Isn't it illegal to drive without your lights on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    You are contradicting yourself. You say that pulling people over to question them is solid police work, then you go on to talk about running plates and following people.

Rdunning plates and following IS solid police work.

Pulling people over simply because they violated section not-from-around-here on the local beat cop's watch is NOT solid police work.

I'm not trying to turn this into a gang-up-on-Kick party and I wish he would come back in and comment again. There is a line between doing good police work and breaking the law. That is crossed at pulling people over for no other reason than to ask who they are, where they are from, where they are going, can I see your papers please?

I see what your trying to do there. Not really very slick
    He did say he runs plates before he pulls people over... He didn't say he pulls them over for no reason, nor did he say he pulls over every car.

"While I can understand the hesitance to accept a police officer wanting to talk to someone and find out their info, just because he's talking to you doesn't mean he's going to use the info against you"

Just a quote from a another post. He never said he stopped cars for no reason. I would never applaud such a thing.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I see what your trying to do there. Not really very slick
    I'm practicing rhetoric by picking apart your arguments looking for contradictory statements and falsehoods, and tearing down your argument based on those - What are you trying to do? Aside from what we call an argument "ad hominim," in which you attack the person rather than the argument. By insinuating I have a deeper agenda, you are trying to discredit me. Rhetoric 101. Just out of curiosity, what DO you think I'm trying to do?

He did say he runs plates before he pulls people over... didn't say he doesn't. he should. He didn't say he pulls them over for no reason,*see below nor did he say he pulls over every car. not saying he does

Just a quote from a another post. He never said he stopped cars for no reason. I would never applaud such a thing.
    * his "reason" is that they are from "a decent distance away" and he just wants to talk to them. That is technically a reason for pulling them over compared to "oh I just feel like it," however, it is not legally valid PC to pull someone over.
    On the other hand, if the plate comes out of somewhere a decent distance away, I just like to talk to the person.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    * his "reason" is that they are from "a decent distance away" and he just wants to talk to them. That is technically a reason for pulling them over compared to "oh I just feel like it," however, it is not legally valid PC to pull someone over.

Competently false. What we have here is someone trying to sound smart and base their argument off lies. Read. Where does it say kick pulled someone over for having unfamiliar plates. He only mentions talking to them. You ASSUMED he pulled them over.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Competently false. What we have here is someone trying to sound smart and base their argument off lies. Read. Where does it say kick pulled someone over for having unfamiliar plates. He only mentions talking to them. You ASSUMED he pulled them over.
    Oh really? I'm the one making stuff up? I'm going off of what was posted on INGO. I ASSUMED nothing. He STATED that he stopped someone. The only assumption is that the person in paragraphs 2 and 3 of the post that I have cited about a half dozen times now are one and the same.
    On the other hand, if the plate comes out of somewhere a decent distance away, I just like to talk to the person...I'll most likely even cut him a little slack because, getting out of bed a 2:45 am isn't fun for anyone and when I stopped him, he was a pretty decent guy.
    I hope he pulled him over to stop him rather than blocking traffic in the middle of the street.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    He never said he stopped him without cause only mentioned there plates were not local and he stopped them.

What he said was that he ran the plates, found that they were not local and wanted to talk to them. He later referred to their demeanor after he stopped them. That adds up to he stopped them simply because he wanted to talk to them. That is not legal cause to pull someone over.

If you run the plates and there are no warrants out and no prior convictions for drunk driving, then there is no reason to stop someone. Simply wanting to talk to them is not just cause to pull someone over.

If their plates were not local and he had just reason to stop them, such as a warrant for armed robbery, this would not be an issue because they are completely unrelated. He is essentially saying that the combination of being out late at night/early in the morning and having non-local plates is cause to pull someone over. It is not.

Follow the little arrow link next to Kick's name and read it for yourself.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    What he said was that he ran the plates, found that they were not local and wanted to talk to them. He later referred to their demeanor after he stopped them. That adds up to he stopped them simply because he wanted to talk to them. That is not legal cause to pull someone over.

If you run the plates and there are no warrants out and no prior convictions for drunk driving, then there is no reason to stop someone. Simply wanting to talk to them is not just cause to pull someone over.

If their plates were not local and he had just reason to stop them, such as a warrant for armed robbery, this would not be an issue because they are completely unrelated. He is essentially saying that the combination of being out late at night/early in the morning and having non-local plates is cause to pull someone over. It is not.

Plates are contributing factor. Your behind a vehicle you don't recognize at 2:30am in a residential area you notice the plate light is out your probably going to stop that car. Opposed to seeing a plate light out on a vehicle you recognize. Just because he never told us what the infraction was does not mean there was done. Thats an assumption.

Also a history of OWI convictions is not a sufficient reason for a stop. Outside of positively identifying someone who is wanted or DWS or HTV. You must have an infraction.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Plates are contributing factor. Your behind a vehicle you don't recognize at 2:30am in a residential area you notice the plate light is out your probably going to stop that car. Opposed to seeing a plate light out on a vehicle you recognize. Just because he never told us what the infraction was does not mean there was done. Thats an assumption.

Also a history of OWI convictions is not a sufficient reason for a stop. Outside of positively identifying someone who is wanted or DWS or HTV. You must have an infraction.

The fact that he said he simply wanted to talk to them means that that was his only motivation in pulling them over. Kick, if I am twisting what you said, please tell me.

As for the History of OWI, you could make any arguement stick with that. "he was driving right after last call, I saw he had a history of OWI, so I wanted to talk to him" is a lot easier for me to swallow than "he was driving late, I saw he had out-of-town plates, so I wanted to talk to him." I say that simply because I know several families that have been torn apart by drunk drivers and I have a particular disdain for anyone who does so. OWI is a crime. OW not in your home town is not.

offroadking208

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Looks like another bash the police thread. Why is it everything on this forum ends up being about how terrible all police officers are? :rolleyes: Oh no! He has an interest in keeping his community safe by paying attention to the vehicles traveling through it! Heaven forbid he actually prevent a crime or two by being familiar with the area and its inhabitants. :nuts:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Looks like another bash the police thread. Why is it everything on this forum ends up being about how terrible all police officers are? :rolleyes: Oh no! He has an interest in keeping his community safe by paying attention to the vehicles traveling through it! Heaven forbid he actually prevent a crime or two by being familiar with the area and its inhabitants. :nuts:

+1 I don't care if he drove with his lights off. I also have never heard of cops flashing their lights so you flash yours, then writing you a ticket for having your lights off. Who cares, I hope everyone has bigger fish to fry than complaining about cops disobeying small traffic laws... :rolleyes:

signut49

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Wherever I want
    Not all cops are being bashed. It's just the ones that shove their weight around. I was wrong. You're Paul Blart. If you want to negative rep me or make a comment, do it here. Don't sneak around. Get a set of balls.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    You have got to be kidding me. I don't know anyone who did this when I was a LEO. I am not saying it never happens, but I don't think it is the common practice you make it out to be. Besides, it sounds more like something a lawyer would do.:):

Yea same here. I must have missed that class at the academy. I have never even heard of it to be honest.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North

:wow: You stretched that car into a limousine, huh? You also made an assumption about the plate lights being out. You completely made something up lol. You're a joke.

96, I tried repping you for going at it with Keyser Soze, the guy who pretends to be a police officer. Once he said he had nothing to hide from anyone, so I asked him what department he worked for (because I don't think he's a real officer) and he clammed up faster than a smart criminal in an interrogation room.

:baby:

I have an interest in driving from point A to point B without some jackass pulling me over because, "You ain't from 'round here...BOOOOYYYY." And my interest in traveling freely trumps their interest in playing Tom Cruise in Minority Report and trying to prevent me from committing a crime, by pulling me over willy-nilly. I'm not looking to chat with any officers on the road, and I won't chat with you if you pull me over, but I will chat with your boss, and I'll let my lawyer chat with all of us when you pull me over to ask where I was going, where I came from, if I know what time it is, what my occupation is, etc... Pull me over for my plate light being out, cool, thanks for the tip. Pull me over because I'm from out of town and driving at night? No thanks.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Can I follow a police car? :D

Baiting? When I was in high school APD had a muscle car with tinted windows. They would pull up next to you at a light and rev their engine. Then they would take off tires squeeling when the light turned green. They would do this at every light. I wasn't driving but my freind got caught up in the race and got pulled over.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    notice the plate light is out
    I'd have no problem whatsoever with an officer stopping me because my plate lights were out. I would have some problem with an officer stopping me only because I happen to be from somewhere else... THAT is what the discussion is about. Try to keep up here, man.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Can I follow a police car? :D

Baiting? When I was in high school APD had a muscle car with tinted windows. They would pull up next to you at a light and rev their engine. Then they would take off tires squeeling when the light turned green. They would do this at every light. I wasn't driving but my freind got caught up in the race and got pulled over.

Nuh-uh. I've never seen that happen, first-hand, so you must just be making this story up to make ALL cops look bad!

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Nuh-uh. I've never seen that happen, first-hand, so you must just be making this story up to make ALL cops look bad!

This was over 25 years ago so no current police officers are being made to look bad. I had heard rumors to this but never really paid much attention untill we got pulled over. I didn't get my muscle car untill the following year but I kept an eye out for that monte carlo with tinted windows. I would blown him away with my Z28.:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom