• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    8 by 9 tonight. 8 exercises, 9 times around (32 second rounds)

1. Ball Burpee
    2. Step up with ball
    3. switch jumps with ball
    4. Step up with ball
    5. crawl out
    6. step up with ball
    7. body toss on ball
    8. step up with ball

9 times around. My ball was 20#er.

Did not cover self in glory, but did not quit. I am sleeping very well since my recovery.:D

I do not recommend voice box infections for anyone . . . even rhino.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My Tuesday workout. 7min As Many Rounds As Possible (AMRAP) of 7 pushups, 7 pullups, 7 toes to bar. Then move on to bench press. 3 reps of 250lbs every minute for 10 minutes. That was in the morning. I returned at 2 for an hour of boxing then 1 1/2 hrs of ground fighting. It's my day off so I have the time. Good day, good day.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I've been slacking.
    Me too. Ever since our bundle of joy arrived, life has been full of visitors, tasks, appointments, etc. Hopefully, after the dust settles, I can get back to working out. But on a side note, when you're that busy, you forget to eat, and we both have lost weight. Also, our portion size has shrunk due to a shrinking stomach. I've set a goal of Sunday that we get back in the swing of things! Damnit!:whip:

Texican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2016
    Portage
    I'm done slacking. I've recently decided to start eating right, watching carbs (but not totally deleting them), and going to the gym. Will post up as I get the chance.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I didn't skip leg day today! That makes six weeks straight that I haven't skipped it!!! For some reason weight training my legs is the least enjoyable of my work outs.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I didn't skip leg day today! That makes six weeks straight that I haven't skipped it!!! For some reason weight training my legs is the least enjoyable of my work outs.
    It's amazing what back squats, front squats, and deadlifts will do for you. I started with puny legs. While my waist size has not changed (36"), I cannot wear straight leg pants any more, only loose fit. Skinny jeans just means you don't lift :)

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    It's amazing what back squats, front squats, and deadlifts will do for you. I started with puny legs. While my waist size has not changed (36"), I cannot wear straight leg pants any more, only loose fit. Skinny jeans just means you don't lift :)

Amen. Squats and deadlifts are the two most important lifts for any average person, IMO.

Texican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2016
    Portage
    So, newbie here, what's the secret to actually getting into free weights, when you've been using machines on and off your entire life?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I just tried some old skinny jeans and I can barely fit in them anymore.
    I probably need new jeans.Damn squats!

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    So, newbie here, what's the secret to actually getting into free weights, when you've been using machines on and off your entire life?

Just make sure you have good form. Don't be that guy at the gym deadlifting more than he should with his knees straight and lower back rounded like he is trying to touch his toes.

If you have good coordination, the olympic lifts are an all around better lift. But getting the form down can be tricky. I wouldn't get into olympic lifts without trainer supervision, IMO.

There are plenty of other good lifts too, like kettlebell swings, farmers walk, barbell rows, etc.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    This is what they put me through at last weeks ACL PT workout:
    Stairmaster 10 min warm-up (~30 flights)
    3 sets x 15 squats
    3 sets x 25 single leg 6" step down tap heal back up
    An odd exercise with a resistance band around my ankles, step sideway, 5 pulse squats, step sideways x 15 of these.
    Same band around the ankles, hop up onto a step, hop down. 3 sets of 15.
    Single leg balance on a foam pad while throwing a medicine ball off a trampoline and catch. 3 sets of 25 at -45, 0, +45 degrees
    Same medicine ball single leg sit and stand 3 x 15
    Single leg press on a machine. 3 sets working my way up to ~75 kg.
    Single leg curls. 3 sets x 12 ~45 lbs
    Single leg extension. 3 sets x 8 ~85 lbs
    Stand on a wobbly platform, holding a medicine ball, 3 x 15 squats.

That's about what I remember. They change it up a little bit every week. I really love the workouts and will miss them when insurance stops. 4 months post op and I'm back to ~85% full strength measured by a computer controlled torque measuring machine.

Pro athletes probably do close to this every other day and are back on the field the following season.

Texican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2016
    Portage
    What are you looking to accomplish? Looking at anything specific, like olympic lifting, powerlifting, CrossFit, etc.?

I'm just looking to get back into a gym regime that actually works. Everything I read keeps saying free weights, free weights, free weights. I've used only machine in the past, and mostly do solo workouts, so I'm guessing I should stick with machine weights until I get comfortable enough, and into a decent shape before I start fully tackling free weights?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Free weights are fine to jump into, but as said upthread go light until your form is good. Having a trainer is a great way to learn the form initially. They are big on technique at CrossFit. Avoid injuries.

Top Bottom