• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    There is no way I am about to read through all of this thread. What I have read sounds like a bunch of hen clucking. The bottom line is I understand why the OP's did what they did and can some what support it. But....IMO it is still plain silly to go walking around in a crowded public place with a long gun and then wine about the response it WILL generate. Legal? Sure. Smart? Nope!

As this type of stuff becomes more common place I think the exact opposite outcome will be the result. It disrupts people and LE functions, it generates calls as it should. Example- 911 call comes in for a man armed with a long gun in a public place. Not normal behavior by anyone's standards. LE will be called and they will respond. And for what? To prove a point? Goofy IMO.

What I think could very well happen if this becomes more common place is laws restricting OC or long guns in a place where it might cause panic and or generate calls. I think desecration and a little common sense might be in order on this stuff. Other wise you might see a change none of us want to see (Including me).:twocents:

I hope you meant "discretion". :D

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    wow....read the first 45 pages, this thread grows too fast. Funny that only three people commented after k40.

Joe Williams, have we met before?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    wow....read the first 45 pages, this thread grows too fast. Funny that only three people commented after k40.

Joe Williams, have we met before?

I don't know... maybe? I've met lots of folks on here. Why do you ask, maybe it'll jog my memory LOL.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    What I would love to see are some LEO on their day(s) off joining the OC walks... especially if we can gather up a hundred people or so. What kind of impact would it be if 100 hungry individuals showed up to the local greasy spoon and ordered food or 100 people visiting their local store and picking up an item... a hundred times over.

What I do not expect to see is an LEO joining the fray. If someone in uniform shows up, the 'off duty' could explain that what they were doing was legal and constitutionally protected. Additionally, if and when someone is detained, the LEO could O/C to the local department to make a complaint... because he is one of the king's men and is allowed to take a firearm there.

For the record, sometimes those of you who aren't posting in this thread AND are LEO, your silence can be interpreted as a response in favor of the responding officers who threw a fit. While it may not be fair but it is real and how it is.

This is just like who members of one particular religion are pegged as being something they aren't because they aren't speaking out against whatever action occurred in that religion's name. If the topic of religion makes you uncomfortable, replace it with political party. :twocents:

The part I highlighted in red is a powerful idea. Want to make OC popular? Target a business and have 100 OCers show up and spend some money. Routinely spend money like this and you'll have store owners shooing the cops away to keep them from bothering the paying customers.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Disregarding anything goofy the cops may have done, look at it from their point of view: you guys were OC across from the county government building, where everyone through the door is rigorously disarmed. It's also the seat of county government, which IMPD de facto guards (they outnumber the MCSD deputies in the building). If a cop or security officer saw you guys it was "instant adrenaline rush" OMG! Someone is going to attack the CCB! Also, don't forget we're at a rather high state of alert for terror incidents. Adrenaline rush + unusual event + constant terror threat surveillance = high state of excitement - rational thought = conditioned reflex (go out there and arrest them).

I'm not saying you all were wrong in doing what you did; just that you probably should have expected such a reaction.

yeah, whos REALY the terrorist??? The only kind I've seen or heard about around these parts all wear badges. any cop worth his weight in crispy kremes would have known just by following (discretely) for 5 minutes that this group of fine gentlemen and patriots meant no one any harm. but that would require self control and professionalism, something a lot of the local police seem to be lacking lately.

citizens killed by arab terrorist in indy : 0
    citizens killed by cops in Indy: 1 for sure that I know of (motorcycle). assasin cop: bissard

terrorist dont just walk around and order lunch with their weapons out.

The MP5 was pushing it alittle (by pushing it, i mean that youre almost certain to get harrassed), but still sweet as hell so how can you blame IM? lol plus it is 100% constitutionaly PROTECTED!!!! that means he had as much right (without being acosted) to carry his MP5, as everyone else has a right to breath and worship as they wish. seriously, there is no difference. BIG props to these guys for making themselves targets of the "man" and for being harrasssed trying to protect OUR rights.

The biggest thing that we can see here to know this wasnt about "officer safety" or protecting the public, was when they confronted these guys and they started providing ID and LTCH's instead of blasting away. after that point this just became another recorded instance of police harrassment of LEGAL Innocent citizens.

Last edited:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    yeah, whos REALY the terrorist??? The only kind I've seen or heard about around these parts all wear badges. any cop worth his weight in crispy kremes would have known just by following (discretely) for 5 minutes that this group of fine gentlemen and patriots meant no one any harm. but that would require self control and professionalism, something a lot of the local police seem to be lacking lately.

citizens killed by arab terrorist in indy : 0
    citizens killed by cops in Indy: 1 for sure that I know of (motorcycle). assasin cop: bissard

terrorist dont just walk around and order lunch with their weapons out.

The MP5 was pushing it alittle, but still sweet as hell so how can you blame IM? lol plus it is 100% constitutionaly PROTECTED!!!! that means he had as much right (without being acosted) to carry his MP5, as everyone else has a right to breath and worship as they wish. seriously, there is no difference. BIG props to these guys for making themselves targets of the "man" and for being harrasssed trying to protect OUR rights.

Agreed. Discretion was lacking, and the fault for wasted time lies squarely on the shoulders of the officers.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    There is no way I am about to read through all of this thread. What I have read sounds like a bunch of hen clucking. The bottom line is I understand why the OP's did what they did and can some what support it. But....IMO it is still plain silly to go walking around in a crowded public place with a long gun and then wine about the response it WILL generate. Legal? Sure. Smart? Nope!

As this type of stuff becomes more common place I think the exact opposite outcome will be the result. It disrupts people and LE functions, it generates calls as it should. Example- 911 call comes in for a man armed with a long gun in a public place. Not normal behavior by anyone's standards. LE will be called and they will respond. And for what? To prove a point? Goofy IMO.

What I think could very well happen if this becomes more common place is laws restricting OC or long guns in a place where it might cause panic and or generate calls. I think discretion and a little common sense might be in order on this stuff. Other wise you might see a change none of us want to see (Including me).:twocents:

You seem to be treating this as if the point was to bring officers to the scene. There was only one point. To show everyone that we legal law abiding gun owners carry our guns everyday and are just like everyone else. They had very good fliers to explain every thing quite well. It was about education.

Then mister billy badass comes along making a VERY unnecessary scene and throws everyone out of the market. Many had planned to spend money there and show support for a particular business. However, this cop on a power trip comes along and makes us look like the bad guy.

Now tell me. Who was the one making problems here?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    It irks me that *some* people think it's a-ok for the fuzz to detain and interrogate someone about why they might be choosing to exercise the rights we all have. All anybody needs to know is that it's our right.

Beyond that, and this applies to everybody, if you're not witnessing a crime mind your own business. Feel free to keep a watchful eye on the situation, but keep your opinions about whatever legal activity is going on to yourself.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    You seem to be treating this as if the point was to bring officers to the scene. There was only one point. To show everyone that we legal law abiding gun owners carry our guns everyday and are just like everyone else. They had very good fliers to explain every thing quite well. It was about education.

Then mister billy badass comes along making a VERY unnecessary scene and throws everyone out of the market. Many had planned to spend money there and show support for a particular business. However, this cop on a power trip comes along and makes us look like the bad guy.

Now tell me. Who was the one making problems here?

Clearly you. Common sense tells a person that you do not walk around a crowded place with a long gun. If so you will get a response. It is not about education. It is about using your head. Even if legal people will not tolerate that kind of stuff. That is like shoving it in their faces IMO. I think it is wrong to push one believes on someone else.

While I can respect what you were doing in some ways,what you actually did was generate a call or calls. And then you get in a tiff about the response you generated. You were all wrong and used poor judgment IMO,especially with a long gun. Once again, do this type of stuff much and I think it will have the exact opposite effect of what you are hoping for.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I see the all or nothing idea not a positive risk/reward situation personally.

Coming from a STRONG gambling background, I say it's better to take small wins until you have more power, with more room for error if you lose now and then instead of putting it all on the line for one GIANT all or nothing gamble.

"all or nothing" is often a position taken by people with nothing much to loose.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Clearly you. Common sense tells a person that you do not walk around a crowded place with a long gun. If so you will get a response. It is not about education. It is about using your head. Even if legal people will not tolerate that kind of stuff. That is like shoving it in their faces IMO. I think it is wrong to push one believes on someone else.

While I can respect what you were doing in some ways,what you actually did was generate a call or calls. And then you get in a tiff about the response you generated. You were all wrong and used poor judgment IMO,especially with a long gun. Once again, do this type of stuff much and I think it will have the exact opposite effect of what you are hoping for.

Clearly me, huh? Well, I wasn't there, but I was the one to organize both past events. No issues at either one. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

See, here's where you get it all wrong. We have no issues with officers coming to see what's up. We don't mind people calling on us, we know they will. HOWEVER, the issue lies in how the officer handled it. He didn't have to handcuff anyone and he had no damned right to disarm anyone. He should have his badge taken away from him for doing so. So should every other officer that would have done so in his position. Not only is it unsafe for the officer to handle and wave a gun around like a buffoon, but it was completely violating people's rights.

I think that's what you don't care about. I think you think it's ok to violate people's rights in the name of "officer safety". You want officer safety? Quit.

Bad judgment? The only person who used bad judgment was the officer putting people in cuffs and disarming law abiding citizens.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

I just can't agree with a single word you wrote. I just don't get it. We gun owners are supposed to be behind other folks carrying guns.

Just don't get it,,,

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Clearly me, huh? Well, I wasn't there, but I was the one to organize both past events. No issues at either one. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

See, here's where you get it all wrong. We have no issues with officers coming to see what's up. We don't mind people calling on us, we know they will. HOWEVER, the issue lies in how the officer handled it. He didn't have to handcuff anyone and he had no damned right to disarm anyone. He should have his badge taken away from him for doing so. So should every other officer that would have done so in his position. Not only is it unsafe for the officer to handle and wave a gun around like a buffoon, but it was completely violating people's rights.

I think that's what you don't care about. I think you think it's ok to violate people's rights in the name of "officer safety". You want officer safety? Quit.

Bad judgment? The only person who used bad judgment was the officer putting people in cuffs and disarming law abiding citizens.

Exactly! There were long guns at other Open Carry Events, apparently the difference isnt the long gun, its the Officer..

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Whose common sense?
    Exercising rights is "wrong"?
    And how were "all" wrong, when only one long gun was involved?

Yes, how DARE they shove their rights in someone's face. They should have just stayed in the back of the bus...I mean, left the guns in the car...

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Well then keep on doing this kind of foolishness and blaming someone else. I can almost guarantee you will see legislation that you nor I want to see. There is no talking to some people. Then when it is to late who gets blamed?

People get alarmed when they see people with guns. Just the way it is and you are not going to change it for the better. Many people just won't tolerate it. But do what you gotta do.:rolleyes:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom