If your wife was raped, would you make her have the baby?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Wouldn't make her do anything, she is pro-life like myself. If I thought she was capable of murdering an inocent person I wouldn't of married her, thats why I found out fast in the beginning if she was pro-life, or pro-choice......which really isn't a choice since the baby is not given the option of choosing.

In other words, she's pro-choice but CHOOSES LIFE!
    You chose well.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    No.

I am completely opposed to abortion used as a form of birth control; to me it is a cop-out much easier and convenient than facing the consequences of your actions re: sex. Yeah, I know, "My body my choice" and all that but if you're gonna partake you'd best be ready for the responsibility....and that's true of both men and women.

That said, I'm not opposed to its use in instances of sexual assault or when the mother's life is at risk. Rape is a violent, hateful act when a woman has absolutely zero choice in the matter - I absolutely don't feel like a victim should be forced to carry her attacker's child to term. If a woman wants to keep a baby conceived in such a manner then that's her decision, but involuntarily conception followed by involuntary pregnancy?

Yeah, I'd go to jail should somebody attempt to force such bull**** on my wife or daughter.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    She believes (and I agree with her) that the baby should be allowed to be born and then put up for adoption because the baby IS an innocent human life.

My mother was an unmarried 16 year old when I was born and given up for adoption in 1964.

I have a great life that includes 4 great Kids and a wonderful Wife. I pay my taxes and mind my own business.

Don't really know about criminal rape, but I am glad my Mother chose as she did.

My wife has gone through menopause and she'll not be having any more kids. But if she could; I guess the answer to the question would be No. I don't really see here choosing to end the life of the child, or me asking her to do so.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    I was adopted at birth, as well. My birth mother new my birth father, and it was a blessing to me that she chose to give me up for adoption. I am pro life in every aspect, except for rape. Rape is the only circumstance where the woman had no choice in the decision to procreate. It is the only time I could condone an abortion. I mean ....really......who would want the genes of a rapist to be continued in the human race, if avoidable, at all!!??!!??!!??

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I am completely opposed to abortion used as a form of birth control; to me it is a cop-out much easier and convenient than facing the consequences of your actions re: sex. ....That said, I'm not opposed to its use in instances of sexual assault or when the mother's life is at risk.

That's double talk. Either it's a baby or it's just tissue. If you oppose it for birth control, presumably because you think it's a child, then it's still a child after rape.

Now, if you support it in rape because it's just tissue, then you really shouldn't care if a woman has 100 abortions because it's just tissue.

I'm not saying what side I'm on, but the "I oppose in most cases" argument bugs the crap out of me because it is illogical.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    So, if a couple opts to keep the baby from a rape, does that make that couple amoral or immoral or in some way bad?
    Choosing to kill the child would be argued against by hard line pro choice people (OK, like me).
    But very few people would say that the child had to be killed.
    As long as it remains the choice of the mother good people can choose to do good things.
    IMHO

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    .....I am pro life in every aspect, except for rape.....

That's double talk. Either it's a baby or it's just tissue. If you oppose it for birth control, presumably because you think it's a child, then it's still a child after rape.

Now, if you support it in rape because it's just tissue, then you really shouldn't care if a woman has 100 abortions because it's just tissue.

I'm not saying what side I'm on, but the "I oppose in most cases" argument bugs the crap out of me because it is illogical.

Of course, there is always such medical alternatives as EC or D&C, rather than that of abortion.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    That's double talk.

No, its not. Its nuance, a concept evidently lost to many folks these days...

I'm a huge proponent of personal responsibility. To me, an abortion is an abdication of the responsibility one assumes when they have sexual activity. Sex is a voluntary act between two consenting parties, and sex can have consequences...such as pregnancy. IMO, if you engage in sexual activity you accept the responsibility and consequences of that act. I (perhaps traditionally) view that responsibility as a woman carrying the child to term, and the man financially providing for her and his unborn child during that time.

My opinion is that abortion is an "easy way out" of that responsibility for both parties.

In the event of sexual assault, I don't believe the woman has responsibility for conception because she was attacked and inseminated against her will.

After being terrorized and physically assaulted in the most vulnerable way, how could any rational person expect, no, DEMAND a traumatized woman carry a child conceived during rape to term?

I wouldn't expect that of my wife or daughter, or of anybody else's wife or daughter.

I would *hope* a rape victim would choose to carry to term, but I fully understand a decision to terminate in that particular instance.

Again, nuance...

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    To me, an abortion is an abdication of the responsibility one assumes when they have sexual activity....attacked and inseminated against her will.

I'm not saying it's not tragic, but again, the circumstance does not change WHAT it is. Either it's a baby or it's not.

Another way: If you have a brown paper bag that contains a baseball, that baseball does not magically morph into something else if you took the bag yourself, was forced to carry the bag at gun point, or was asked by a partner to hold the bag.

If it's a child in a loving marriage then it's a child in rape. If it's a lump of cells in rape then it is a lump of cells in the marriage.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I get the whole Eutopia... people should be responsible talk... but it isn't realistic. I also get the "God says so talk"...

However, statistics show there are 1.3 million abortions a year in the USA... Imagine the toll on our social programs that we all on here hate so much... Imagine the exponential growth of our population and its toll on our economy.

Remove abortion and eventually we turn into India... Personally I'd rather not.

Top Bottom