• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    ehhh... that's a big maybe. It could also swing the other way and if we demand they eliminate the LTCH or something else, we could certainly gain that to get us out of their hair. :dunno: They can't ban us from carrying guns in the city without one helluva fight and they know it.

You have to think about this then:

How much are YOU willing to gamble?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I dunno... it kind of depends on monkeys video. I can just see the media skew it pretty hard on this one.

Don't get me wrong, if the story came across the way it happened, with some objective reporting, they YES!!! I'd LOVE to see coverage on this... but I just think it would be skewed and turned into an anti 2A story.

Just my :twocents: coming from my journalism classes in college.

:dunno:

I think a more organized event where the media is invited would play out better in the media. That's all.

From the advice of legal council I will not be posting any videos or participating in this thread anymore.

TN_Mike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    The backside of nowhere
    How do you know we don't? Most non-LEO INGOers assume that just because I am an LEO I will side with the LEOs 100% of the time. Just because I don't state my opinion or the side I take on INGO doesn't mean I don't support the INGO/non-LEO side of things in certain situations.

Then I would politely request that you go to officer.com and register and take up our side (if you do truly side with us on this matter) on their board. At least let them know that there are other LOE out there who do not consider someone exercising their Constitutional rights "social retards".

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm in it to win it. All or nothing here. And I don't usually settle for nothing.

I see the all or nothing idea not a positive risk/reward situation personally.

Coming from a STRONG gambling background, I say it's better to take small wins until you have more power, with more room for error if you lose now and then instead of putting it all on the line for one GIANT all or nothing gamble.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Frank,

The first part of what I posted was only in hypothetical situation where an LEO was part of a group that was OCing and then detained by LEO(s) on duty.

I'm pretty disappointed that you lumped me with cop-dislikers, as I'm not one. I do dislike anyone (cop or not) who decides their "safety" is more important than my rights. When I posted the above about silence given on topic and how the public perceives it, I did not say that it was my opinion of LEO but I did state that it is how it will be perceived... right or wrong.... that's just how it is.

If you want to be silent while rights are being trampled, by all means, be silent. It is your right. I'd rather have you by our side at another Open Carry walk in solidarity than someone who keeps silent at something. You do not owe me nor anyone your opinion but you've jumped the gun on calling me a cop-disliker. So how about it, Frank? Want to accompany us on the next OC walk? You could be the first LEO (to my knowledge) to join the walks.

I used religion/a political party as a comparative example. When "Muslims" blew up the WTC, and surrounding Muslims didn't apologize for the actions of those involved... some interpret that as guilty by association.

Catholic priests who were guilty of molestation had lots of clergy come out and speak against those who did the molestation. Does that mean they participated in it? No, it means they spoke out against it because an opportunity arose where they had a chance to speak out against it... if nothing else, it is good PR.

I am only accountable for my actions because I'm the only one responsible for them. Sometimes, I realize the benefits of apologizing for the actions of groups that represent me to show that I do not approve of their actions.

I met you at the 1500. I shook your hand, Frank. I've offered to pay for your meal and/or beers at INGO events, if you showed up. I don't shake hands with people who are't worth my time. I appreciate your insight but I can't do it if you don't share it either. If you interpret all of the above as cop bashing, I'll be sure and not shake your hand the next time I see you at an INGO or non-INGO function. :dunno:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Then I would politely request that you go to officer.com and register and take up our side (if you do truly side with us on this matter) on their board. At least let them know that there are other LOE out there who do not consider someone exercising their Constitutional rights "social retards".

No disrespect but I (as well as the mods) want to avoid a board war.

I would look at the fact that his thread only has 3 replies in nearly 18 hours as a sign that maybe even their OWN officers don't agree with the OP there. :dunno:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If I'm not the one being detained, why would I make a complaint? I can't complain for someone else. I can suggest to the higher-ups that the activity is legal and that most LEOs need an update on the laws, specifically those relating to OC.

There you go generalizing about all the LEOs on INGO. Just because I don't give my personal opinion about what went down doesn't mean I support it. I have opinions about both the OCers and the LEOs, but that doesn't mean I have to state them publicly. If I thought my opinion meant anything to you or any of the other cop-dislikers, I might share it. Because of the tone of your post I don't think I will.

So if someone expresses their opinion about this situation and LE, they are automatically "cop-dislikers"? :dunno:

This IS a rights issue, whether you see it as such or not. Just as staying silent on other rights issues can make someone seem complacent at the least, and complicit at the worst, so it does here as well.

A LEO is charged with upholding the Constitution, and the rights of citizens, yes? Citizens (ie gun owners) rights are being violated by certain LEOs while other LEOs stand by and say nothing. Surely you can see how silence could be seen as agreement in these types of situations.

I can understand how you would not want to get involved based on your previous concerns you stated about being "called into the chiefs office", but it would sure make me, as a gun owner, PROUD to see at least ONE of the LEOs on here make a stand for their fellow INGOers.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Just a thought:

Just because you don't see an INGO LEO (I'll use Frank as an example) PUBLICLY taking a stand on this issue, does not mean he/she/they (not Frank, but any INGO LEO) is not doing something within their ranks.

I can't say because I don't know, but it IS possible that these individuals have other means that they find more effective at taking a stand on this issue.

Something to think about.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I am already a member of the other board, so I don't need to register. I'm not taking sides one way or the other. All I will say is that both sides need improvement if there is going to be common ground reached.

Frank,

The first part of what I posted was only in hypothetical situation where an LEO was part of a group that was OCing and then detained by LEO(s) on duty.

I'm pretty disappointed that you lumped me with cop-dislikers, as I'm not one. I do dislike anyone (cop or not) who decides their "safety" is more important than my rights. When I posted the above about silence given on topic and how the public perceives it, I did not say that it was my opinion of LEO but I did state that it is how it will be perceived... right or wrong.... that's just how it is.

If you want to be silent while rights are being trampled, by all means, be silent. It is your right. I'd rather have you by our side at another Open Carry walk in solidarity than someone who keeps silent at something. You do not owe me nor anyone your opinion but you've jumped the gun on calling me a cop-disliker. So how about it, Frank? Want to accompany us on the next OC walk? You could be the first LEO (to my knowledge) to join the walks.

I used religion/a political party as a comparative example. When "Muslims" blew up the WTC, and surrounding Muslims didn't apologize for the actions of those involved... some interpret that as guilty by association.

Catholic priests who were guilty of molestation had lots of clergy come out and speak against those who did the molestation. Does that mean they participated in it? No, it means they spoke out against it because an opportunity arose where they had a chance to speak out against it... if nothing else, it is good PR.

I am only accountable for my actions because I'm the only one responsible for them. Sometimes, I realize the benefits of apologizing for the actions of groups that represent me to show that I do not approve of their actions.

I met you at the 1500. I shook your hand, Frank. I've offered to pay for your meal and/or beers at INGO events, if you showed up. I don't shake hands with people who are't worth my time. I appreciate your insight but I can't do it if you don't share it either. If you interpret all of the above as cop bashing, I'll be sure and not shake your hand the next time I see you at an INGO or non-INGO function. :dunno:

I'm going by the tone of your post. It is unfair to say that just because a member of INGO is an LEO and has chosen to remain silent on this issue that they are automatically in support of the police that detained the OCers. I have opinions on many topics talked about on INGO, I just choose not to state them.

So if someone expresses their opinion about this situation and LE, they are automatically "cop-dislikers"? :dunno:

This IS a rights issue, whether you see it as such or not. Just as staying silent on other rights issues can make someone seem complacent at the least, and complicit at the worst, so it does here as well.

A LEO is charged with upholding the Constitution, and the rights of citizens, yes? Citizens (ie gun owners) rights are being violated by certain LEOs while other LEOs stand by and say nothing. Surely you can see how silence could be seen as agreement in these types of situations.

I can understand how you would not want to get involved based on your previous concerns you stated about being "called into the chiefs office", but it would sure make me, as a gun owner, PROUD to see at least ONE of the LEOs on here make a stand for their fellow INGOers.

Just because I remain silent on the issue on an internet forum doesn't mean I'm silent about it in "real life." Complicit/complacent, you guys have already made up your minds.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I can only speak for myself, but I definitely don't take an INGO LEO's silence in this thread as an indication of support for anyone.

True, there are obviously several individuals who are reading the thread, but are remaining silent. Yes, I'd certainly like to see the support of INGO LEO's, but it is definitely not expected. I'd actually like to know that one of Officer Highsmith's fellow colleagues had a talk with him and explained where and why he was in the wrong...but I'm not holding my breath on that one. We'll go the route of filing a complaint and see how far that goes and if we can get something positive as a result.

I do know that this has only reinforced my stance on the 2am and OC...I'm going to go from advocate to activist. :yesway:

I'd actually like to setup a not-for-profit organization to further stress the importance of our rights and to promote the ownership of firearms. I know there are already organizations like that out there, but I think one more couldn't hurt. :patriot:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I agree, Cru. I refuse to let the anonymity of the internet turn me into a giant douche bag. My own perceptions versus what I see others doing are often different. I mentioned what I see people doing, not something that I necessarily do myself.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    No disrespect but I (as well as the mods) want to avoid a board war.

I would look at the fact that his thread only has 3 replies in nearly 18 hours as a sign that maybe even their OWN officers don't agree with the OP there. :dunno:

This.

Whether they agree with OC or like it or not, I suspect there are a fair number of folks who think their officers acted like putzes, and picked a fight with law abiding citizens that could and should have been avoided.

IMPD has enough issues right now without a couple of their officers creating more hostility among law abiding citizens with no good reason.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am already a member of the other board, so I don't need to register. I'm not taking sides one way or the other. All I will say is that both sides need improvement if there is going to be common ground reached.

I'm going by the tone of your post. It is unfair to say that just because a member of INGO is an LEO and has chosen to remain silent on this issue that they are automatically in support of the police that detained the OCers. I have opinions on many topics talked about on INGO, I just choose not to state them.

Just because I remain silent on the issue on an internet forum doesn't mean I'm silent about it in "real life." Complicit/complacent, you guys have already made up your minds.

Actually, it sounds more like YOU have already made up your mind about US.
    WE are trying to discuss the issue, YOU are dismissing us as cop bashers...

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Just a thought:

Just because you don't see an INGO LEO (I'll use Frank as an example) PUBLICLY taking a stand on this issue, does not mean he/she/they (not Frank, but any INGO LEO) is not doing something within their ranks.

I can't say because I don't know, but it IS possible that these individuals have other means that they find more effective at taking a stand on this issue.

Something to think about.

Yeah, but they supposedly protect us. If we get harassed in public, it would be nice to see them stand up for us in public.

Top Bottom