• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I'm just looking to get back into a gym regime that actually works. Everything I read keeps saying free weights, free weights, free weights. I've used only machine in the past, and mostly do solo workouts, so I'm guessing I should stick with machine weights until I get comfortable enough, and into a decent shape before I start fully tackling free weights?
    I'd echo what Doc and Steve said. No reason to not jump into it, but make sure you're not going to hurt yourself and/or develop bad habits. There's a ton of good information online, as long as you can sort through the junk. This website has tons of info on olympic lifting and basic barbell movements (check out the exercise library) - Olympic Weightlifting: Catalyst Athletics These guys have a good podcast and technique videos on their YouTube channel (CrossFit focused but they have a lot of different stuff) - Barbell Shrugged -

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm just looking to get back into a gym regime that actually works. Everything I read keeps saying free weights, free weights, free weights. I've used only machine in the past, and mostly do solo workouts, so I'm guessing I should stick with machine weights until I get comfortable enough, and into a decent shape before I start fully tackling free weights?
    "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe will answer the questions you have. One of my favorites. http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stre...=1458908329&sr=1-1&keywords=starting+strength

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Back at it.

Dad just had 2 more stents put in... Not the future I want. Baby steps... Started parking in the furthest space from the door (quite a hike really) and have banned elevators.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    It's amazing what back squats, front squats, and deadlifts will do for you. I started with puny legs. While my waist size has not changed (36"), I cannot wear straight leg pants any more, only loose fit. Skinny jeans just means you don't lift :)
    I did goblet squats, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, and calf raises.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    The Open is finally done, thank goodness. Last workout completed today and I'm happy with this one. Workout was 21-18-15-12-9-6-3 of 95# thrusters and bar-facing burpees. Thrusters are not a good movement for me, but felt really good today for some reason. Done in 16:23, better than I could've hoped for. That one hurt. I'll be happy to get back to my normal schedule, and now I've got some new things to work on.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Rode the hill today. 45 minutes.

Felt good after an Easter Brunch (at Heirloom today after I got kicked out of 501 Bistro [no reservation], recommended btw), and 4 hours of sitting on my dog blossom paying end of the month bills at the office.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Went to the high school basketball championships in Indy yesterday. Lots of walking and climbing stairs. Climbed all the way to the top of the stadium as fast as I could. We parked one level above the walkway in the attached garage, and I refused to take the elevator so took one flight of stairs down. Between sessions I had to get something from the vehicle, so I walked across the walkway, ran up a flight of stairs, got my stuff, then ran down 4 flights. Then we walked around downtown a bit. Then on the way back in I went back up 4 flights and down another.

I was expecting my knees to be pretty stiff/tight/sore today, but they were only slightly sore. Woo! :)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I did the 16.5 scaled workout today. It took me 37 minutes and 37 seconds. I about died.

21, 18, 15, 12, nine, six, three
    65 pound squat thrusters
    Burpees over bar

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Attained one of my personally set ACL recovery goals today of maxing out the leg squat machine at Methodist Sports Medicine. 4 sets of squats starting ~180 & ramping up to 220 lbs single leg.

:rockwoot:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    5 by 6 tonight.

Five exercises, 6 times around: heavy bag, medicine bag lift and drop, heavy rope, tire smash, kick bag for 1 minute each, 30 seconds of burpees in between each exercise.

That sounds pretty tough but I don't know what all of it is. What do you do with the heavy bag and tire smash?

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    It really doesn't take much to tear them up.
    ^^^ This. Especially when you start increasing the volume of training.

Big weakness exposed Wednesday.... I suck something awful at push-ups. I've always struggled with them during my workouts but I get away with it in small sets. Had to do 100 straight through and I just blew up. That sucked. Time to work on pressing strength.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That sounds pretty tough but I don't know what all of it is. What do you do with the heavy bag and tire smash?

I guess he punches the bag and hit the tire with a sledgehammer. :dunno:

That's a new thing apparently.

sledgehammer-swings.jpeg

Top Bottom