If your wife was raped, would you make her have the baby?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I would never put a gun to anyone's head in the name of the State and tell them what they can or cannot do.

That being said, I have been Commanded not to murder (along with some other things...). I suppose that goes for everyone, but some women might find it easier to slaughter a life than to wave bye-bye at it as it rode away in somebody else's car seat.

Ultimately, your decision (and the consequence of it) is between you and your Maker.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think the responses so far illustrate why Mourdock's comments did not sit well with voters.
    THey didn't sit well with voters because a handful of those voters believed the asshattery of Donnelly's crowd that Mourdock was saying rape is intended by God. He meant no such thing. And it's ridiculous to believe he did. THose that do are taken advantage of an opportunity to malign someone's character for their own personal gain.

Now, back on topic.

I think she would see the brutality of the rape in the kids eyes forever. If she did decide to carry full term it would be best to be put up for adoption, Just my opinion. Ultimately her choice. I would hope to be there for her either way. Very tough scenerio

She might also see the beautiful phenomenon of life and the utter joy and love. And this comes from a woman who really doesn't like being a mom all the time.

I find it strange that conservatives are so AGAINST social programs but so FOR the creation of more people that need them.
    There are about a dozen straw men in your argument here, so let me help you dispel a few of them.

First, "conservatives" aren't against social programs. Most I know, particular those that attend houses of worship and claim belief in a higher being, are quite fond of them. They give over an above the "mandatory" giving.

Second, their opposition is to the confiscation of property to be used without their input.

Third, an "unwanted" child doesn't create the need for social programs. A complete lack of self-respect and an errant notion that you have a claim to that which is not yours does.

Okay, back on topic again.

No question, I would not abort. And I would keep. That child, no matter how he was conceived, is still a living human being. And I cannot pretend to know better why this or that happened.

But here's a question for the guys: how would YOU feel if your wife decided to keep the child? What if you didn't want to keep it?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Not much of a marriage if you have no say in anything is it now?

STFU. YOu know nothing about my marriage, you know nothing about my wife and you know nothing about our feelings on this situation. So, with all due respect, STFU.

Now... I did not say I didn't have any say. I said that is a choice I FEEL is hers, and hers alone. Being that we are strong together, it would be something she would talk with me about, and we would discuss all the options etc as she would want to know my thoughts/opinions. But in the end, it is a decision she has to make for herself.

So take your holier than thou attitude and stuff it.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Not at all. You are not the father of this child. Why do you have any say in the matter?

In Indiana if 2 people are married not withstanding a court challenge from someone that baby is legally yours, much the same way when my first child was born out of wedlock the State considered me not to be legally responsible for the child until we went to court.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    But here's a question for the guys: how would YOU feel if your wife decided to keep the child? What if you didn't want to keep it?

Be sure I was listed as the father on the birth certificate, and raise the child as my own.

If it weren't possible to keep the child due to any number of reasons, including a mutual consensus to keep the child, then to provide for him or her via adoption.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    STFU. YOu know nothing about my marriage, you know nothing about my wife and you know nothing about our feelings on this situation. So, with all due respect, STFU.

Now... I did not say I didn't have any say. I said that is a choice I FEEL is hers, and hers alone. Being that we are strong together, it would be something she would talk with me about, and we would discuss all the options etc as she would want to know my thoughts/opinions. But in the end, it is a decision she has to make for herself.

Sorry, thought I was allowed to have an opinion as well. Guess I was wrong. I will try to STFU in the future and not disagree with anything anyone says.

I was making a general point about your comment from my point of view, sorry you took it as a direct insult.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

Why don't you STFU? His commentary didn't deserve that response.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Sorry, thought I was allowed to have an opinion as well. Guess I was wrong. I will try to STFU in the future and not disagree with anything anyone says.

I was making a general point about your comment from my point of view, sorry you took it as a direct insult.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. Just expect consequences when you make assumptions about someone's marriage.

I just don't have a caveman mentality when it comes to women. I feel they should have control over their own body as much as I do. I respect my wife and we approach everything as a partnership. Apparently you do not.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    A child shouldn't have to pay for the sins of its father.

/thread

Considering that the same sentiment is written into COTUS, with the inclusion of Article III, section 3 that specifically excludes the Corruption of Blood from American jurisprudence, you're assessment is spot on.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Why don't you STFU? His commentary didn't deserve that response.

IMO it did. There are a few things in life that are just off limits... a persons marriage is one of them. Don't make ASSumptions about someone's marriage if you don't want to **** people off.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. Just expect consequences when you make assumptions about someone's marriage.

I just don't have a caveman mentality when it comes to women. I feel they should have control over their own body as much as I do. I respect my wife and we approach everything as a partnership. Apparently you do not.

Who is the one making assumptions now?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

So the both of you don't have a say over her body. Fine. If she wants children and you don't, she wouldn't have any problem with you making a unilateral decision over having a vasectomy. Or could it be that partnership in which you speak, could really be an understanding, instead of you thinking that your marriage is based upon the former.

Perhaps you should consider the scriptures when making such as statement, as Mark 10:8 and Genesis 2:24 have something to contribute to this perspective.

That is not a caveman mentality. That is a moral compass.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    IMO it did. There are a few things in life that are just off limits... a persons marriage is one of them. Don't make ASSumptions about someone's marriage if you don't want to **** people off.

Well, IMO it didn't. /devil's advocate. (I really don't think it did, but that's not the point.)

I don't think he made assumptions. You pretty much said as much. Is it his fault you couldn't have been more clear? Was it his inappropriateness or your inability to convey the thought clearly?

I think you've just been Mourdocked.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

You're the one that offered it up for opinion, that opened it up for his response.

Don't open the door if you don't want someone to walk in.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I don't base my life off of scriptures. Niether does my wife. We base our life off of doing what's right, to helping others and living a decent life.

Already had the V. It was something we both talked long and hard about before doing it. It was a decision we both made together. Apparently that is a concept way too hard for some people to understand apparently.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't base my life off of scriptures. Niether does my wife. We base our life off of doing what's right, to helping others and living a decent life.

Already had the V. It was something we both talked long and hard about before doing it. It was a decision we both made together. Apparently that is a concept way too hard for some people to understand apparently.

Some people think it's right to take from others if it's going to be given to someone else. Is that right?

What's a decent life? Is it enough simply not to cause harm to others. Or do you actually have to help them at some sacrifice to yourself?

I'm not making a point about your lack of religion. Just trying to understand what you use for your criteria in the absence of an absolute standard.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

Good for you if that is the path that the both of you wish to follow. Though it doesn't mean that others can't offer an opinion based upon the aforementioned scriptures, now does it?

As far as your birth control is concerned, you apparently didn't read my post in its entirety, so your response commentary offered is non seq.

Top Bottom