Isn't it illegal to drive without your lights on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Couldn't you just lie and make up a reason to stop someone? Seems easier then "baiting"

You can, but it complicates things, especially if there is a camera. Remember, some of us have cameras too.;)

people with no lights on are usually, elderly, drunk, or just bought the car and don't know how to turn them on.

Or cops looking for bait.:laugh:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Isn't it illegal to kick in somebodies door and shoot their dog....oh wait, it's illegal to kick in a door and shoot a person...no, wait, it's illegal to shoot somebody for walking down the street...no, dammit, wait it's illegal to...aww hell, never mind.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    It's a police tactic called "traffic baiting". Similar to baiting when on foot.

Police will commit an infraction in order to have you commit an infraction in response so you can be pulled over. We see it a lot on the interstate. Officer rides your bumper to cause you to switch lanes or speed up so not to be hit or pull over in too close to the car in the other lane, you then get pulled over.

They drive up behind you so you will turn off your light and then flip them back off to signal them. The police then pull you over for failure to use your lights.

Not every officer does it, but you need to be aware of it. Just be cool, drive safely and blow kisses at him when he passes you giving you the #1 signal.:D

Have you seen any of these cases make it to court?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I drive with my headlights off all the damn time. I'm not trying to bait people into anything. I'm simply trying to catch people walking around in neighborhoods at night that could be breaking into homes or cars.

****KERWACK***THUMP***THUMP** "Honey, have you seen little Johnny?"

Be safe out there.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I drive with my headlights off all the damn time. I'm not trying to bait people into anything. I'm simply trying to catch people walking around in neighborhoods at night that could be breaking into homes or cars.

I have stopped people for driving without their headlights on or with one headlight out, just to let them know. People with one light out are usually unaware of the issue and people with no lights on are usually, elderly, drunk, or just bought the car and don't know how to turn them on.

I thought burnt out bulbs were a sure sign that you had drugs or bodies in your trunk. I've argued numerous times on here that I hate the idea that we can be pulled over for a minor infraction and be given 21 questions. where you going, where you come from, have you been drinking, can I look in your car, etc? Every single time I argue this point on here, I get the courts say it's legal, we have to be proactive, this gets bad guys off the streets, you're a whined, etc.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    They have every right to ask any question they please. You have every right to ignore any question they ask.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    To answer the OP question... IC 9-21-7-2. It's a class C infraction.

Now my question... who is there to force officers to obey the laws they enforce?

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Cannot find the statute off hand, but police are authorized some latitude with traffic regulations during the performance of their duties. Officers are still responsible for doing so in a safe manner. Marching bands have similar privileges.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    sounds like a good time to have your brakes lock up unexpectedly... trucks sometimes malfunction

No way! We don't want to hurt anyone.

Just maintain your speed, call your voice mail and when he passes repeat the plate number and blow kisses at him when he passes.

Have you seen any of these cases make it to court?

Sure. It happens, a small percentage of cases but they do exist and it is something that we need to know about and know how to handle.

Follow the Yoda Doctrine: provoke you, you must not let them . . . now focus on raising the Toyota Tacoma out of the swamp.

:starwars:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I thought burnt out bulbs were a sure sign that you had drugs or bodies in your trunk. I've argued numerous times on here that I hate the idea that we can be pulled over for a minor infraction and be given 21 questions. where you going, where you come from, have you been drinking, can I look in your car, etc? Every single time I argue this point on here, I get the courts say it's legal, we have to be proactive, this gets bad guys off the streets, you're a whined, etc.

I work straight midnights. Midnight till 8am. With few exceptions, there are only cops and crooks out during a good portion of my shift. I run every plate before I stop the car. If the plate comes back out of my town and near by, I usually follow them home, stop at the bottom of the driveway, make sure they make it inside ok and waive. About 20% of the people actually stop and talk to me.

On the other hand, if the plate comes out of somewhere a decent distance away, I just like to talk to the person. See where they are coming from and going to. If they are legit, they usually don't mind answering the questions. If I see them again, I just know that it's Tuesday at 3:30am and that Steve has to open the dock early because it's truck day.

I'll most likely even cut him a little slack because, getting out of bed a 2:45 am isn't fun for anyone and when I stopped him, he was a pretty decent guy. I take pride in knowing my beat, what goes on in my beat, and who comes through my beat.

Believe it or not, I even enjoy trying to get to know as many citizens I serve as I can.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    horn, you don't have to talk. Just smile at them (blow kisses). Most people run their bacon holes because they are nervous or "want to be seen as a good guy". You're already pulled over "Mr. Good Guy", don't give any more rope to hang yourself. It's not rude by any means, you are just protecting yourself so you can go home at the end of the night, 1*.

Remember, you don't have to play "21 Questions". License and registration, don't say a word.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    It's a police tactic called "traffic baiting". Similar to baiting when on foot.

Police will commit an infraction in order to have you commit an infraction in response so you can be pulled over. We see it a lot on the interstate. Officer rides your bumper to cause you to switch lanes or speed up so not to be hit or pull over in too close to the car in the other lane, you then get pulled over.

They drive up behind you so you will turn off your light and then flip them back off to signal them. The police then pull you over for failure to use your lights.

Not every officer does it, but you need to be aware of it. Just be cool, drive safely and blow kisses at him when he passes you giving you the #1 signal.:D
    That's when I read them the riot act.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Isn't it illegal to kick in somebodies door and shoot their dog....oh wait, it's illegal to kick in a door and shoot a person...no, wait, it's illegal to shoot somebody for walking down the street...no, dammit, wait it's illegal to...aww hell, never mind.

If I could rep this I would but I gotta spread it around. :+1:

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I work straight midnights. Midnight till 8am. With few exceptions, there are only cops and crooks out during a good portion of my shift. I run every plate before I stop the car. If the plate comes back out of my town and near by, I usually follow them home, stop at the bottom of the driveway, make sure they make it inside ok and waive. About 20% of the people actually stop and talk to me.

On the other hand, if the plate comes out of somewhere a decent distance away, I just like to talk to the person. See where they are coming from and going to. If they are legit, they usually don't mind answering the questions. If I see them again, I just know that it's Tuesday at 3:30am and that Steve has to open the dock early because it's truck day.

I'll most likely even cut him a little slack because, getting out of bed a 2:45 am isn't fun for anyone and when I stopped him, he was a pretty decent guy. I take pride in knowing my beat, what goes on in my beat, and who comes through my beat.

Believe it or not, I even enjoy trying to get to know as many citizens I serve as I can.
    Sorry but it is none of your busines why I am out, where I am going, where I came from. Write the ticket or let me go. PERIOD.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom