• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've never seen a cop yet that didn't act like he just sat on a tack the instant any dissent appears in his view. They can rant all they want but don't dare be vocal in your own disagreement.

It's like that a lot when people have a position of authority. It's not just the police. Just let any monkey get his hands on a big hammer and suddenly he's king.

+1 I wrote something similar but deleted it because I was getting too wordy. Reps to Jack for saying much what I'd written in far fewer words. My only qualifier is that I know several cops who are thoughtful and listen and consider.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    You could have told the LEO who handcuffed you that HE wanted a lawyer. When he asks why, response could have been "for my suit against you".

I wasnt going to do anything but stand there like a beotch and take it.

Wednesday might be different as I have time on my hand and might end up at the chiefs office.;)

I think this issue needs brought to the attention of higher ups...just want to do it the right way.
    Has anyone ever filed a valid complaint with the police and see positive results?
    My attempts prior to this went nowhere on a completely unrelated topic.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I think this issue needs brought to the attention of higher ups...just want to do it the right way.
    Has anyone ever filed a valid complaint with the police and see positive results?

I don't know about IMPD specifically. But I do know from other LE organizations that complaints against officers do have an effect. It may not be your specific complaint that gets any action, but they do get attention. The more of a pest you make of yourself, and the higher up you can get your complaint the more effect it has. The thing is, even the best and most respectful officer will garner complaints as that is the nature of the job. But if you can clearly articulate your complaint, back it up with witnesses, and take it as high as you can get, then you will have an effect.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I don't know about IMPD specifically. But I do know from other LE organizations that complaints against officers do have an effect. It may not be your specific complaint that gets any action, but they do get attention. The more of a pest you make of yourself, and the higher up you can get your complaint the more effect it has. The thing is, even the best and most respectful officer will garner complaints as that is the nature of the job. But if you can clearly articulate your complaint, back it up with witnesses, and take it as high as you can get, then you will have an effect.

:+1:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If any LEO's on that board have the nads to stand up for our rights, they'll put k40 in his place. :yesway:

I would really hope that some of the LEOs on our lil Forum here would stand up for our rights, sadly though, I think their brotherhood is tighter than ours...

(for the record, this isn't a bash. I realize that standing up to other LEOs would not be conducive to the work environment)

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy

Great! I have video proof, once IM can get it posted :yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This topic is full of disappointment for me.

First, I thought it might be about one of the many times I've accidentally handcuffed myself (did it twice in Grindstone Charley's in Speedway alone). I can't be trusted with handcuffs. Do not let me play with them.

Then I found out something completely unnecessary happened. The two police officers involved in this disappoint me. Although, the rest of the officers mentioned who didn't harass anyone for going about their lawful business make me happy, but I'm disappointed that none of them were available (or willing) to set the offenders straight.

I'm disappointed that I wasn't there.

I'm disappointed that things like this happen. The problem isn't the guns. The problem is that some people with way too much power don't like other people "flaunting" that they can have guns too. Each time something like this happens, it makes things worse and drives the "us vs. them" wedge deeper. It's unnecessary.

Very disappointed.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I will get the video from him on Saturday and get it up as soon as I have wifi. I'd imagine it will be up on Sunday afternoon.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    snip

(for the record, this isn't a bash. I realize that standing up to other LEOs would not be conducive to the work environment)

But it would certainly make an impact of some kind. To have one stand up to several and change their views on it, and possibly educate them, would reduce the repeat of this, because they would know.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010

I would disagree, just like any other work place when you mess up they get called on it by other officers. It may not be in front of the public but it happens none the less. ( I have been doing too many ride alongs):)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Great! I have video proof, once IM can get it posted :yesway:

It helps if you can articulate in your complaint that you are well aware of the ISC ruling regarding probable cause, and that this officer specifically violated it.

While the temptation is there to bring up the petty, stupid crap he said, it's better to leave it as "I was respectful towards the officer and the officer's statements to me showed a lack of professionalism and were unnecessarily condescending and disrespectful."

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east

No, But I hope you do follow up with this. He has no right to tell you how to carry your safely holstered pistol.

Being very brief because posting from psp

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I would really hope that some of the LEOs on our lil Forum here would stand up for our rights, sadly though, I think their brotherhood is tighter than ours...

How do you know we don't? Most non-LEO INGOers assume that just because I am an LEO I will side with the LEOs 100% of the time. Just because I don't state my opinion or the side I take on INGO doesn't mean I don't support the INGO/non-LEO side of things in certain situations.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    But it would certainly make an impact of some kind. To have one stand up to several and change their views on it, and possibly educate them, would reduce the repeat of this, because they would know.

I agree. I can only hope that one or more of our fellow INGOers who are also LE, will "have our back" so to speak.

(I know I wasn't there, but I feel like this happened to me too as part of this Community, hence the "our back")

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

You might be surprised. I'm sure many won't post here as they don't want to get entangled in the "bashing", and there are others posting and you may not realize they are law enforcement. :twocents:

Top Bottom