• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just to make you guys feel inadequent (like me)... a 53 year old buddy just ran the mini marathon with an average 7.37 mile pace including one puke break!

wow, nice job!

Well I beat my time. 2k row @ 8:28.

I'm getting there Doc!

boom! Nicely done. The problem with the rower is you can't lay on the ground right away. You have to unstrap first :):

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Today was a relatively short workout, so I did some extra work afterwards. I planned to do 100 pull-ups after work out that included 36 pull-ups.

Unfortunately after 72 additional ones, my hands ripped. Ouch. I was doing four a minute which was a doable pace

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Today was a relatively short workout, so I did some extra work afterwards. I planned to do 100 pull-ups after work out that included 36 pull-ups.

Unfortunately after 72 additional ones, my hands ripped. Ouch. I was doing four a minute which was a doable pace

You might want to show that to a doc! :faint: ;)

I wear fingerless gloves when I do a lot of pullups in a row.
    It protects that part of your hand and gives you additional grip.
    You might want to do that too. :)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have some but you'll notice by tiny girl fingers. When I have them on it makes it hard to grip the bar :(

if I did strict pull ups instead of kipping I'd be fine.

fortunately the rest of me looks awesome

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Ah ripped hands suck. Just ripped my palm open Saturday, first time in a long time. Luckily it has a couple weeks to close up before Murph.

18 mile bike ride on the trails in Fort Wayne with two friends last night, man that was sooo much fun. I want a road bike now. :(

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm using some Bear Komplex 2-hole hand guards occasionally. I am trying to break them in and will most likely use them for Murph or at least part of it if I see my hands starting to "fail".

I have been trying to toughen up my hands, but Murph will be more pull-ups than I have done in one workout and I want to be sure to make it through. Or at least not having ripped hands prevent me from finishing.:)

There are other "scares" in attempting Murph. Like push-ups for instance...:runaway:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I am planning to do 25 sets of 4-8-12 for Murph. Hoping to do at 75s intervals. That would give me a shot at a 50 minute time which would be incredible for me.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I'm using some Bear Komplex 2-hole hand guards occasionally. I am trying to break them in and will most likely use them for Murph or at least part of it if I see my hands starting to "fail".

I have been trying to toughen up my hands, but Murph will be more pull-ups than I have done in one workout and I want to be sure to make it through. Or at least not having ripped hands prevent me from finishing.:)

There are other "scares" in attempting Murph. Like push-ups for instance...:runaway:
    I have two sets of gymnastics grips and like them. I haven't ripped in a long time, but doing 48 chest-to-bar pull-ups Saturday was apparently too much :laugh:

And yeah, the Murph push-ups get real rough! I'll be doing 5-10-15 for 20 rounds and breaking up the push-ups early! Just hoping to survive this first year with the vest...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have two sets of gymnastics grips and like them. I haven't ripped in a long time, but doing 48 chest-to-bar pull-ups Saturday was apparently too much :laugh:

And yeah, the Murph push-ups get real rough! I'll be doing 5-10-15 for 20 rounds and breaking up the push-ups early! Just hoping to survive this first year with the vest...

I'm not sure if I should even attempt to run with the "big dogs" and do the full version. We have a mini-Murph which is half. Even that will be tough for me. We are doing a workout Friday with many rounds of Cindy. I am hoping that will help me decide. If I only get 8 rounds or so in the time limit, I'll stick with the mini. If I get over 15 I'll consider the full Murph.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I'm not sure if I should even attempt to run with the "big dogs" and do the full version. We have a mini-Murph which is half. Even that will be tough for me. We are doing a workout Friday with many rounds of Cindy. I am hoping that will help me decide. If I only get 8 rounds or so in the time limit, I'll stick with the mini. If I get over 15 I'll consider the full Murph.
    That should be a good gauge for you. A half Murph is not much easier, just less time in the pain cave!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Last year I did the whole thing in 69 mins. It's Ok to do slow. And my pull ups were one jumping and four ring rows per round

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    Rowing machine today. Did 6k at a 5 minute pace and then finished with 2k @ 8 minutes.

does anyone else have leg numbness when using a rower? I just got a new seat pad that has seemed to help so far.

Top Bottom