• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Oh, if you only knew. The problem is that this topic jumps into politics with both feet. No one wants to allow a reduction in services, it's political suicide. No one wants to raise taxes to hire the needed officers, again political suicide. What's a fella to do? Keep squeezing the turnip.

Why is IMPD buying the new cars ? I understand expenditures on "personal" equipment (vests , uniforms , etc.) but did we really need new cars ?

. Lots and lots of money has been spent in the last 20 years improving the city of Indianapolis. Money spent in an attempt to make Indianapolis a worthwhile destination to bring things like the Superbowl (and more importantly the money) here. .
    SNIP

Penn ave. , Mass ave , MLK , Fletcher / East streets and Fountain Square are good examples .

It blows my mind that young , corporate , white collar type folks and developers / investors blow their money fixing up these old houses in CRAP neighborhoods surrounded by idiots .

It's one thing if your just gonna flip the place but I've seen so many young folks "think" they're gonna revitalize the neighborhood one house at a time .

You can fix a place up and paint a pretty face on it but one street over is ghetto thugs / idiots .

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    More LEOs on the street won't stop the violence. The certain groups of the population have and always will be the ones causing it. Like posted earlier look who the shooters and the victims are.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Indianapolis has got to be one of the most safe (for its size) cities to dwell. The recent uptick in murders is never a good thing, but we have a long way to go before it turns into Flint Mi.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Why is IMPD buying the new cars ? I understand expenditures on "personal" equipment (vests , uniforms , etc.) but did we really need new cars ?

The cars rack up mileage much quicker than your average commuter vehicle. Once they get past 150K maintaining them becomes cost prohibitive. There is a point where it is more cost effective to sell them at auction and buy new than to continue to maintain them. Once you go much past that point there is zero resale value and you're spending more in parts and labor to keep them running.

IMPD doesn't provide uniforms to the officers. New recruits are issued a very basic load of equipment when hired but that's all they get. It is up to the officers to purchase replacements when needed. We are provided a clothing allowance to help cover it which is much cheaper than the agency providing the equipment on a continuing basis.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    The cars rack up mileage much quicker than your average commuter vehicle. Once they get past 150K maintaining them becomes cost prohibitive.
    Makes sense .

IMPD doesn't provide uniforms to the officers. New recruits are issued a very basic load of equipment when hired but that's all they get. It is up to the officers to purchase replacements when needed. We are provided a clothing allowance to help cover it which is much cheaper than the agency providing the equipment on a continuing basis.

That seems like BS , if a uniform is required to do the job it should be provided .

It is against IN. state DOL law but I'm sure they're probably exempt from it somehow .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As to the cruisers. Those cars get the living crap beat out of them. They run more hours in less time than anyone's personal vehicles. There is a hellish load on the electrics due to all the com. gear. They just wear out.

I provide all the clothing for my job. In my line of work I blow through gear. Not as expensive as LEO uni's I am sure but hey, had to say it....................................:D <----that is one gay A$$ smiley face

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Indiana's irresponsible gun laws have been fueling violence in Chicago for years, now they are affecting Indiana's largest city. Imagine that.
    Huh. What kind of responsible gun reforms would you like to see?

Many claim the problem is simply our drug laws. If we legalized everything, crime would plummet.
    That's a big part of it. You don't see mobsters fighting over alcohol turf anymore, do you? Black markets create violence.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    That seems like BS , if a uniform is required to do the job it should be provided .

It is against IN. state DOL law but I'm sure they're probably exempt from it somehow .

Why? The military works the same way. You get a set of uniforms in bootcamp (and you might actually pay for them as well... can't remember) and then a clothing allowance every year.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The cars rack up mileage much quicker than your average commuter vehicle. Once they get past 150K maintaining them becomes cost prohibitive. There is a point where it is more cost effective to sell them at auction and buy new than to continue to maintain them. Once you go much past that point there is zero resale value and you're spending more in parts and labor to keep them running.

All those trips to the mall, restaurants, walmart, the second job etc. probably don't help the mileage issue.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Why? The military works the same way. You get a set of uniforms in bootcamp (and you might actually pay for them as well... can't remember) and then a clothing allowance every year.

Lots of professionals in the workforce pay for all their own training, clothing, and hardware.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The trainees are issued four complete sets of uniforms during basic and then prior to graduation they are allowed a refit of torn/damaged items before heading off to their unit. After that it's basically the same, you get a clothing allowance (if you actually do get it) for a little over 200.00 or so. The last set I bought was over 80.00 for just a top and bottom so that money doesn't get you very far. You can go through boots pretty quick depending on the job and thats 100-200 also.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    All those trips to the mall, restaurants, walmart, the second job etc. probably don't help the mileage issue.

Neither do the unplanned trips across town at 4am to respond to an incident. I don't work a second job and am on call 24/7/365. I can assure you that less than 10% of the miles put on my car are through personal use.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Get better teachers in the schools and LET THEM TEACH and reach out to kids and the violence goes away. THAT'S the longterm fix for this problem.

The ONLY way to get better teachers is to eliminate the union first. And yes, I was an inner city school teacher. And yes, the union protects the crappy ones, while holding the good ones back.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Army Enlisted personnel get an initial issue of clothing and uniforms; then replacement uniforms as needed through unit supply (for E-5 & below, I think). However, it's only been recently (the last 10 years or so) that I saw the Indiana Guard get a handle on that issue; before that, pretty much everyone needed to buy their own uniforms. Officers are issued specialty uniforms (such as flight suits) - as are enlisted specialty uniforms - but otherwise have to buy their initial uniforms and subsequent uniforms as necessary. I think Guard officers used to get a one-time clothing allowance upon commissioning, and then another one-time clothing allowance at five or ten years. After that, it's all on them.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    While I tend to agree with you about having both parents in the home, you are typically dealing with a culture where it is "cool" to have multiple "baby mamas". What you seem to be talking about is an entire cultural shift. I would love for that to happen, but I don't think it is possible at this point.
    Of course it's possible; but it will take another paradigm shift in thinking similar in scope to the one which tore apart the black family to begin with. And it's not just black families anymore. Eventually, the pendulum will swing back toward the nuclear family again; either because young people will finally figure out that the lack of stable families is holding them back (despite all the liberal/progressive propaganda to the contrary) or because the current society will collapse in its own poisons and those remaining will have to revert to nuclear family structures to rebuild their society.

Top Bottom