• ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Pushups Question:
    Only thing I've regressed on since starting Crossfit end of Feb., are pushups. I could 20 hand release then. Coach @ a box I dropped into in Lexington, KY did modify my pushups (basically trying to keep forearms from not moving during the push up). Since then, I can only do 6 or so, although my bench press has improved to 215 x2.

How frequent should I work on pushups, when they are not part of the WOD (including warm up, strength etc.)? Every day, every other, etc... Note: My shoulders are pretty much sore every day.....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Pushups Question:
    Only thing I've regressed on since starting Crossfit end of Feb., are pushups. I could 20 hand release then. Coach @ a box I dropped into in Lexington, KY did modify my pushups (basically trying to keep forearms from not moving during the push up). Since then, I can only do 6 or so, although my bench press has improved to 215 x2.

How frequent should I work on pushups, when they are not part of the WOD (including warm up, strength etc.)? Every day, every other, etc... Note: My shoulders are pretty much sore every day.....

Just my opinion but I think only you can answer that with the help of a good coach. I am older than most in my gym and I have to accept I won't be running with them. I may be able to hang for a workout but I'm not doing multiple workouts in a day(which is why I don't compete in CrossFit) because I need more recovery time.

We seem to do quite a few push-ups at our gym so I don't supplement extra. I have found in my year of CF that we do a LOT of movements that involve the shoulders!:)

If I am going to supplement anything it would be squats, deadlifts and a few other strength moves. Oh and since my 2017 goal is unassisted pull-ups, I do those every time I'm in the gym. Just one set of as many as I can do.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Two questions...

1. My main goal is to get rid of the gut, should I be doing abs every day?
    2. My secondary goal is to tone muscle and add strength. Right now, I'm doing decreasing reps while adding weight (12 reps at 90, 10 at 110, 8 at 130, 6 at 150, 4 at 170, 2 at 190), is this a good idea?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Two questions...

2. My secondary goal is to tone muscle and add strength. Right now, I'm doing decreasing reps while adding weight (12 reps at 90, 10 at 110, 8 at 130, 6 at 150, 4 at 170, 2 at 190), is this a good idea?

Believe it our not, doing abs won't contribute much to getting rid of the gut. Getting rid of the gut starts in the kitchen and is supplemented by running and some other high intensity stuff. Diet will take a lot off and running will get the last stubborn bit off and strengthen your obliques to boot!

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    Just my opinion but I think only you can answer that with the help of a good coach. I am older than most in my gym and I have to accept I won't be running with them. I may be able to hang for a workout but I'm not doing multiple workouts in a day(which is why I don't compete in CrossFit) because I need more recovery time.

We seem to do quite a few push-ups at our gym so I don't supplement extra. I have found in my year of CF that we do a LOT of movements that involve the shoulders!:)

If I am going to supplement anything it would be squats, deadlifts and a few other strength moves. Oh and since my 2017 goal is unassisted pull-ups, I do those every time I'm in the gym. Just one set of as many as I can do.

I do a bunch of pushups throughout the day while at work. I would work in some other moves but don't want to start sweating or bring weights into the office so I stick with pushups. gets me out of my chair and active 20 times/day.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Believe it our not, doing abs won't contribute much to getting rid of the gut. Getting rid of the gut starts in the kitchen and is supplemented by running and some other high intensity stuff. Diet will take a lot off and running will get the last stubborn bit off and strengthen your obliques to boot!

This ^^

Working your abs does nothing to reduce belly fat.You will just get strong abs underneath your belly fat.
    You cannot do any spot fat removal (unless you use surgery).
    As you lose fat your body will decide if it comes off your butt, belly, neck etc.

I don't do much abs workout.Just push ups and plank once in a while and can maintain a visible 6 pack just because I'm skinny.
    You don't "get abs" by working on your abs.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Greg, have you seen the Russian pull up progression? It's like 5,4,3,2,1 banded then 5,5,4,3,2 and so on for a month. Then it's strict. Then it's weighted.

We we had a guy do that for two months and added like 30# to his weighted pull ups and was able to get muscle ups

The Fighter Pull-up Program Revisited - StrongFirst

Thanks doc! I think I'll do this after Murph. It would be a good June goal.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I do a bunch of pushups throughout the day while at work. I would work in some other moves but don't want to start sweating or bring weights into the office so I stick with pushups. gets me out of my chair and active 20 times/day.

I tried to keep up with you and did like 600 in one day I think. :faint:
    Way too much for me.

I still try to do at least 100 a day even when I don't workout that day.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not only is this guy great to listen to, what he says is spot on. We overthink this too much.

Yeah, I don't count calories or protein intake.
    I don't eat much vegetable either and almost no fruit.

It's pretty simple.Don't eat more food than you need, stay active, lift heavy things to get stronger. :dunno:

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Two days ago took the kids to a park with a monkey bars. I attempted to do a chin up and was able to do one after never in my life being able to do it. I have been training the last few months at 3 days a week with a trainer so that has definitely helped. Yesterday's workout was 20 minutes on the rowing machine at 40 seconds fast, 20 seconds rest/slow reps. That was exhausting.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Skipped yesterday. I learned that cutting caffeine cold turkey gives a major headache.

Today, I did chest and shoulders, walked 33 minutes on the treadmill, and got my mile down to 12:46.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Skipped yesterday. I learned that cutting caffeine cold turkey gives a major headache.

Today, I did chest and shoulders, walked 33 minutes on the treadmill, and got my mile down to 12:46.

Benn there before. From what I gathered from others who have suffered this same caffeine induce headache...hang in there it will only last a couple days.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

I am not an expert by any stretch...in fact I am over weight. However, a friend of mine knows his crap (master cert trainer, sports nutrition, cross fit instructor, among other traing/ experience) high intensity is great but too much cardio is not the way to go either. Fact is you will burn more calories/ lose weight faster if you spend more time lifting weights. Do some cardio (run, bicycle, rowing mach etc) after you finish strength training. And obviously eat right

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Two questions...

Sorry meant to respond to your post see what I said above

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Snipezze
    Top Bottom