• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Question on resting heart rate: how much of a factor is that in heart health? Mine has been slowly dropping and I understand it's a good thing, I just don't know how much of a good thing.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Theoretically your body needs the same amount of blood at rest every year. If your heart can provide that blood at 50bpm it's pumping better and stronger than if it was doing it at 70bpm.

cardiac output = heart rate * stroke volume (blood pumped per beat)

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    How fast is the rate of drop?:D

Over several weeks/months, not all at once. It has maybe dropped 8-10 points on average, according to my wrist tracker. I question the accuracy of the tracker but even if it's consistently wrong then it's still showing a downward trend. Now if it starts toward zero, then...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Bought one of those Fitbits to measure mine. 50's it great. Athletes have lower. Mine used to be around 45 when I was younger but at the age of 62, I am not complaining about 55 bpm resting. Now working on my blood pressure and measuring it every day in the morning. Don't want to go on medication but losing weight and exercising is supposed to help. Lost 18 lbs from my high when I started and have 32 to go. Started running again at least 3 times a week and keep the HR between 125 and 145 for heart training. Ran 2.25 mi the other day and it stayed below 145 but it was cool out.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Terrible endurance workout last night. Dang that hurt.

1000m row
    Rest 5 min
    8 rounds, 20 seconds max effort row, 10 seconds rest
    Rest 5 min
    1000m row

Trying to hit the same 1k time the second time around, I think I dropped 20 seconds off or so.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We are going to pick up a concept 2 rower. I hate the thing with a special kind of hate.

my wife and I did a drop-in Crossfit workout here in FL. Not sure beer and fish n chips was the best pre-workout snack

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I'd have one right now if I wasn't saving for a vacation in a couple months. I'll probably pick one up next winter. I consider myself a decent rower, but that thing humbles me every time I get on it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We are going to pick up a concept 2 rower. I hate the thing with a special kind of hate.

my wife and I did a drop-in Crossfit workout here in FL. Not sure beer and fish n chips was the best pre-workout snack
    Rowers are bad, our workout yesterday was 800m run, 1000m row, 800m run for time. UGH!!!! Currently, we are waiting for a couple of Air Assault Bikes to come in. Those are supposed to be the worst.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Currently, we are waiting for a couple of Air Assault Bikes to come in. Those are supposed to be the worst.
    Airdynes are awful. We do 3 minutes for max calories every testing cycle, and it crushes my soul. I usually just fall off the bike when I'm done. We only have two at our gym, so they don't get used much day-to-day, thank goodness. I'll row or run any day over that dang thing.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Airdynes are awful. We do 3 minutes for max calories every testing cycle, and it crushes my soul. I usually just fall off the bike when I'm done. We only have two at our gym, so they don't get used much day-to-day, thank goodness. I'll row or run any day over that dang thing.
    I CAN'T WAIT!!!! Hahaha.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Rowers will get you ripped up in a hurry. Those machines are brutal. There's a reason they say skulling is the most physically demanding sport there is. Lots of dudes puking their guts out after competition.

Rowers are bad, our workout yesterday was 800m run, 1000m row, 800m run for time. UGH!!!! Currently, we are waiting for a couple of Air Assault Bikes to come in. Those are supposed to be the worst.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Keep an eye out for used work out equipment. All of my stuff, I got from gyms that were going out of business. Work out equipment is stupid expensive new. Used, it's worth next to nothing.

I got my pull up/dip bar for $50. I got my leg curl/quad extension/calf raise machine for $100. All pro grade, and would have cost $1500+ new. (Note, those were the machines I need for what I do. Most people have no need for a leg extension/curl machine.)

I'd have one right now if I wasn't saving for a vacation in a couple months. I'll probably pick one up next winter. I consider myself a decent rower, but that thing humbles me every time I get on it.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Keep an eye out for used work out equipment. All of my stuff, I got from gyms that were going out of business. Work out equipment is stupid expensive new. Used, it's worth next to nothing.

I got my pull up/dip bar for $50. I got my leg curl/quad extension/calf raise machine for $100. All pro grade, and would have cost $1500+ new. (Note, those were the machines I need for what I do. Most people have no need for a leg extension/curl machine.)
    I'll definitely be keeping an eye out when it comes that time. I had the opportunity to buy a slightly used one from a friend and couldn't make it work. When they are maintained, those rowers last forever.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ok, I'm back on the wagon. Weight is back up and blood sugar is too high. I ordered an elliptical, and I am back to restricting carbs.

Top Bottom