• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

Just doing what my knee surgeon and PT staff instruct me to do. I do go past parallel but no way will they let me put my but on the floor. They don't like my knee going forward past my toes either. Now I am talking about recovery from an ACL reconstruction so I might have restrictions a normal weight lifter doesn't have.

I didn't notice any Dr names in the list of references at the bottom of the article. Do you trust that info if it's not from a PhD?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Just doing what my knee surgeon and PT staff instruct me to do. I do go past parallel but no way will they let me put my but on the floor. They don't like my knee going forward past my toes either. Now I am talking about recovery from an ACL reconstruction so I might have restrictions a normal weight lifter doesn't have.

I didn't notice any Dr names in the list of references at the bottom of the article. Do you trust that info if it's not from a PhD?
    I am not a PhD. I listen to those much smarter in the field than I could ever be. Obviously, recovering from an ACL will limit what they want you to do though. I bet there are plenty of people out there that can't squat without knee pain because of genetic and mobility issues.

Read up on Dr Squat and Kelly Starrett on squats sometime, it is interesting stuff. There was a big debate going on a few years ago about the "knees in" vs "knees out" squat.

ETA: This article really gives you the history and biomechanics of the squat.
    https://squatuniversity.com/2016/01/22/debunking-squat-myths-are-deep-squats-bad-for-the-knees/

Last edited:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

Where your knees track during a squat isn't going to be the same for everyone, trying to limit your personal biomechanics to what amounts to a suggestion can actually cause more harm than good.

As far as who I'd trust more when it comes to proper lifting technique I'll listen to the guys that actually lift and coach other lifters as opposed to someone who is only book educated on the subject.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Endurance testing to kick off the running season last night. 3x 1 mile time trial, 5 minutes rest between. 5:50(PR), 6:03, & 6:19. Way too fast on the first one (think the first 500m was 1:40 :n00b:) and I paid for it on the last one. We'll use these times for establishing pacing throughout the summer.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    My husband (IfUDare01) and I joined a gym about 3 weeks ago. We've been doing pretty good at going at least 3 times a week together. Today was the first time I went without him. I just wanted to go do some cardio and listen to Pandora.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Tuesday: we ran the hill. Up and down for 45 min.

Wednesday: I did the mook and heavy bag. Stretched a bunch and did footwork drills. Maybe an hour.

Thursday: back to the circuit stuff: 3 exercises, 30 times each, ropes, squat and clean and Brocks. I am whipped and am going to bed after I drink all the entire case of water in my fridge.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Missed running due to the weather and feeling exhausted this week. Will run tonight. Resting heart rate is 50 the last three days and I just want to break the 50 barrier.

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    Cleans today starting at 70 kg, first one from the floor and next 4 from just above the knee. 5 chin ups between each set. Worked up to 100kg
    Snatches worked up to 75kg from the knee for 3 reps. Ring rows between sets.
    Strict pressed started at 40kg for 5 reps, worked up to 65 kg for 3 reps
    Front squat starting at 185lbs for 5 reps, ended up at 255lbs for a single.
    Back Squat started at 225lbs for 5, ended at 285lbs for a single.
    Weights felt light today and most of the last week.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    that's a lot of weight. You just made me feel weak and girlie :xmad:
    Me too. :(

Finally getting nice weather, which means the first sled push workout of the year this weekend. Ouch. Didn't even make it two rounds.

9min AMRAP
    50m sled push, 225lbs
    150m run
    10 goblet squats (53lbs)
    50m sled push
    5 squat cleans, 115lbs

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Do you dress for max sweat or to help stay cool? I see some people at the gym wearing sweats and a stocking cap. I dress to stay as cool as I can, I think that will make me more comfortable to work out harder or longer than if I was wearing heavier workout clothes. Why cause more body heat?

Top Bottom