• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I tried doing a half marathon yesterday. Ran for 1:40 and 9.35 miles and then just ran out of juice. Got light headed and felt like I was going to throw up. Walked the rest of the way. So, technically I need one of those annoying little stickers for my Jeep but I can't really say I "ran" a half. Gotta say I completed one. But, I'm not unhappy with the results. I'd never run that far all at once and I'm pretty sure skipping breakfast had a lot to do with it. I "carb loaded" the night before and wasn't hungry in the morning. Hadn't planned on running that distance and just kind of started jogging and said, "I think I'll go for 13.1." Not that I want to do it again, but if I do, I'll be better prepared for next time.

I've been running less than six months. When I first started I couldn't do a mile without feeling like I wanted to die. It only took a few weeks to build up to two or three and by the third month, running three miles got easy. Now, I'm doing 5-6 an hour and it's no problem. I'm not sure if I want to push the distance or not (maybe a few here and there for a challenge) but definitely 2-3 times a week for 30+ minutes.

Eating is what gets me. I love the wings and pizza, beer, and sweets. Being honest with myself I'm still going to eat that stuff I just don't want to eat it as much anymore because every time I do my body tells me to stop eating that crap and eat better. So, the running has really helped me change my diet as well.

I'm a firm believer in doing what they taught us in kindergarten. "Play outside and eat good." The NFL Play60 campaign also got me motivated. Just an hour a day and eat sensibly. That's all it takes!

On the peanut butter stuff, I realize it's "weird" in Europe. I'm married to a Russian and she was disgusted by peanut butter when we first lived together. After a while she kind of got a taste for it but still thinks it's kind of nasty. You'll have to make due with Nutella. Close enough!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I realize it's different than diabetics, but the issue is the same. Starving your body of its preferred energy source to rid itself of something it has too much of. Whether your body can't use glucose because of lack of insulin or nutritional starvation, it's still hard on the metabolism. It's not a lifestyle, it's a means to obtain a goal. You'll still need to figure out a long-term diet strategy.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I realize it's different than diabetics, but the issue is the same. Starving your body of its preferred energy source to rid itself of something it has too much of. Whether your body can't use glucose because of lack of insulin or nutritional starvation, it's still hard on the metabolism. It's not a lifestyle, it's a means to obtain a goal. You'll still need to figure out a long-term diet strategy.

Ok you may be a doctor, but it takes a LOT for the body to go into starvation mode. A LOT.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Today i deadlifted my body weight six times. It was a PR for weight and I did it six times. Sweet.

Also getting much better at gym swing/kips and did five pull ups.
    Nice!

Did the first Crossfit Open workout on Saturday coming off a stomach bug, dehydrated, and no food in 24 hours. Boy that sucked. I managed a little over 5 rounds.
    20 minutes, as many rounds as possible of:
    25' overhead walking lunges w/ 95 lbs.
    8 burpees
    8 chest-to-bar pull-ups

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I just looked up the crossfit gym in Brownsburg. Wow, $100 a month?
    Crossfit gyms are not cheap unfortunately. Coaches lead and instruct each class and most class sizes are small, so you tend to get personalized help when you need/want it. Our classes hover anywhere from 2-3 to 15. It's very different from a conventional gym.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Nice!

Did the first Crossfit Open workout on Saturday coming off a stomach bug, dehydrated, and no food in 24 hours. Boy that sucked. I managed a little over 5 rounds.
    20 minutes, as many rounds as possible of:
    8 burpees
    8 chest-to-bar pull-ups

Nicely done! I did it with the 45lb bar in front squat position. I cannot do overhead anything for a long time, let alone 20 minutes. it made the burpees easier too without the weights on the bar to jump over. I also did jumping pull ups because I can only do five or so normal ones. I did it Monday, 5 sets and then finished the burpees after squats. Ugh. Thighs killed Tuesday.

I just looked up the crossfit gym in Brownsburg. Wow, $100 a month?

Not bad, ours is $130/mo, but the second person in the family is only $80. It's def more than a standard gym but you're getting direct instruction from a trainer with every workout. I have never had results like this with anything I've done before. I've also gone to gyms on my own and did half-effort workouts and just never really knew what regimens to do. CrossFit is a whole body workout, very motivational since others are doing the workout with others, and supervised with trainers the whole time.

If you go to LA fitness and have two 30-minute training sessions a month with a trainer it's probably the same cost.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Went to Planet Fitness today (and the gym) for the first time in months, was only able to do 45 minutes because of the time not at the gym.

If you aren't a body builder or doing cardio, rarely would I say workout more than an hour. 45 minutes is normally enough.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Nicely done! I did it with the 45lb bar in front squat position. I cannot do overhead anything for a long time, let alone 20 minutes. it made the burpees easier too without the weights on the bar to jump over. I also did jumping pull ups because I can only do five or so normal ones. I did it Monday, 5 sets and then finished the burpees after squats. Ugh. Thighs killed Tuesday.

Not bad, ours is $130/mo, but the second person in the family is only $80. It's def more than a standard gym but you're getting direct instruction from a trainer with every workout. I have never had results like this with anything I've done before. I've also gone to gyms on my own and did half-effort workouts and just never really knew what regimens to do. CrossFit is a whole body workout, very motivational since others are doing the workout with others, and supervised with trainers the whole time.

If you go to LA fitness and have two 30-minute training sessions a month with a trainer it's probably the same cost.

Crossfit is no joke. Expensive, but well worth the money

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, back on the wagon. 1500 calories a day adjusted by output. Quit drinking. Bought a Fitbit Charge HR for everyday use, mostly to identify my resting heart rate and count steps on the walking desk treadmill (Best Buy price matched Amazon so I saved $22). Use a Garmin 310XT for running and biking. Both interface with MyFitnessPal. Down 8 lbs. Have to take a bio test for work along with logging stuff to get a price break on health insurance.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Thank you sir, right back at ya! Yeah, my quads were dead Saturday afternoon, and my upper back & shoulders locked up about 30 minutes after I finished. That was a fun one. :faint:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    One more week and then I can start running again.... this stress fracture has really sucked. Hopefully when I start up again, it has healed. Very short runs are in my book for the foreseeable future, until I am confident that it has healed and I am not pushing myself too hard too quickly

Top Bottom