• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    My goal is to affect positive change. To do that will take both elements of display AND diplomacy.

I just want to be a level headed member that reminds people that sure, we can be mad, and we can be angry, but don't fall into the trap of letting emotions lead to bad judgement.
    :)

I do not want anyone to feel like I am calling them out at all. I would just prefer honest discussion instead of heated angry name calling and lumping people together. As RESPONSIBLE gun owners, we don't want thrown in the same categories as criminals or crazy whack jobs that happen to have guns. So if we lead by example (by not throwing all LEO with BAD LEO) it SHOULD be more helpful.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    As much fun as this sounds, I think it would have a negative effect. Because INDY prizes their sporting events so highly, I see THIS idea as a one way ticket for Indy to turn into Chicago.

Not saying I don't think it would be great, but I think you might want to give it a little more thought before embracing it whole heartedly.

Can I ask how you think Indy is going to become any more like Chicago than it already is? IN has partial pre-emption on firearm laws. All they can do now is prohibit carry on city property ie parks, city owned buildings, etc. How many of those places in Indy can you legally carry now?

That and I think restrict new gun shops from opening up within 1000' of a school.

It would take a change in state law for them to do much more than that. And with the current legislature I doubt that would happen. At least until the results of today's election are in.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Actually, it sounds more like YOU have already made up your mind about US.
    WE are trying to discuss the issue, YOU are dismissing us as cop bashers...

Careful with the US/YOU statements. Frank_N_Stein is an "US". Roadie is an "US". We are all "US" here on INGO right now.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Actually, it sounds more like YOU have already made up your mind about US.
    WE are trying to discuss the issue, YOU are dismissing us as cop bashers...

Doesn't feel good, does it? Although anti-LE has been a very strong sentiment on INGO ever since I joined and let it be known that I was a cop, it has been my goal to not have an "us vs. them" attitude. Unfortunately I haven't received the same consideration in return. Not saying you personally have done it, but many members have.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Just a thought:

Just because you don't see an INGO LEO (I'll use Frank as an example) PUBLICLY taking a stand on this issue, does not mean he/she/they (not Frank, but any INGO LEO) is not doing something within their ranks.

I can't say because I don't know, but it IS possible that these individuals have other means that they find more effective at taking a stand on this issue.

Something to think about.

Very true, and I'm pretty sure I've heard our resident LEOs say as much.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Can I ask how you think Indy is going to become any more like Chicago than it already is? IN has partial pre-emption on firearm laws. All they can do now is prohibit carry on city property ie parks, city owned buildings, etc. How many of those places in Indy can you legally carry now?

That and I think restrict new gun shops from opening up within 1000' of a school.

It would take a change in state law for them to do much more than that. And with the current legislature I doubt that would happen. At least until the results of today's election are in.

I am not familiar with all of the Indianapolis laws, I do pay attention to where I can and can not carry. So there might be legal roadblocks that I don't know about that would prevent the INDY city council creating new "safe zone" ordinances.

However, I CAN see that if people started scaring off tourism during sporting events, a HUGE money maker for the city (especially with them hoping there is no NFL strike for the 2012 Super Bowl) I can see them taking steps to prevent people from being able to carry downtown at all.

This is just something to consider, in my opinion, before staging any big "shock and awe" type of carry movements.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I think we need to start doing walks during Colts games and let it be known that we are planning a huge OC walk the weekend of the Superbowl, I think that if the Mayor think that could happen that IMPD brass will stress leaving OCers alone.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A little point/counterpoint, eh? :laugh:

However, I CAN see that if people started scaring off tourism during sporting events, a HUGE money maker for the city (especially with them hoping there is no NFL strike for the 2012 Super Bowl) I can see them taking steps to prevent people from being able to carry downtown at all.

I think we need to start doing walks during Colts games and let it be known that we are planning a huge OC walk the weekend of the Superbowl, I think that if the Mayor think that could happen that IMPD brass will stress leaving OCers alone.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I got there just after the real action.

The police lied about the manager not allowing gun carry on the property, cuffed ATM, disarmed the others.

When I walked up they were asking "what group are you with," "how many more are coming," and "how did you communicate to organize this event."

Sounds like they were building a case? For what I'm not sure.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN

Could go either way. Goes back to my "how much are you willing to gamble" question.

You guys know I am down for whatever. I was at this event and I'll be at more!

I just want to encourage CAREFUL planning, not planning based on emotion.

On a POSITIVE note... Look how many people are interested in an OC walk NOW!!!!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Could go either way. Goes back to my "how much are you willing to gamble" question.

You guys know I am down for whatever. I was at this event and I'll be at more!

I just want to encourage CAREFUL planning, not planning based on emotion.

On a POSITIVE note... Look how many people are interested in an OC walk NOW!!!!

I'll be the one CCing! :laugh:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For the record, sometimes those of you who aren't posting in this thread AND are LEO, your silence can be interpreted as a response in favor of the responding officers who threw a fit. While it may not be fair but it is real and how it is.

That's what I said was wrong. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but the way it's read, it's bashing ALL INGO cops.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    True, but the difference is that I won't have a long gun, and I won't be winking at midgets :D

He didn't have a long gun when they asked if he had a handgun, just assume if you are standing around with a group of OCers that is being questioned you will be asked if you are armed.

cavemike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I read the first 30 pages of this thread this morning before work. I will not read the next 30 pages that have been posted since then.
    To all that were at the "incident" I am the guy who was wearing the INGO hat who suggested going to Dicks BBQ. I am glad you didn't get hassled there, or walking around the Colts rally.

When I was walking into the City Market to get lunch, I did notice I think IndyMoney's stainless 1911, I thought it was strange that a detective was wearing a 1911 and talking to street cops.

I didn't know an OC event was going on , if I did I would have grabbed my sidearm from my truck and joined the group.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    There is no way I am about to read through all of this thread. What I have read sounds like a bunch of hen clucking. The bottom line is I understand why the OP's did what they did and can some what support it. But....IMO it is still plain silly to go walking around in a crowded public place with a long gun and then wine about the response it WILL generate. Legal? Sure. Smart? Nope!

As this type of stuff becomes more common place I think the exact opposite outcome will be the result. It disrupts people and LE functions, it generates calls as it should. Example- 911 call comes in for a man armed with a long gun in a public place. Not normal behavior by anyone's standards. LE will be called and they will respond. And for what? To prove a point? Goofy IMO.

What I think could very well happen if this becomes more common place is laws restricting OC or long guns in a place where it might cause panic and or generate calls. I think discretion and a little common sense might be in order on this stuff. Other wise you might see a change none of us want to see (Including me).:twocents:

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom