Isn't it illegal to drive without your lights on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

other guy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    Knowing what goes on in my beat is literally my business. Pulling someone over when they have done nothing wrong would be illegal. We either need to see a violation or reasonably suspect that the vehicle was involved in illegal activity.

I would really hate to live in the part of Indiana some of you guys live in. It seems like you can't turn a corner without getting your rights violated or your feelings hurt.

(I actually used to think the upper left corner I lived in was the worst part of the state)
    Here where I live if you are out late at night you will be pulled over,unless the police know you. As far as probable cause, if there is none, they will make something up. Like, you didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign, or you crossed the centerline. They feel they are doing the community a service by keeping drunks and drugs off the streets. The only problem I have with this is while they spend all their time keeping us safe from drunks the real crimminals are breaking into our homes and businesses and getting away with it. O well , you can't wn for losing.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Here where I live if you are out late at night you will be pulled over,unless the police know you. As far as probable cause, if there is none, they will make something up. Like, you didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign, or you crossed the centerline. They feel they are doing the community a service by keeping drunks and drugs off the streets. The only problem I have with this is while they spend all their time keeping us safe from drunks the real crimminals are breaking into our homes and businesses and getting away with it. O well , you can't wn for losing.

There has been a big debate about this ever since precious metal theft got real big about there years ago. Aggressive patrol will make you more visible and there is a small chance of catching someone in the act. On the other hand thieves need to travel and a lot of guys think your more likely to get them on a traffic stop rather than patrol. Traffic stops are better at yielding measurable results. Patrol is a better deterrent. I the department is large enough there should be officers doing both

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I never volunteered anything other than the fact that I thought kick was doing good police work. Someone said something to the affect, oh yea stopping cars for no reason good police work. Thats where the whole thing got started 4 pages ago. I stated kick had a reason to stop the vehicle but he didnt mention it in the post. Then I go back and forth with people like you for a few pages. I never tried to change his story. I'm not trolling.

when I read kick's post...I assumed the PC for the stops was implied in the post, I guess since Kick didn't break down his PC they must be all bad stops

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    Keyser, we can go back in the thread and read for ourselves. We don't have to take your word for it, have a time machine, or a voice recorder. I can just click Page 2, Quote, and make you look craaaaazy.

Talk about slick, lol. He didn't say he pulls them over for no reason. The reason he gives is emboldened for you, special buddy. To find out where they've been and where they're going. :D

Stopping a car is pulling over a car. It isn't an assumption that he pulled them over. I italicized this part and emboldened it for you, special buddy. :D

And this is the part where you completely made something up. Kick never mentions anything about a bulb being out. He only mentioned the plate was unfamiliar and he pulled them over to find out where they were and where they were going.

^ talk about spelling it out lol :yesway:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Originally Posted by Kick
    I work straight midnights. Midnight till 8am. With few exceptions, there are only cops and crooks out during a good portion of my shift. I run every plate before I stop the car. If the plate comes back out of my town and near by, I usually follow them home, stop at the bottom of the driveway, make sure they make it inside ok and waive. About 20% of the people actually stop and talk to me.

On the other hand, if the plate comes out of somewhere a decent distance away, I just like to talk to the person. See where they are coming from and going to. If they are legit, they usually don't mind answering the questions. If I see them again, I just know that it's Tuesday at 3:30am and that Steve has to open the dock early because it's truck day.

I'll most likely even cut him a little slack because, getting out of bed a 2:45 am isn't fun for anyone and when I stopped him, he was a pretty decent guy. I take pride in knowing my beat, what goes on in my beat, and who comes through my beat.

Believe it or not, I even enjoy trying to get to know as many citizens I serve as I can.
    Really? You pull people over who aren't from there and question them, just because you want to find out who they are and why they're traveling "through your beat?"

Look at where it's stated that "I'll most likely even cut them a little slack", That would about cover it for most sane human beings. They would be able to put the 2 and 2 together to realize that it would mean verbally warn them for the infraction they committed and not cite them.

I saw a lot of posts about that and Wow. Sorry that I have not had a chance to log on the last couple days and clear that up.

EDIT: Just read more into my post that caused most of the drama. "I also posted that I run every plate before I stop the car." That pretty much means, I see an infraction, I run the plate, I stop the car, or if they are local, I follow them home.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Community policing: I guess it only works on Andy Griffith. Then again, the folks in small, tight-knit communities like "Mayberry" are a different quality of people. Kind of a by-gone era I guess. People can say the police have changed, police can say the people have changed. The answers my friend, are blowin' in the wind...

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Ok, I made a post to address the allegations of making stops without having any legal justification. I then went back and edited it. I was attempting not to post a long rebuttal like the one I am about to post but, I just feel that it needs to be done.

As stated in previous posts, I do not and have not stopped cars "just to talk to someone". I posted those words to address the posters who stated not to talk to the police under any circumstances. I even posted a few posts after the post in question that stopping cars for that sole reason would be illegal.

I am not a mall cop. I do not wish to post the exact agency I work for. There are many reasons. Examples showing most of them can be found in this very thread. I work for a town in south suburban Cook County, Illinois. For those of you who do not know where that is, it is about 20 minutes south of Chicago. Before the question is asked, yes my agency does permit me to work in Illinois and live in Indiana. About half of the people I work with do the same.

The main reason for this elongated post is that the posts I have read in response to my post in question. I am both amazed and saddened by them. Forget the labels like "cop" or "cop basher". We are all people. What happened to believing in the best in people. Before anyone posts, "Then why do we have cops?" or, "That went out the window in the 50's", when we are discussing other topics this is not an issue. No one has to post that they were OCing at ABC business in XYZ town (with their LTCH and their legally acquired firearm). We all just assume that as members of this forum and fellow gun enthusiast, we obey the law. Why was the same not assumed of me? Am I not a member of this board? Am I not a fellow gun enthusiast? Or has a label changed the way that my posts are read?

Before anyone posts "Cops break the law" or "There are too many 'isolated incidents' lately.", please remember, there are stories on the news everyday about guns being misused to commit crimes just like there are cops who misuse the uniform to commit crimes. The only difference here is that we all assume, that because we are here, we are not the whack-jobs who commit crimes with guns that are seen on the news. However, unfortunately, that assumption only applies to me as a gun enthusiast here. It does not carry over to my chosen profession.

I look at this forum and see it as a fellowship of fellow gun enthusiast. Some of us may think that the government is trying to do unmentionable things to us through the use of modern medicine. Others may think that those posters have lost their marbles. Some of us think CC is the way to go. Others think that OC is the way God intended us to carry. Some of us may think that constitutional carry is a right that has been denied to the American People. Others are happy that there is a licensing problem. Some of us may think that felons should not be able to possess firearms under any circumstances. Others read stories like one member's in particular and see fault in the current law. We have all of these disagreements but in the end, it usually stays civil and it is still one united forum of gun enthusiasts. The threads almost never result in name calling or insults.

Why did this thread degenerate into insults and name calling directed specifically at me?

Why did some posters try and read so far between the lines that they lost sight of all of the original content?

Why did other posters jump on the bandwagon?

Can someone please explain to me why the assumption that I am a decent, hardworking, person does not apply to me as a person?

I suppose that I will not likely get answers to most of those questions but, I would like to state that I have been making an effort to post in this section more frequently in an attempt to bridge the gap between the "cops" and the "cop bashers" but, I can see that me efforts have failed. If anything, they have only added fuel to the fire.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I suppose that I will not likely get answers to most of those questions but, I would like to state that I have been making an effort to post in this section more frequently in an attempt to bridge the gap between the "cops" and the "cop bashers" but, I can see that me efforts have failed. If anything, they have only added fuel to the fire.
    There is a lot of failure in this section...but your efforts to become involved and "bridge the gap" wasn't one of them.

You were posting more...answering questions and giving explanations. That's not what a small handful of people here want. No matter what you do or attempt to do...you're not going to change the minds of that group.

Most have an axe to grind. Other just look for a bandwagon to jump on.

I applaud your efforts...none the less.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    There is a lot of failure in this section...but your efforts to become involved and "bridge the gap" wasn't one of them.

You were posting more...answering questions and giving explanations. That's not what a small handful of people here want. No matter what you do or attempt to do...you're not going to change the minds of that group.

Yup!! :yesway:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!

Well said my friend. Oh and I posted in this thread!! :D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ok, I made a post to address the allegations of making stops without having any legal justification. I then went back and edited it. I was attempting not to post a long rebuttal like the one I am about to post but, I just feel that it needs to be done.

As stated in previous posts, I do not and have not stopped cars "just to talk to someone". I posted those words to address the posters who stated not to talk to the police under any circumstances. I even posted a few posts after the post in question that stopping cars for that sole reason would be illegal.

I am not a mall cop. I do not wish to post the exact agency I work for. There are many reasons. Examples showing most of them can be found in this very thread. I work for a town in south suburban Cook County, Illinois. For those of you who do not know where that is, it is about 20 minutes south of Chicago. Before the question is asked, yes my agency does permit me to work in Illinois and live in Indiana. About half of the people I work with do the same.

The main reason for this elongated post is that the posts I have read in response to my post in question. I am both amazed and saddened by them. Forget the labels like "cop" or "cop basher". We are all people. What happened to believing in the best in people. Before anyone posts, "Then why do we have cops?" or, "That went out the window in the 50's", when we are discussing other topics this is not an issue. No one has to post that they were OCing at ABC business in XYZ town (with their LTCH and their legally acquired firearm). We all just assume that as members of this forum and fellow gun enthusiast, we obey the law. Why was the same not assumed of me? Am I not a member of this board? Am I not a fellow gun enthusiast? Or has a label changed the way that my posts are read?

Before anyone posts "Cops break the law" or "There are too many 'isolated incidents' lately.", please remember, there are stories on the news everyday about guns being misused to commit crimes just like there are cops who misuse the uniform to commit crimes. The only difference here is that we all assume, that because we are here, we are not the whack-jobs who commit crimes with guns that are seen on the news. However, unfortunately, that assumption only applies to me as a gun enthusiast here. It does not carry over to my chosen profession.

I look at this forum and see it as a fellowship of fellow gun enthusiast. Some of us may think that the government is trying to do unmentionable things to us through the use of modern medicine. Others may think that those posters have lost their marbles. Some of us think CC is the way to go. Others think that OC is the way God intended us to carry. Some of us may think that constitutional carry is a right that has been denied to the American People. Others are happy that there is a licensing problem. Some of us may think that felons should not be able to possess firearms under any circumstances. Others read stories like one member's in particular and see fault in the current law. We have all of these disagreements but in the end, it usually stays civil and it is still one united forum of gun enthusiasts. The threads almost never result in name calling or insults.

Why did this thread degenerate into insults and name calling directed specifically at me?

Why did some posters try and read so far between the lines that they lost sight of all of the original content?

Why did other posters jump on the bandwagon?

Can someone please explain to me why the assumption that I am a decent, hardworking, person does not apply to me as a person?

And it's too soon for me to rep either one of you again.

I've also been absent from this thread the past few days. What I see here on returning has me shaking my head in disbelief, although knowing some of the 'tudes here on INGO, I suppose it shouldn't.

Here's the crux of it. Not everyone whose job includes wearing a police uniform is a good person.

By the same token, not everyone who carries a LTCH in his/her wallet is a good person.

By and large, most of both groups are. IMHO, the people who raise the loudest stink against the police and look the hardest for fault where there is none to be found are the ones about whom I'd be most concerned if I wore a badge, LTCH or not. If someone has that much of a problem with authority, I'd be inclined to wonder why, and I'd be inclined to make myself aware of what the members of that group was doing- not violating rights or harassing, but being aware of them... call it being in Code Yellow- as a possible threat to me and to my coworkers.

Getting back to Kick's post, he said he runs everyone he pulls over before he pulls them over. He never said he pulls over everyone, nor did he say he pulled them over ONLY to talk with them. It takes someone looking for fault to find it there.

We were doing very well with the "cop bashing" not being as much of an issue for quite a long time. I expect to see it toned down now. Call that a moderately-friendly request. I don't want it to have to be addressed under rule #1 as trolling, flaming, or personal attacks. Some of the posts in this thread are very, very close to that line. None have yet been removed. I won't rule out that some might be.

Thanks, all, for keeping your posts civil and well-mannered hereafter.

Blessings,
    Bill

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    And it's too soon for me to rep either one of you again.

I've also been absent from this thread the past few days. What I see here on returning has me shaking my head in disbelief, although knowing some of the 'tudes here on INGO, I suppose it shouldn't.

Here's the crux of it. Not everyone whose job includes wearing a police uniform is a good person.

By the same token, not everyone who carries a LTCH in his/her wallet is a good person.

By and large, most of both groups are. IMHO, the people who raise the loudest stink against the police and look the hardest for fault where there is none to be found are the ones about whom I'd be most concerned if I wore a badge, LTCH or not. If someone has that much of a problem with authority, I'd be inclined to wonder why, and I'd be inclined to make myself aware of what the members of that group was doing- not violating rights or harassing, but being aware of them... call it being in Code Yellow- as a possible threat to me and to my coworkers.

Getting back to Kick's post, he said he runs everyone he pulls over before he pulls them over. He never said he pulls over everyone, nor did he say he pulled them over ONLY to talk with them. It takes someone looking for fault to find it there.

We were doing very well with the "cop bashing" not being as much of an issue for quite a long time. I expect to see it toned down now. Call that a moderately-friendly request. I don't want it to have to be addressed under rule #1 as trolling, flaming, or personal attacks. Some of the posts in this thread are very, very close to that line. None have yet been removed. I won't rule out that some might be.

Thanks, all, for keeping your posts civil and well-mannered hereafter.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Bill...I've always respected everything you've posted here. I haven't always agreed with it....but I've respected it. As well as the other Mods. But seriously...stop wasting your breath. There are about a half dozen *******s on here that you're never going to change their minds or perceptions.

Either let them post the trash they always do...or put an end to it once and for all. The energy wasted on attempting to sway their minds could be much better spent. IMO, of course.

My outlook has changed...rather than attempt to change the way they see these interactions....I'm just going to start calling it the BS that it is.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom