• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I bow hunt and rifle/black powder hunt. The majority of my deer have been taken later into November with my TC Omega. Thats when I see the most deer every year. I actually don't mind the pushed back dates.

The earlier firearms season has always made me stop using my bow earlier than I wanted in years past. Its been hard for me to carry a bow into the woods when I could take my .44. Now I will have a shot at some decent rut activity with the bow. I don't think it will have much impact on seeing deer during firearm at all.

For me....I simply hunt for tender doe for my jerky so none of it really matters to me as I have all three seasons to try.

foamkiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    I have been deer hunting about 40 years and I am sick of the "if they are brown they are down crowd."

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I have been deer hunting about 40 years and I am sick of the "if they are brown they are down crowd."

I agree. There is a difference between deer management and "trophy hunting". Lucky for me I hunt private so I don't have to deal with the "orange army" when gun season starts. I hunt with a bow during archery, gun during gun season, and a ML during ML season. All in all, the current system works ok for me.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace

But if you read the small print carefully it is DEER SEASON, not deer management season, or trophy season. If a hunter with a valid deer tag chooses to take anything that walks in front of him/her IMO it's none of my or anyone else's business, and that hunter shouldn't feel compelled to have to explain why he/she chooses to hunt that way to anyone.

:twocents:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    But if you read the small print carefully it is DEER SEASON, not deer management season, or trophy season. If a hunter with a valid deer tag chooses to take anything that walks in front of him/her IMO it's none of my or anyone else's business, and that hunter shouldn't feel compelled to have to explain why he/she chooses to hunt that way to anyone.

^^^^
    THIS!

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG

I want to ensure a healthy deer population on my land for generations to come by harvesting mature deer. You don't need to justify any of your hunting techniques to me. You're not hunting my land so blast away.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    You guys are dumb. I'm sorry for saying it, but it is what it is. You do realize that when the several thousands of hunters go out on Sat. morning with shotguns purchased the night before, and scoped the night before, it doesn't matter if it is the first week of August, or the last week of December, the deer are gonna move. And keep moving all weekend. So, quit crying about archers vs. shotgunners and just go hunt. Know a guy who killed the 6th biggest deer in the state at the time, he had never been hunting in his life. The deer was someplace it should have never been, but the orange army had stirred it up and he was in the right place at the right time. Didn't even understand what he had. There is way more to hunting than just killing a whitetail. (i.e. tradition, friendship, conservation, etc.) We (indiana deer hunters) are a huge minority and if we continue to fight with each other about the same thing, we will wake up one day, and there won't be any more hunting. Like what has been said before, firearms hunters far out number archers, so band together and go to the DNR meetings. We pay their salaries, if enough people talk they are gonna have to listen. Ultimately, it's us against them, not us against us. It shouldn't be anyone against anyone, but someone always knows what someone else should be doing...so??

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I want to ensure a healthy deer population on my land for generations to come by harvesting mature deer. You don't need to justify any of your hunting techniques to me. You're not hunting my land so blast away.

+1 to you. THIS is the attitude all deer hunters should have. If one wishes to go with QDM on THEIR land all power to them. If a hunter prefers to take the "if it's brown it's down" attitude and isn't hunting your land, all power to them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yup, but it sucks when you have a small spot and those around you just blast away, and their family members do, year after year.
    My bud's spot is pleasant looking area, and I see some deer now and then, but it's not good enough for me to waste my time on.
    Having hunted bigger and better ground I'm just not a fan of burning vacation days to screw around in the woods.

billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I guess some of us that hunt all seasons and are conservationists feel that it isn't fair that any tom dick harry sue pam or kim can pick up a smooth bore shotgun at the local wal-mart a box of slugs and go out the next morning during the best time of the season and wound more deer than others get to see! I wish there was a compromise so that everyone could get the benefit! I love to deer hunt, don't care with what, bow, pistol, crossbow,muzzleloader or what, i don't like sharing the woods with trigger happy wanna bees!

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I guess some of us that hunt all seasons and are conservationists feel that it isn't fair that any tom dick harry sue pam or kim can pick up a smooth bore shotgun at the local wal-mart a box of slugs and go out the next morning during the best time of the season and wound more deer than others get to see! I wish there was a compromise so that everyone could get the benefit! I love to deer hunt, don't care with what, bow, pistol, crossbow,muzzleloader or what, i don't like sharing the woods with trigger happy wanna bees!

What about the tom, dick, harry, sue, pam or kim that got to walmart the day before bow season pick up a crappy bear bow and arrows that arent properly cut to fit the bow not to mention the bow probably wont fit them the take it out the next morning and use the finger method to shoot and they wound deer too. Im sure more deer get wounded with a bow than with a gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Uh, some bows are meant to be shot fingers.
    Kinda rare these days in compounds, but a lot of old fingers bows are still in service and fill the freezer year after year.
    BTW, I've seen many idiots who run untested and or mismatched arrows with release.

Wounding rates: interesting stuff. Was it a gut shot or did the arrow merely scratch the deer? Many folks think a wound is better than a miss, as it "almost got him" and with that the social aspect makes some folks blather about hits, many times saying the location was better than it probably was.

One bad shot, deer probably recovered, blabbed in several conversations, overheard by 20 different eavesdroppers............if none of them know each other.................gets tallied as 20 wounded deer in passed conversation from them (in group).

Could make wounding and or dead but not recovered deer seem much higher than it might actually be.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Uh, some bows are meant to be shot fingers.
    Kinda rare these days in compounds, but a lot of old fingers bows are still in service and fill the freezer year after year.
    BTW, I've seen many idiots who run untested and or mismatched arrows with release.

I realize some bows are meant to be shot with fingers I was mainly referring to those that shot fingers on compound bows. While possible it would be better served using a release.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    You would have loved the opener of firearm last year,where I was hunting.
    This buck walked up the ridge across from me and 4 different hunters unloaded,I would guess 20 rounds on him. Peeves me off too,but I had to laugh.Then get up and leave. State Land hunting,gotta love it.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    What about the tom, dick, harry, sue, pam or kim that got to walmart the day before bow season pick up a crappy bear bow and arrows that arent properly cut to fit the bow not to mention the bow probably wont fit them the take it out the next morning and use the finger method to shoot and they wound deer too. Im sure more deer get wounded with a bow than with a gun.

whats wrong with bear bows? You obviously havent a clue.

heres my wife, taken just this evening. First time ever shooting a compound. less than an hour after her first shot

tarasgroup1.png

oh yeah, thats my daughters BEAR Apprentice bow.....

whats your twenty yard groups look like?

here's the group she shot right after the above pic....daughter wanted in on the glory shot :rockwoot:
    katiewtarasgroup.png

needs a little tweaking on the sights

Top Bottom