If your wife was raped, would you make her have the baby?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Wow...You folks must have alot more pull with your wives than I do..I can't even "make" my wife hold the toilet handle down long enough to refill the bowl or throw her dirty clothes in a hamper...

With that being said I would believe it would be very hard to "make" a woman to kill an unborn child..In the case of rape there are three innocent parties..The woman, husband and the unborn child. I believe the husband and the spouse would have to sit down together and make a decision. Then they would have to promise each other that no matter what decision was made they would support each other 100% in the final decsion.

All of this is offered in my humble opinion.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If you believe that abortion is murder and you also believe that an exception should be made in the case of rape, you are saying that killing someone who was born from a rape is justifiable homicide.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    This is probably a core issue that should be considered prior to marriage.

I know that's not the "en vogue" way to select your spouse, call me old fashioned.

My wife and I both agree that abortion, for any reason is abhorrent.

If the choice was her life or the baby's life, she would rather die, and I support her in that decision.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    In Indiana if 2 people are married not withstanding a court challenge from someone that baby is legally yours, much the same way when my first child was born out of wedlock the State considered me not to be legally responsible for the child until we went to court.
    I think the question that brought this up assumed that the "donor" was able to request a paternity test within the 72 hour window.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    If you believe that abortion is murder and you also believe that an exception should be made in the case of rape, you are saying that killing someone who was born from a rape is justifiable homicide.
    Thanks for clearing that up?

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County

This is exactly right, the "pro-life" people that make an exception for rape are really pro-choice in my opinion. It's either a life or it isn't, either murder or not, there is no gray area here as much as people want there to be.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Yes pro choice, not pro abortion. As much as freedom is talked about on here, why can't people be FREE to make their own CHOICE.

They aren't making the choice for them, they are making the choice for someone else who has no voice. That is why people are pro-life, because they believe that people shouldn't be allowed to execute a death sentence on another life, they are free to kill themselves if they want.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

Which is it? Murder or homicide? They're not the same thing.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    It's her choice and if you think for a minute you can make her do anything you are very wrong.

I don't like the idea of abortion but I don't presume to control the morality of any other person. My only objection is I don't want to pay for the procedure. With the possible exception of rape of course.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Really? Let's debate whether killing a baby is a "murder" or a "homicide"...

Wow.
    Ok.. Then we'll debate at what point it becomes a baby, since you're apparently unable to just answer the question asked in the OP.

Ps... There IS a difference between homicide and murder.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Ok.. Then we'll debate at what point it becomes a baby, since you're apparently unable to just answer the question asked in the OP.

I wasn't responding to the question in the OP, I was responding to the comment I quoted. The question in the OP is irrelevant for me because my wife is pro-life as well so she wouldn't even consider having an abortion.

ps... you can play semantics all day, the point is you are taking another person's life without their consent. Call it homicide, call it murder, it's the same thing.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    you can play semantics all day, the point is you are taking another person's life without their consent. Call it homicide, call it murder, it's the same thing.
    I don't have to call it either if I don't want. IMO, if it can't survive outside the womb, it's not a life. At that point it IS a part of the mother's body. You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Ok.. Then we'll debate at what point it becomes a baby,......

How about when the fetus is viable outside of the womb? Of course, as medical science progresses, the viability of the fetus becomes increasingly younger.

Correct, from a legal perspective.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I don't have to call it either if I don't want. IMO, if it can't survive outside the womb, it's not a life. At that point it IS a part of the mother's body. You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine.

So if it's irrelevant to you I don't know why you are even talking to me, as you clearly don't believe that a baby in the womb is a human life. I'm not debating the term "murder" vs "homicide", you are. To me it makes no difference, it is morally wrong either way you want to term it. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't see how ANYBODY could FORCE their wife to have a baby short of locking her in a jail cell for 9 months and strapping her on the delivery table.

That said, my wife and I have had this conversation about her becoming pregnant from a rape.

She and I share a common belief that the baby is innocent.
    They're not going to execute the rapist who is the ONLY one guilty of a crime...

My wife asks question, "should a baby be killed because their father is a criminal?"

She believes (and I agree with her) that the baby should be allowed to be born and then put up for adoption because the baby IS an innocent human life.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Wouldn't make her do anything, she is pro-life like myself. If I thought she was capable of murdering an inocent person I wouldn't of married her, thats why I found out fast in the beginning if she was pro-life, or pro-choice......which really isn't a choice since the baby is not given the option of choosing.

Top Bottom