just wouldn't make sense unless you are out "plinking" or some of the other reasons listed here. However, for "serious use" if you want to put it that way I see no reason not to go with the more capable rifle calibers over a pistol caliber.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I really don't think he's wrong at all. When you consider he is looking at it from a defensive stand point why would you want something less capable?? He's not looking at it as fun gun or something like many of us would. If you are in the "a long gun is better than a pistol" or "more lethal" or whatever it is everyone says then I don't think you can disagree with this, but that's just me...

If he were a "hobbyist" like most of us and like all guns, because well, guns.. Then it would be different. But why would you take an MP5 or a vector (long gun shooting pistol caliber) lets say over a 5.56 or a 300blk long gun? Just wouldn't make sense unless you are out "plinking" or some of the other reasons listed here. However, for "serious use" if you want to put it that way I see no reason not to go with the more capable rifle calibers over a pistol caliber.

Do you really want your round penetrating through multiple walls if you live in an apartment complex? I'm guessing you don't, but give that one a thought.

556 vs 9mm jhp

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    He is referring to the 9mm type of rifles geared toward self defense situations. Not the lever magnum guns or hunting.

Still want a Sub 2K for some reason. I think he is right for the most part. It serves no purpose other than it is neat and has some cool factor.

Other dude brought up a good point of apartment dwellers not wanting something real powerful. May actually fit that bill real nice. Stuff a long mag of the right ammo, a light, and maybe a dot sight. That could be a nice tool then again I think I would still rather have an 870 shotty instead in that situation.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Winchester sure has made a lot of money over the years from that stupid idea, along with Marlin and a few others.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If he were a "hobbyist" like most of us and like all guns, because well, guns.. Then it would be different.

My bad...I thought he was a "hobbyist" like the rest of us...I guess I never realized how wimpy .357 magnums and .44 magnums were when being fired out of a rifle....

I would not feel under gunned defending my home with either of my lever action's in handgun rounds...One of them, (.357 Magnum) along with a Smith and Wesson model 19 are the weapons I take to my property for the purpose of home defense....I have 3 AR's and a AK in 5.56 but they are my play around and plinking guns while the lever guns and the wheel guns are my serious defensive weapons....

Perhaps he lives in a tough neighborhood......Iraq or Syria maybe????

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Why does he settle for such wimpy rounds like 5.56 and 7.62x39? He should be using something more substantial like .50BMG or .585 Nyati.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    So submachine guns are "worthless for self defense"? What about all the sub guns used and still in use in the armed forces? What about the PPSH, MP40 and Tommy guns in WWII? Useless? If they didn't fill a niche that needed to be filled they wouldn't still be in service.

Not to mention states like Indiana that don't allow hunting with "real rifles".

Yeager.... :noway:

Also maybe one less pot of coffee a day would be good for him.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    My bad...I thought he was a "hobbyist" like the rest of us...I guess I never realized how wimpy .357 magnums and .44 magnums were when being fired out of a rifle....

I would not feel under gunned defending my home with either of my lever action's in handgun rounds...One of them, (.357 Magnum) along with a Smith and Wesson model 19 are the weapons I take to my property for the purpose of home defense....I have 3 AR's and a AK in 5.56 but they are my play around and plinking guns while the lever guns and the wheel guns are my serious defensive weapons....

I'm certainly not a fan of his at all, but if i needed to load up for urban issues I definitely would not feel under gunned with my one of my vintage MP5's and a Colt 1911 with both in 10mm, or the same in 9mm along with a 226.

And I'm real sure I can stitch a row with a MP5 alot faster than he can with a pistol.

For a guy who can't keep a job besides working for himself, Yeager is about as relevant to the firearm training industry as the Kardashians are to the working class of America.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Do you really want your round penetrating through multiple walls if you live in an apartment complex? I'm guessing you don't, but give that one a thought.

556 vs 9mm jhp

No I don't, where I live it's not one of my worries thankfully. Also at my house the most walls one is going to go through is 3 or 4 tops... If that's just dry wall 9mm will exit the house all the same. I'm thinking objectively in why take the lesser option when choosing.

I mean that some of us buy guns "for gun" I think he has made it clear before that he buys guns for self defense purposes. Not the hobby of "guns" and for fun.

I just am saying I personally am in the same boat and I would grab a 5.56 AR before grabbing a 9mm AR. However if I want to have fun and shoot a bunch of cheap subtonics out of a rifle I may very well buy a 9mm AR, but it still won't be my go to for defense...

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    No I don't, where I live it's not one of my worries thankfully. Also at my house the most walls one is going to go through is 3 or 4 tops... If that's just dry wall 9mm will exit the house all the same. I'm thinking objectively in why take the lesser option when choosing.

I mean that some of us buy guns "for gun" I think he has made it clear before that he buys guns for self defense purposes. Not the hobby of "guns" and for fun.

I just am saying I personally am in the same boat and I would grab a 5.56 AR before grabbing a 9mm AR. However if I want to have fun and shoot a bunch of cheap subtonics out of a rifle I may very well buy a 9mm AR, but it still won't be my go to for defense...

I don't think any of us are arguing that a pistol cartridge "long gun" is superior to a rifle. However, the generalization that JY states in this video, that all pistol cartridge "long guns" are stupid, is bordering on absurdity. I would personally prefer a 5.56, .308, 300 blk, etc rifle over a 9mm AR in a defensive situation (but not necessarily all situations), but that doesn't mean there isn't a time and a place for the latter.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just because you own a pistol-caliber rifle doesn't mean that is your only rifle.

Yet again Young Master Que has given us wisdom.

Guns are simply hand tools or golf clubs. Match the tool to the job.

Guys get all bent out of shape over the silly tool but forget that the mechanic controls.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I love my AR9 its a ton of fun and allows cheap training out back at the range, their far from "STUPID" as they have their use. That being said I don't plan on giving up any of my 5.56 chambered ARs either. I literally cant even watch a second of that guys videos, I would need a aspirin the size of a hockey puck after listening to that guy and from the headache that would ensue afterwards.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    This is a classic trick of hack gun writers. Find something fairly popular and go against it. Readers get mad and write the editor, the editor sees all those letters coming in as paying readers and is happy. It's all about stirring up a ruckus and reaping the benefits of it. I can't count the articles I read, "The .44 special is dead!", "why 9mm is better than .45 (.38 special, .40 s&w, etc)" and so on and so on...

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This is a classic trick of hack gun writers. Find something fairly popular and go against it. Readers get mad and write the editor, the editor sees all those letters coming in as paying readers and is happy. It's all about stirring up a ruckus and reaping the benefits of it...
    Ding Ding! Winner!

I just got a Keltec Sub2K, and while I have a short AK and love it, I have to say the small size and weight of the Sub2K, and the interchangeability of the mags with my Glock makes it a very attractive choice for a long gun to keep handy. There's been a saying that a {insert small gun of choice} that you will carry with you is better than a {.45 1911, etc} back in your safe. Same with long guns.

I can't count the articles I read, "The .44 special is dead!", "why 9mm is better than .45 (.38 special, .40 s&w, etc)" and so on and so on...
    I know, I know, how silly of them, everybody know 9's are tops, why bother?:wrongdoor:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Yes my 44 single shot is stupid. It's a piece of metal with no brains.

But it does a decent job of serving as a vehicle for projecting a bullet that drops a whitetail in its tracks, so I'm keeping it :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another reason why 9mm/.40S&W/.45ACP "long guns" make sense for defense is because you can suppress the noise much more effectively than you can a 5.56. A suppressed 9mm SBR in the house isn't going to bother you that much, even if you fire it inside a small room. A 5.56 SBR with a can is quieter than it would be without it by a long shot, but it's still going to make a significant pressure wave if you have to shoot it inside a small room.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom