• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Invest in 2 25lbs dumbbells. That's where you start (lighter if that's too much, heavier if not). Start your workouts at 3 sets of each exercise. Since you're new, don't bother with splits, go full body.
    Over head press 3 x 10
    Squat 3 x 10
    Curl 3 x 10 (both arms, total 20 reps)
    Lunges 4 x 10
    Press 3 x 10
    If you still have strength, 3 x pushups to failure
    Rest 30 seconds between sets, 2 minutes between exercises

Follow program until you can do 25 reps, in each set of each exercise..... then buy the next weight up

Program is a M, W, F... T, TR do your cardio. Sat and Sun rest, and count calories ( no need on other days, because what eat is what you probably need to grow stronger.... well assuming you're not eating 3500+ calories)

Thanks! That's a lot of my problem, is just knowing where to start with strength training. I've been working with pull ups/push ups but seem to have hit a plateu after making big process quickly.So many conflicting articles online, and I don't know anyone who works out to give first hand help/knowledge. I appreciate it!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Thanks! That's a lot of my problem, is just knowing where to start with strength training. I've been working with pull ups/push ups but seem to have hit a plateu after making big process quickly.So many conflicting articles online, and I don't know anyone who works out to give first hand help/knowledge. I appreciate it!
    If you get in a few days of cardio, push ups and pull ups is all you need, depending on your goals, and even if your goals are to get massive, push ups and pull ups are still part of the plan.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    To lift weights on the cheap buy a few jugs of water. A gallon is 8lbs and you can easily find 2.5 and 5 gallon sizes with handles. Those are usually a couple bucks each. And you have your water preps taken care of too!

For you guys looking for healthy high-calorie food, peanut butter is hard to beat. They make it with honey in it now so it's super tasty. 2 tablespoons is 210 calories (16g fat, no cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 10g carbs, 7g protein) and dipping your granola bar in it means you can get 500 slow-release calories in about two minutes. Walmart has a 28oz jar for like $3.64.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Nice little Crossfit Endurance workout last night. :faint:
    3 rounds for time
    750 meter row
    10m weighted lunge (2 35# kettlebells)
    6 kettlebell push presses
    10m weighted lunge (2 35# kettlebells)
    6 kettlebell push presses

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    ^ That does not sound fun

our WOD today was:
    5 rounds
    10 med ball squat clean wall balls 20#
    5 burpee pull ups

took me 9:50 and I was wiped. We then did two rounds of two minute Tabata jumping lunges, wall ball twists, four position planks and whatever you call it when you smash the heavy ball from overhead down to the ground. Ugh.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Another ~90 min Tuesday PT session in the books. Balance training with medicine balls, squats, leg extensions, leg curls... I'm going to miss these "rehab" workouts.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    To lift weights on the cheap buy a few jugs of water. A gallon is 8lbs and you can easily find 2.5 and 5 gallon sizes with handles. Those are usually a couple bucks each. And you have your water preps taken care of too!

For you guys looking for healthy high-calorie food, peanut butter is hard to beat. They make it with honey in it now so it's super tasty. 2 tablespoons is 210 calories (16g fat, no cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 10g carbs, 7g protein) and dipping your granola bar in it means you can get 500 slow-release calories in about two minutes. Walmart has a 28oz jar for like $3.64.

I want to try peanut butter but it's hard to find and expensive over here, not really a popular product.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

No prob. I like pull ups and push ups, and actually IMO you can get pretty ripped from doing those as strength training exercises. The problem, at least with push ups, is that you have to do so Damn many. Pull ups on the other hand, are the holy grail. If you can knock out 25 in one session, you are either really skinny, or really fit. I think I'm in good shape, and I can do a max of 12.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Just signed up for a GORUCK Tough event down in Indy in September, on 9/11 anniversary weekend. Looks like it'll be an interesting night. From what I've seen, it'll be a mental as well as physical struggle.

GORUCK Tough

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Shoveling to the garage later to fire up the snowthrower counts as cardio...right? :dunno:(The gym closed at noon due to this blizzard).

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    No peanut butter?!? :faint:

That means you've never had a PB&J sammich!! :faint::faint:

I tried peanut butter when I was in the States.It was a while back, not sure if I liked it.
    That's exotic food over here so it's harder to get and more expensive.

Not sure if I had a PB&J sandwich though. :dunno:

Top Bottom