• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    What about the tom, dick, harry, sue, pam or kim that got to walmart the day before bow season pick up a crappy bear bow and arrows that arent properly cut to fit the bow not to mention the bow probably wont fit them the take it out the next morning and use the finger method to shoot and they wound deer too. Im sure more deer get wounded with a bow than with a gun.

Alright. Now you're grasping at straws. The deer season is set up the way it is for a reason. CONSERVATION. The State has upped the bag limit to decrease population but doesn't want to infringe on the breeding cycle any more than we already do. Allowing the "orange army" to blast away earlier or later could have long term effects. If you have to pull a trigger buy a crossbow, which is enough of a concession of bowhunters.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    What about the tom, dick, harry, sue, pam or kim that got to walmart the day before bow season pick up a crappy bear bow and arrows that arent properly cut to fit the bow not to mention the bow probably wont fit them the take it out the next morning and use the finger method to shoot and they wound deer too. Im sure more deer get wounded with a bow than with a gun.

I have to disagree with this whole post. As a bow, gun, black powder hunter I will say that the only time I do feel nervous hunting is during the firearm season.

I can't say I see many irresponsible bow hunters or black powder hunters for that matter. Both of these hunting methods take that extra effort that the unloaders of opening day firearms don't want to invest. typically bow and BP hunters have a passion for that type of hunting. Not many people I would think just up and go to wally world and drop 200 bucks on a bow to hunt the next day.

Maybe I am wrong in my thinking but take a poll on here and the majority of deer hunters would agree that opening day of firearms is some scary stuff. I feel safe during bow season and even during BP season.

As for wounding a deer with an arrow. Again...The majority on hits on a deer that don't kill one I have read suggest that the blades cut so clean that if it isn't fatal the deer heals and recovers. Thats not the same as a 3 inch slug blowing a chunk of a deer out on a miss. Chances are that deer will develop an infection and suffer.

Lastly..Bear bows are not junk. Have you seen the bows they have been making the last 3 years.

I have no skin in the argument. I hunt all seasons but as a bow hunter this whole post just seemed way off.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I have to disagree with this whole post. As a bow, gun, black powder hunter I will say that the only time I do feel nervous hunting is during the firearm season.

I can't say I see many irresponsible bow hunters or black powder hunters for that matter. Both of these hunting methods take that extra effort that the unloaders of opening day firearms don't want to invest. typically bow and BP hunters have a passion for that type of hunting. Not many people I would think just up and go to wally world and drop 200 bucks on a bow to hunt the next day.

Maybe I am wrong in my thinking but take a poll on here and the majority of deer hunters would agree that opening day of firearms is some scary stuff. I feel safe during bow season and even during BP season.

As for wounding a deer with an arrow. Again...The majority on hits on a deer that don't kill one I have read suggest that the blades cut so clean that if it isn't fatal the deer heals and recovers. Thats not the same as a 3 inch slug blowing a chunk of a deer out on a miss. Chances are that deer will develop an infection and suffer.

Lastly..Bear bows are not junk. Have you seen the bows they have been making the last 3 years.

I have no skin in the argument. I hunt all seasons but as a bow hunter this whole post just seemed way off.

Well if you have seen how "militant" the Indiana bow hunters association is about taking over all of deer season you might think differently. They would be happy to get rid of gun season and would probably do it with a smile on their face.

I have also seen many people who were not "passionate" at all about bow hunting go out and by a rig a day or so before season without having anything fit to them or having the arrows cut to right length and then attempt to hunt with it.

I dont buy into your theory about a bow being less likely to wound a deer because the blades are sharp. I doesnt matter if you shoot a deer in the guts with a bow or shotgun its still a dead deer. A shotgun is more likely to kill on a marginal shot because of shear force alone.

As far as the quality of bear bows well if you have seen the package bows at walmart they are usually older models that arent as good as the newer bows.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I would guess an untuned bow/arrow system to place shots farther off the mark than an untuned shotgun with slugs...................maybe far enough to miss completely, where the slug would make a wound.

Then we could further look at some of it as comparable wounds and survivability.

When a deer is wounded and lost the person telling the story has no proof of the damage done..........no body= no proof.

I am sick of gun/bow hunters who brag about making a good hit and losing the massive bloodtrail after 1.5 miles.

Hear it over and over, year after year, as if a deer hit and lost is still something to brag about. Funny............when somebody shoots the same deer a week later and the killer wound is just a scab.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I would guess an untuned bow/arrow system to place shots farther off the mark than an untuned shotgun with slugs...................maybe far enough to miss completely, where the slug would make a wound..

Who is to say how far "off" a bow would be vs a shotgun. The same could be said of a gun that hasnt been sighted in you be off just enough and miss the whole deer.

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    Matt52, what exactly makes new bows "better" than older bows?
    I was wondering the same thing. The plan was to hunt this year with a recurve my dad made back in 1959. May have to rethink that and go back to hunting with my new bow. The new bow is a longbow I made in 1984 and have hunted with ever since.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Matt52, what exactly makes new bows "better" than older bows?

Well any bow is capable of killing provided it has enough poundage to be legal but the newer bows have better features that aid in accuracy. New cams, 80% let off, parallel limbs etc. Im referring to compound bows.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I was wondering the same thing. The plan was to hunt this year with a recurve my dad made back in 1959. May have to rethink that and go back to hunting with my new bow. The new bow is a longbow I made in 1984 and have hunted with ever since.

I was referring to new compound bows vs older compound bows being better as their technology is constantly evolving.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    they are no better, no more accurate. Its all just advertising hype. Yeah, theyre a little quicker but speed doesnt kill deer. Fast arrows just make for fast misses. Just more bells n whistles to seperate a fool from his money. Ive killed deer just as dead with 30+ yr old recurves, brand new compounds, used compounds. Its the shooter, not the bow.

live2hunt009

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Nope been following it sense the beginning and I have thought its stupid the entire time. If this were a bow hunting forum it would be a completely different discussion. There is a certain amount of bias here that will never be overcome.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    they are no better, no more accurate. Its all just advertising hype. Yeah, theyre a little quicker but speed doesnt kill deer. Fast arrows just make for fast misses. Just more bells n whistles to seperate a fool from his money. Ive killed deer just as dead with 30+ yr old recurves, brand new compounds, used compounds. Its the shooter, not the bow.

Speed is of little concern but modern compounds do deliver a higher level of accuracy in theory. However it varies from shooter to shooter based on their skill level

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I hate infighting, I'm trying to be a bowhunter, but...

The deer seasons have been published and they've pushed out firearms season a week.

So they've succeeded in claiming the rut all to themselves. :xmad:

Ive got a thread similar to this topic Im glad to see others share my sentiment on the issue:yesway:

The core of the bowhunting only crowd is very vocal and organized the y hit the dnr with petitions and show up to dnr meetings they bring petitions and do their best to hog the floor they ar rabid about it and try to pass themselves as the majority

They are very similar to antihunters in their methods

I've heard then blow up there numbers with weighted polls beware the indiana bow hunters association

i have tried the this bow hunting and i didnt care for it i like my old shotgun the best not much for stick flipping

Nope been following it sense the beginning and I have thought its stupid the entire time. If this were a bow hunting forum it would be a completely different discussion. There is a certain amount of bias here that will never be overcome.
    You missed a lot.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Speed is of little concern but modern compounds do deliver a higher level of accuracy in theory. However it varies from shooter to shooter based on their skill level

Tell that to Howard Hill, Fred Bear, Wensel Brothers, Byron Ferguson They would all shoot equally to modern compound shooters.

Top Bottom