Isn't it illegal to drive without your lights on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Sorry but it is none of your busines why I am out, where I am going, where I came from. Write the ticket or let me go. PERIOD.

Wow. First it's spelled "business", not "busines". Second, even if you choose not to answer my questions. I am still going to know who you are, where you live, and if I really want to, I could simply follow you to find out where you are going. I would also most likely be able to figure out how regularly you travel that way. So, not talking to me will really do nothing for your cause other than give you an opportunity to feel like you showed me. But hey, if feeling like, you showed me can brighten up your day, I would be happy to be of service.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Wow. First it's spelled "business", not "busines". Second, even if you choose not to answer my questions. I am still going to know who you are, where you live, and if I really want to, I could simply follow you to find out where you are going. I would also most likely be able to figure out how regularly you travel that way. So, not talking to me will really do nothing for your cause other than give you an opportunity to feel like you showed me. But hey, if feeling like, you showed me can brighten up your day, I would be happy to be of service.

so you're the Grammar Police now too?

in all honesty, it isn't any of your business where we are going, and if you want to follow us and find out, go right ahead. Unless you see us break a law or our car matches a suspect vehicle description, let us go about our way. If you want to waste your time and follow Steve to his marina, go ahead. Just don't waste Steve's time by pulling him over when he's done nothing wrong.

The worst feeling ever is when you are doing nothing wrong and all of a sudden you see those cherries and berries behind you... even though they drive right past you, there's still the moment of "Oh crap, what is he gonna try to pin on me?" cuz we can't tell the good cops from the ones that are going to write us a ticket just for ****s and giggles.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I work straight midnights. Midnight till 8am. With few exceptions, there are only cops and crooks out during a good portion of my shift. I run every plate before I stop the car. If the plate comes back out of my town and near by, I usually follow them home, stop at the bottom of the driveway, make sure they make it inside ok and waive. About 20% of the people actually stop and talk to me.

On the other hand, if the plate comes out of somewhere a decent distance away, I just like to talk to the person. See where they are coming from and going to. If they are legit, they usually don't mind answering the questions. If I see them again, I just know that it's Tuesday at 3:30am and that Steve has to open the dock early because it's truck day.

I'll most likely even cut him a little slack because, getting out of bed a 2:45 am isn't fun for anyone and when I stopped him, he was a pretty decent guy. I take pride in knowing my beat, what goes on in my beat, and who comes through my beat.

Believe it or not, I even enjoy trying to get to know as many citizens I serve as I can.
    This used to be considered good police work, especially in smaller towns. Caught bad guys and made the locals feel more secure. Too bad abuses have made society more suspicious of police.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois

in all honesty, it isn't any of your business where we are going, and if you want to follow us and find out, go right ahead. Unless you see us break a law or our car matches a suspect vehicle description, let us go about our way. If you want to waste your time and follow Steve to his marina, go ahead. Just don't waste Steve's time by pulling him over when he's done nothing wrong.

The worst feeling ever is when you are doing nothing wrong and all of a sudden you see those cherries and berries behind you... even though they drive right past you, there's still the moment of "Oh crap, what is he gonna try to pin on me?" cuz we can't tell the good cops from the ones that are going to write us a ticket just for ****s and giggles.

Knowing what goes on in my beat is literally my business. Pulling someone over when they have done nothing wrong would be illegal. We either need to see a violation or reasonably suspect that the vehicle was involved in illegal activity.

I would really hate to live in the part of Indiana some of you guys live in. It seems like you can't turn a corner without getting your rights violated or your feelings hurt.

(I actually used to think the upper left corner I lived in was the worst part of the state)

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    This used to be considered good police work, especially in smaller towns. Caught bad guys and made the locals feel more secure. Too bad abuses have made society more suspicious of police.

I still consider it good police work. Some people are a little apprehensive at first but, it actually gets some people that were very skeptical of the police to call us again. I've been flagged down a couple times by people who let me know that it was them that called "the other day". It makes ya feel good when they say stuff like, I normally wouldn't have called but, I knew it would be you checking it out. I can catch a lot more real bad guys if people call me and let me know if something doesn't look right to them.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If a car is tailgating you and driving in a threatening or aggressive manner you should call 911 and report them.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    All police officers working nights at one point in time or another, have operated their vehicle on a public road with no headlights. Two blocks, they probably just forgot.

They forgot? Does that excuse work for me too? I forgot I was drunk. Oops.

You have got to be kidding me. I don't know anyone who did this when I was a LEO. I am not saying it never happens, but I don't think it is the common practice you make it out to be. Besides, it sounds more like something a lawyer would do.:):

I've seen it plenty of times.

I just wish they would use their turn signals.

Seriously, I do too.

I work straight midnights. Midnight till 8am. With few exceptions, there are only cops and crooks out during a good portion of my shift.

:eek: And you think we live in a bad part of the state?

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just wish they would use their turn signals.

I just wish people in general would use their turn signals. If anything would be likely to send me into road rage, it would probably be lack of turn signals.

Knowing what goes on in my beat is literally my business. Pulling someone over when they have done nothing wrong would be illegal. We either need to see a violation or reasonably suspect that the vehicle was involved in illegal activity.

On the other hand, if the plate comes out of somewhere a decent distance away, I just like to talk to the person. See where they are coming from and going to. If they are legit, they usually don't mind answering the questions. If I see them again, I just know that it's Tuesday at 3:30am and that Steve has to open the dock early because it's truck day.

So you admit to illegal activity then?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If anything would be likely to send me into road rage, it would probably be lack of turn signals.

And not stopping by the stop sign near Kirk's house.

I mean, come on, it's a residential neighborhood with lots of kids running, scootering and bicycling around. Stop at the sign already, jeez.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    And not stopping by the stop sign near Kirk's house.

I mean, come on, it's a residential neighborhood with lots of kids running, scootering and bicycling around. Stop at the sign already, jeez.

I usually don't see that from a car, I usually see that from the yard, so I don't quite know if that counts as road rage or not. it is really annoying though.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I just wish people in general would use their turn signals. If anything would be likely to send me into road rage, it would probably be lack of turn signals.

So you admit to illegal activity then?

He did say he runs plates before he pulls people over... He didn't say he pulls them over for no reason, nor did he say he pulls over every car.

While I can understand the hesitance to accept a police officer wanting to talk to someone and find out their info, just because he's talking to you doesn't mean he's going to use the info against you.

When I drive to work, it's during the shift he described. I am one of those few exceptions-neither cop nor crook. It is possible that I could be pulled over for a traffic infraction. If the officer, after talking with me, exercised his discretion and chose to not cite me, it would not be because I didn't do what was alleged (nor would it mean I had done it), it would mean he thought it was not worth the time to be a male appendage for the sake of a few bucks in the city or county coffers. If it happened in the county where I work, they likely know me. If it's in the county where I live, there's a chance they know me there, too.

He's not being a Nazi Gestapo JBT, he's doing, as has been said, what cops used to do all the time: knowing the people in his beat and recognizing something out of the ordinary... or something new that's just become something ordinary in his beat. I don't think this is a bad thing at all in and of itself. If abused, that is, if he IS pulling over cars for no real reason, pulling over drivers solely because they happen to be of a certain skin color, gender, or nationality, etc., we have another matter entirely and that IS a bad thing and should be actionable.

Blessings,
    Bill

signut49

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Wherever I want
    Nice avatar. Are those the hobnailed boots the Gestapo used to wear? How appropriate. Typical attitude. Disrespect and intimidation. You're a disgrace to all the mall cops of the world.

Last edited:

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN

Wow!
    I hate to say it, but I believe the feeling I get from a blacked out police cruiser following me home is about the same way I would feel if a blacked out Civic or Cutlass followed me home...far from safe.

I'm sure it was an isolated incident.
    DEFINITELY, lol

in all honesty, it isn't any of your business where we are going,

The worst feeling ever is when you are doing nothing wrong and all of a sudden you see those cherries and berries behind you... cuz we can't tell the good cops from the ones that are going to write us a ticket just for ****s and giggles.

Man what an awesome post

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    He did say he runs plates before he pulls people over... He didn't say he pulls them over for no reason, nor did he say he pulls over every car.

While I can understand the hesitance to accept a police officer wanting to talk to someone and find out their info, just because he's talking to you doesn't mean he's going to use the info against you.
    Particularly what I highlighted was where I'm drawing my concern. He states that he'll run a plate and if its from a long way away, he'll pull them over and talk to them. see below the break
    ...I don't think this is a bad thing at all in and of itself. If abused, that is, if he IS pulling over cars for no real reason, pulling over drivers solely because they happen to be of a certain skin color, gender, or nationality, etc., we have another matter entirely and that IS a bad thing and should be actionable.
    I don't necesarily think he has a bad thing going either by getting to know his beat and the people within it, but I don't think he should be pulling them over to do so. Especially early in the morning/late at night on the graveyard shift, if a cop pulls me over just to ****-chat(why does the language filter flag "c h i t"?), I'm prolly gonna ask if he has a ticket for me or if I can go, and then say something un-Christian about him keeping me from my pillow and leave.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Particularly what I highlighted was where I'm drawing my concern. He states that he'll run a plate and if its from a long way away, he'll pull them over and talk to them.

That's what I'm reading also. Unless he's pulling up next to them and yelling out the window.

:)

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    It is not about who showed who. It's about me not giving you info just because you think you deserve it because you have the badge. Go bully someone else. This is the attitude that gives leos a bad name. Pulling someone over just because they don't live close?? That is the infraction you use to pull someone over? I bet it isn't. I bet that's when the "weaving in and out" or "didn't use a turn signal" excuse comes out so it looks better on the report than he didn't live close. Just because I drive through your beat on your watch doesn't make my BUSINESS your BUSINESS. **** up a rope.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom