• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Any of the stats I've seen have been broken down to number of officers per 1000 residents of the jurisdiction.

X amount of officers per 1,000 residents ? I know IMPD is currently understaffed but in "normal" times is it still that way ?

That seems way too low , not saying your wrong or anything . Just seems way unbalanced for the nature of the job .

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Maybe the midnight cricket league the city is planning will stem the violence.

Anything to civilise you down there.

Monty Python Cricket Sketch - YouTube

Nothing to be unexpected here. It was planned:

Life at the Bottom: The Worldview That Makes the Underclass: Theodore Dalrymple: 9781566635059: Amazon.com: Books

I don't see any other way out of the cycle of violence other than to destroy the Welfare State which breeds the violence. The sticking point is that people are addicted to the very thing that is destroying them.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    The City Merchants need to band together and hire a large security company to protect the area. Like in the old days.

Until this mess is cleaned up, I will not go downtown to shop or eat. The merchants must be losing big time.

Then the 2% dinning tax needs to be split to hire more police. and stop paying for a building that was taken down two years ago and is now a parking lot.

Indianapolis is becoming a "Little Chicago"

I live downtown. It's fine. Stay in your suburb. Thanks.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    X amount of officers per 1,000 residents ? I know IMPD is currently understaffed but in "normal" times is it still that way ?

That seems way too low , not saying your wrong or anything . Just seems way unbalanced for the nature of the job .

Not sure what you mean by normal times. Those aren't my numbers, WISH TV had a news story with them yesterday and I believe they got them from the team appointed by the director of public safety to look at our staff.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Clearly there is only one solution to this: Get badges and uniforms for Kirk Freeman & rhino and let them clean house in Marion County.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Not sure what you mean by normal times. Those aren't my numbers, WISH TV had a news story with them yesterday and I believe they got them from the team appointed by the director of public safety to look at our staff.

I meant in times when IMPD isn't understaffed .

What would be a normal / average ratio when "fully" staffed ?

What kind of numbers we talking 3 officers per 1,000 or 300 per 1,000 ?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Get better teachers in the schools and LET THEM TEACH and reach out to kids and the violence goes away. THAT'S the longterm fix for this problem.
    Replacing one government agency with another isn't going to solve anything. It is more fundamental than that.

This all goes back to parents and families, or the lack there-of. The government can't legislate that. Well, not without quashing a good deal other freedoms. The fix needs to come from within, but "we" don't want it bad enough, yet.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy

I meant when IMPD isn't understaffed .

What is the ratio of officers per residents now VS fully staffed ?

Not sure what happened , screen locked up while posting first post .

Ignore this one .

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

I wish I had the numbers, Fox59 had them a few days ago, they pretty much looked at all the comparable cities to Indy (Louisville, Milwaukee, Columbus, Cincy, Memphis) and we have the worst ratio, by a lot. It made me kinda sad.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Nothing to be unexpected here. It was planned:

Life at the Bottom: The Worldview That Makes the Underclass: Theodore Dalrymple: 9781566635059: Amazon.com: Books

I don't see any other way out of the cycle of violence other than to destroy the Welfare State which breeds the violence. The sticking point is that people are addicted to the very thing that is destroying them.

Quote from the Amazon synopsis: "This culture persuades those at the bottom that they have no responsibility for their actions and are not the molders of their own lives."

My last Scoutmaster's Minute for my troop was about how "Life" is made up of two elements: Time and the Choices you make. I haven't quite worked it out but my next one will be about how Blame (victimhood) robs you/denies your ability to choose and make changes in your life because you've given the Power of making and defining your own situation over to someone else.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Replacing one government agency with another isn't going to solve anything. It is more fundamental than that.

This all goes back to parents and families, or the lack there-of. The government can't legislate that. Well, not without quashing a good deal other freedoms. The fix needs to come from within, but "we" don't want it bad enough, yet.

That too will fix education. But I never said education was a government agency.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

You couldn't be more right.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If memory serves, the "average" ratio in comparable Midwestern cities is 2.5 officers per 1000 residents. I believe that Indy is around 1.6 officers per 1000 residents currently.
    I can give you an example if you are familiar with the West side at all. The zone I regularly work in is bordered by 38th Street to the South, 96th Street to the North, Michigan Rd. to the East and Georgetown Rd. to the West. That's a big zone. Our "normal" is 3 officers in that area. Frequently we have only 2. With those numbers it is next to impossible to be proactive because if you take one officer out of service to lock up a "real criminal" that he happens across, then that creates a dangerous situation for the remaining in-service officers should they get dispatched on a higher-risk call. Lately it as not been unusual for a critical incident (shooting, large accident, manhunt, etc) to take an entire district out of service. When the guy got blasted at the strip club at 38th/Lafayette a month or so ago, the entire NW district was out of service and SW & N district cars were taking our calls in addition to their own.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just reported on Fox 59 that another shooting has just ocurred at 40th & Emerson. It's getting too close to my ex-wife and her husband home. I hate bad people that refuse to stop raping, stealing and killing.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    If memory serves, the "average" ratio in comparable Midwestern cities is 2.5 officers per 1000 residents. I believe that Indy is around 1.6 officers per 1000 residents currently.

WOW , even at 2.5 that seems awful low to be "effective" .
    I can give you an example if you are familiar with the West side at all. The zone I regularly work in is bordered by 38th Street to the South, 96th Street to the North, Michigan Rd. to the East and Georgetown Rd. to the West. That's a big zone. Our "normal" is 3 officers in that area. Frequently we have only 2. With those numbers it is next to impossible to be proactive because if you take one officer out of service to lock up a "real criminal" that he happens across, then that creates a dangerous situation for the remaining in-service officers should they get dispatched on a higher-risk call.

That's what I was wondering about .

A couple of weeks ago , I was at a job site over here and a fight broke out a few houses down , I couldn't see it I could just hear it . The home owner had a scanner and said the police had been called .

From the time he said that it took about 45 minutes for IMPD to show up and by then it was over with .

Now I understand why it took so long .

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

....and their vote counts just as much as yours and we're adding more people to the state all the time.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I can give you an example if you are familiar with the West side at all. The zone I regularly work in is bordered by 38th Street to the South, 96th Street to the North, Michigan Rd. to the East and Georgetown Rd. to the West. That's a big zone. Our "normal" is 3 officers in that area.

At that rate you could cover Marion Co with ~30 officers per shift, three shifts, for 90 total officers...

Or go to 10-hour days, 8 active +2 for paperwork, 4 days on, 3 days off, so 90 divided by 4/7ths = 158 officers.

There are 1700 officers now, so I don't understand the problem.

About IPD

(/purple)

Top Bottom