• Status
    Not open for further replies.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    You said the XD grip was an advantage only for shooters with short fingers. I countered that point by saying that I and several shooters I know have long fingers and prefer the XD grip. You see, typically, in a debate you try to directly address each point the other person is making hard or experiential data while offering a perspective that person may not have considered. From all that you gleaned that I like my XD? How astute!

You're welcome. When we are talking all top tier guns I'm willing to consider price. That's all.

I currently have a spare of every small part for my XD. No, I don't have the actual mag catch, just the button. Yes, I had to order them online. It didn't take weeks. I won't have to send the gun back to Springfield. I won't have to sit out any shooting opportunities. The most interesting thing about your claim is that I see a whole page of FACTORY parts on the pistol gear website. Have a look.

PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL

This is redundant to your last point so I'll skip it.

So, did you or did you not read the article? Everyone does all the sand, mud, ice, etc. I have seen enough and have reason enough to believe that there is currently a wide selection of handguns available that are absolutely reliable. Glocks, sigs, XDs, M&Ps, most 1911s are all guns I would trust to run when I need them to.

I showed you a rather impressive article. What did you think of it. Since there are so many proven, reliable platforms on the market you would have to show me a rather large test sample to absolutely prove that your claim is accurate. Until you produce that I can only operate out of the evidence I've seen and the experiences I have had. I guess I'll keep waiting.

I think you're trying to hurt my feelings.;)

Use a scale and measure it? You want me to weigh the slides to determine bore axis? I don't have exact measurements but the difference in bore axis is negligible. An XDs slide is much taller than a glock slide which is where this perception came from. There is very little difference in that axis of the bore relative to the apex of the backstrap where the web of the hand goes. If you can get ahold of a XD of the same caliber and frame size as one of your glock you can compare. line of the grip tang and the dust covers and you'll see there is little difference. I've done this but I don't have a way of getting an accurate measurement.

Secondly, bore axis is one of several factors that determine muzzle flip. Weight, slide speed, grip comfort and tang height are also factors in the recoil characteristics of a handgun. The bottom line is that I don't notice much difference in recoil geometry and the slide height argument is still a fairy tale.

While I don't disagree, shooters can screw up. They make mistakes. The can get to comfortable or overconfident. There is wisdom in layers of safety. Our brains are far more unreliable than a chunk of metal in the path of a moving part.

I've already proven this false.

There's a little take up then a crisp single action break. The only thing I can knock it for is that there is to much over travel from the factory. Mine has a trigger job so now it is shorter and lighter than stock. I'll grant it that trigger feel is somewhat subjective but the trigger characteristics of the XD are widely considered "good."

Glock triggers start out long and spongy and there is some stacking before it breaks. The break and reset are excellent though. It's very much like an on/off switch. Overall, glock triggers are quite comparable to nerf guns.:D

Many reputable trainers teach it both ways. There are pros and cons to both. I completely understand the arguments for the overhand release. Yet, it isn't the right or proper way as you stated. People do what is most comfortable for them. I prefer the speed of using the slide release. The support hand goes directly from the magazine up to its support role while the strong hand thumb releases the slide. This all contingent on having a usable release. The standard glock release simply isn't.

XDs haven't had a rust problem sind pre-2006 guns. In 2006 they changed their melonite process to be identical to tennifer. I am about to prove to you that melonite and tennifer are exactly the same thing. Are you ready?

History of the company

"To meet the growing needs with regard to wear and corrosion resistance, as well as the enhancement of the fatigue strength, great efforts were devoted to the development and launching of the TENIFER® process, which is also known worldwide under the trade names of TUFFTRIDE® and MELONITE®. This nitrocarburizing process has undergone continuous development with regard to its regenerability and ecology, and from year-to-year the number of applications is increasing on all 5 continents."

They are different trade names for the same process.

I've already dealt with the issue of safeties and I'll choose to ignore the personal insults.

I made a prediction. Now you've made a prediction. It's not worth getting worked up over.

I'm perfectly happy taking the last word, but I suspect that you'll have something more to say. This time I suggest you look at the evidence before you post.

All of this coming from a guy who thinks, "SAFETYS MAKE GUNS SAFER". The next thing he'll be telling us is, Democrats make people richer. I'm so done here! And for what it's worth son, a "scale" is a 6" measuring tool machinists use. Jesus Christ! Bill T.

hicap30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    They are just like Harley's, look in the for sale adds and there are a ton of them for sale too. Cant figure that out at all........

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    glocks are just the ford trucks of firearms, except unlike the f150, they are ugly and cost more than they are worth...they are great reliable guns but they are not THE gun...it is not the end all, bestest, most accurate, most reliable firearm on the market anymore...the thing that glock had goin for them that all of the other companies did not have with their semis is that going back to a g1 glock they were reliable from the get up...so when they produced this horid looking firearm that had little to no problems all the other manufactures were playing catch up...well, unless you put the Beretta 92s, Ruger P series, and Brownings in the batch, because all of those are great reliable firearms that have been on the same level of reliability as Glock for almost 20 years...

Now, all the manufactures that come to mind, (Ruger, S&W, Springfield, Beretta, Sig, Kel Tec, Kahr etc...) make a tough as nails semi auto that will give you years of dependable shooting for less money, or at the same cost with better features.( think m&p 9mm, XDs and XDms, SR9 and 40, PX4 series etc...) people are starting to realize that a Glock is not the ONLY option if you want a trustworthy semi auto...

...besides for some of the hardcore glock fanboys, it must be like driving the same ol' car for years and years, it begins to maybe sputter or just tired of driving it...and they start shopping for something new...

just my .02$ as always...and yea, I'm a Ruger guy...i would put the p95 that i own through a glock torture test any day of the week (thats if i was loaned one..don't really want to bugger up my guns looks and parts just to prove a point lol)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    lol :laugh:

$400-$460 is too much for a well tested and generally rugged and reliable firearm? you must be a Taurus fan....no issues there right?

sounded more like a LLAMA guy to me.

1911's are the AR of pistols, Glocks are the AK's.

They are all great at what they do for what you pay.

I have a Wilson CQB 1911 and G23, G34 and G35, I can speak out all sides of my ass now. ;)

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    sounded more like a LLAMA guy to me.

1911's are the AR of pistols, Glocks are the AK's.

They are all great at what they do for what you pay.

I have a Wilson CQB 1911 and G23, G34 and G35, I can speak out all sides of my ass now. ;)

Exactly how many sides do you have? :stickpoke:

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    $400-$460 is too much for a well tested and generally rugged and reliable firearm?

Not if it is a Glock. If it is a Springfield XD then, yes. Especially if you consider the fact when it was the HS-2000 it was the exact same gun, produced in the exact same factory, on the exact same machines, by the exact same employees, earning the exact same paychecks, and sold for $250.00, and no one wanted it. If you enjoy overpaying for a product by over 100% simply because Springfield has convinced you it's the greatest thing to come along since Monday Night Football, then more power to you! Bill T.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Not if it is a Glock. If it is a Springfield XD then, yes. Especially if you consider the fact when it was the HS-2000 it was the exact same gun, produced in the exact same factory, on the exact same machines, by the exact same employees, earning the exact same paychecks, and sold for $250.00, and no one wanted it. If you enjoy overpaying for a product by over 100% simply because Springfield has convinced you it's the greatest thing to come along since Monday Night Football, then more power to you! Bill T.

Factually, there have been a number of changes to the gun since they were the HS-2000. Of course, this isn't the only fact you've gotten wrong about the XD. You keep harping on the Croation origin of the XD, while panting like a pubescent boy with his first Playboy over the Austrian Glock. Mind telling me what difference it makes, or do you just hate Croations for some reason? Frankly, I'd be a little more iffy about buying guns from the land of Hitler, but to each his own.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008

WOW, that must be a great place to work. All the same people all these years and with no pay raise, they must love it there.

How much was the g19 when it first came out? How much is it now?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Same reason in every Star Wars movie there was always a Storm Trooper rifle to pick up somewhere.

They're reliable, they work, they're cheap and there's a ton of them out there.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Same reason in every Star Wars movie there was always a Storm Trooper rifle to pick up somewhere.

They're reliable, they work, they're cheap and there's a ton of them out there.

But the stormtrooper rifles appeared to be awfully inaccurate.

Does this mean Glocks are as inaccurate as stormtrooper rifles?

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    But the stormtrooper rifles appeared to be awfully inaccurate.

Does this mean Glocks are as inaccurate as stormtrooper rifles?

I think we are getting closer to the answer of life. The Glock/Stormtrooper analogy is pretty accurate.
    Under their funny looking cover they are all the same.
    They are mass produced by "aliens".
    Most parts are interchangeable.
    Everyone either loves them or hates them and when they burst into flames it looks really cool.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Factually, there have been a number of changes to the gun since they were the HS-2000. Of course, this isn't the only fact you've gotten wrong about the XD. You keep harping on the Croatian origin of the XD, while panting like a pubescent boy with his first Playboy over the Austrian Glock. Mind telling me what difference it makes, or do you just hate Croatians for some reason? Frankly, I'd be a little more iffy about buying guns from the land of Hitler, but to each his own.

Absolutely! Go to the "race card" when you have no argument, excellent! You must be a Democrat? No wonder you're so pissed. And for what it's worth Hitler was dead over 4 decades before Gaston Glock invented the Glock pistol. But what the hell, don't let me to be the one to let facts stand in your way!

There is nothing wrong with either the Croatians, Marco Vukovic, or for that matter the Springfield XD, which as I have mentioned is an exact copy of the HS-2000. I'm getting used to repeating myself here. I guess one is required to do that with Springfield XD owners that have a difficult time digesting fact.

First off the Springfield XD / HS-2000 is a nice pistol.......for $250.00. Which is exactly what it sold for when they were trying to sell it. Please notice I said trying. Now it sells for twice that and we've got people standing in line to tell us all how fantastic it is! What has changed? Let's apply that same thought process to the 1911 pistol, or for that matter the Glock, shall we???

How much was the g19 when it first came out? How much is it now?

Both have been competitively priced from the get go. Look at the price of the Glock 17 Pistol in 1987. It's retail price was $443.65, (as listed in the 1987 Gun Digest). It is just about the same today. What is the dollar worth today as compared to then? Now look at your $250.00 XD / HS-2000?? Where did the money go? The $2 dollar holster they give you with it? Perhaps it was the $3 dollar case? No? Well then help me out because I'm lost.

In 1973 I purchased a brand new Colt Gold Cup National Match for $225.00. Today it is right around a grand, give or take. Again, look at the dollar. Adjust according to inflation and the gun is right about where it should be. The XD??? You tell me?

I'm not saying the Springfield XD is a "bad" gun. I'm not saying the Springfield XD isn't a financial success story. It is. But it is based on the fact it is a cheaply designed semi auto that when sold for what it was actually worth, had almost no sales at all. The FACT is that it wasn't until Springfield Armory took it over, both from a manufacturing AND sales standpoint, spent millions advertising the living crap out of it, that the thing even began to sell. Call it a sugar coated turd. Call it marketing genius. Call it business 101. Just don't call it a $500.00 pistol, because the only reason it sells for that is because Springfield was clever enough to convince you it is worth it, when I.M. Metals couldn't convince you to buy it for $250.00. Those are the facts, regardless of how hard you XD lovers find them to swallow. Bill T.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Absolutely! Go to the "race card" when you have no argument, excellent! You must be a Democrat? No wonder you're so pissed. And for what it's worth Hitler was dead over 4 decades before Gaston Glock invented the Glock pistol. But what the hell, don't let me to be the one to let facts stand in your way!

There is nothing wrong with either the Croatians, Marco Vukovic, or for that matter the Springfield XD, which as I have mentioned is an exact copy of the HS-2000. I'm getting used to repeating myself here. I guess one is required to do that with Springfield XD owners that have a difficult time digesting fact.

First off the Springfield XD / HS-2000 is a nice pistol.......for $250.00. Which is exactly what it sold for when they were trying to sell it. Please notice I said trying. Now it sells for twice that and we've got people standing in line to tell us all how fantastic it is! What has changed? Let's apply that same thought process to the 1911 pistol, or for that matter the Glock, shall we???

Both have been competitively priced from the get go. Look at the price of the Glock 17 Pistol in 1987. It's retail price was $443.65, (as listed in the 1987 Gun Digest). It is just about the same today. What is the dollar worth today as compared to then? Now look at your $250.00 XD / HS-2000?? Where did the money go? The $2 dollar holster they give you with it? Perhaps it was the $3 dollar case? No? Well then help me out because I'm lost.

In 1973 I purchased a brand new Colt Gold Cup National Match for $225.00. Today it is right around a grand, give or take. Again, look at the dollar. Adjust according to inflation and the gun is right about where it should be. The XD??? You tell me?

I'm not saying the Springfield XD is a "bad" gun. I'm not saying the Springfield XD isn't a financial success story. It is. But it is based on the fact it is a cheaply designed semi auto that when sold for what it was actually worth, had almost no sales at all. The FACT is that it wasn't until Springfield Armory took it over, both from a manufacturing AND sales standpoint, spent millions advertising the living crap out of it, that the thing even began to sell. Call it a sugar coated turd. Call it marketing genius. Call it business 101. Just don't call it a $500.00 pistol, because the only reason it sells for that is because Springfield was clever enough to convince you it is worth it, when I.M. Metals couldn't convince you to buy it for $250.00. Those are the facts, regardless of how hard you XD lovers find them to swallow. Bill T.

. I have had several glocks in the past and all function 95-100 percent of the time but I never got more than 500 for any of them and that is with at least 4 mags, I got 750 for my xd9 tactical that had at least 3000 problem free rounds through it.
    Don't let this thread get you too bent up, it's all about opinion and what works for YOU.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom