• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I do like the Smith M & P from what I have seen but not enough to get one...I bought a Smith & Wesson Sigma as my first gun for about 300 bucks back in 1999ish...The customer service was terrible ...the gun was worse...it would shoot high and to the right at 10 feet by about 6-8 inches...I called Smith & Wesson and they told me the Rem Oil I used on the slide was the problem....what a crock....I will never buy another Smith after that issue or it will be a little longer to get over that experience...

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I have been thinking the same thing for a long time.

It honestly has nothing to do with how the glock performs but how many are in public hands. When you have millions in the market a large number of them are bound to end up for sale.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I almost bought the XD but I think is it bulky and frankly kind of ugly...but they are good and I would not fault some one if they had chosen that weapon

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I do like the Smith M & P from what I have seen but not enough to get one...I bought a Smith & Wesson Sigma as my first gun for about 300 bucks back in 1999ish...The customer service was terrible ...the gun was worse...it would shoot high and to the right at 10 feet by about 6-8 inches...I called Smith & Wesson and they told me the Rem Oil I used on the slide was the problem....what a crock....I will never buy another Smith after that issue or it will be a little longer to get over that experience...

Oil, really, that is a sad thing to hear. You would think that one of the oldest firearm companies in the would would have better service.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Real men( and women (JG) carry a 1911, everything else is just a paperweight :D

ColtGoldCupNRAEdition.jpg

SpringfieldHK45s013.jpg

SpringfieldHK45s007.jpg

Kimber8400KimberStainless1911Rug-5.jpg

Got plenty of them too! I love 'em all. Bill T.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Or y'all could just go buy a real mans gun. Forget these plastic space guns that run rampant through out the world. Every 2 bit gangsta has a plastic gun, get a real gun and distinguish yourself from the crowd. :):

59467_442398991600_581381600_5515808_7653755_n.jpg

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Or y'all could just go buy a real mans gun. Forget these plastic space guns that run rampant through out the world. Every 2 bit gangsta has a plastic gun, get a real gun and distinguish yourself from the crowd. :):

I aint no cowboy, my gak needs mad bullets in it

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

<whimper> Now revolvers are guns that you can brag about sexy good looks!!

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    It honestly has nothing to do with how the glock performs but how many are in public hands. When you have millions in the market a large number of them are bound to end up for sale.

Yeah. A bit like Harley Davidson's. The best sell. Everywhere, all the time. Some can afford to buy, just not hold on. Bill T.

8baller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    How did your Lone Wolf barrel work out? Did it just simply drop in and run as they say? I ask because I'm thinking of getting one of their threaded barrels for one of my Glock 21's. I like their model the best. Bill T.

yep takes very little time to change over and i have'nt had a problem yet...got around 500 rounds of 40 and 600 to 700 rounds of 9mm through it already..have'nt been able to shoot much because i havent had the time to get my LTCH..but i am going to start the process next week... as soon as i get that it's going to be a minimum of once a month range time and then i wanna look for a tacticle class or 2 to check out..
    anyways i can change out in under a minute and be ready to shoot the next caliber.. hope this helps

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Good deal. I'm going to pick one up. They're prices are some of the best, and they're quality seems to be good. At least on par with Glock OEM, and you can't get any better than that. Bill T.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    :koolaid:

Time out for Kool-Aid and dark-side cookies.

I'll be over here enjoying the bacon of enlightenment.

:D

glocktoys

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    mishawaka, up north by notre dame
    dang glocks seem to breed in my safe. heck one point i had 10 now down to 4 as i got into walthers now but selling off a few of them too. dang h&k's cost too much but got them too. tactical tupperwhere for everyone, heck sig and s&w,keltec and more going to the plastic stuff

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    So we've ascertained from all of this blather you like the grip on your XD. That's nice.

You said the XD grip was an advantage only for shooters with short fingers. I countered that point by saying that I and several shooters I know have long fingers and prefer the XD grip. You see, typically, in a debate you try to directly address each point the other person is making hard or experiential data while offering a perspective that person may not have considered. From all that you gleaned that I like my XD? How astute!

billt said:
    If you're going use an $80.00 difference in price, as a basis of selection of a defensive pistol to bet your life on, I rest my case. I'll save money elsewhere. Thanks.

You're welcome. When we are talking all top tier guns I'm willing to consider price. That's all.

billt said:
    Again you have missed the point. (What else is new?) Springfield will not sell parts to the public, (Didn't I say this before?) I can get any part for any Glock, within a 10 minute drive from my home. If you shoot an XD, you're not afforded that luxury. If your gun goes down at practice, the day before a big match, you won't be shooting your XD. Guys with Glocks won't have that problem, will they? I guess guys with XD's can buy 2. One to run, one for parts. That isn't so far fetched. I know two shooters at my club who have done just that. They had no choice. They enjoy shooting, not waiting weeks for their guns to come back from warranty work done by God knows who, God knows where.

I currently have a spare of every small part for my XD. No, I don't have the actual mag catch, just the button. Yes, I had to order them online. It didn't take weeks. I won't have to send the gun back to Springfield. I won't have to sit out any shooting opportunities. The most interesting thing about your claim is that I see a whole page of FACTORY parts on the pistol gear website. Have a look.

PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL
    billt said:
    For what it is worth I currently own 6 Glocks. I have yet to need a part for any of them in tens of thousands of rounds. When I do they are 10 minutes away, not weeks on a slow boat from Croatia.

This is redundant to your last point so I'll skip it.

billt said:
    There is no gun in history that has been torture tested anywhere near the extent of the Glock. Other manufacturers have tried but have never come close. I don't know where you fish for your information, but it doesn't seem to be biting. At least nothing worth keeping, let alone reading.

So, did you or did you not read the article? Everyone does all the sand, mud, ice, etc. I have seen enough and have reason enough to believe that there is currently a wide selection of handguns available that are absolutely reliable. Glocks, sigs, XDs, M&Ps, most 1911s are all guns I would trust to run when I need them to.

billt said:
    Here we go with the "prove it to me" attitude. That always gets em' when you run out of information and rely on smart ass comments to get you through. I'm interested to see anything that proves (you appear to be big on proof), XD's, or any other gun for that matter, comes anywhere close to Glock in field proven results by militaries and law enforcement world wide. There is none because they have never, and will never match Glocks track record, performance, let alone sales figures and total reliability.

I showed you a rather impressive article. What did you think of it. Since there are so many proven, reliable platforms on the market you would have to show me a rather large test sample to absolutely prove that your claim is accurate. Until you produce that I can only operate out of the evidence I've seen and the experiences I have had. I guess I'll keep waiting.

billt said:
    "Pull ahead" in the problem department perhaps. Now you're completely off the rails. you're getting in so deep a shovel isn't going to help!

I think you're trying to hurt my feelings.;)

billt said:
    Stop believing in your own nonsense. Use a scale and measure it. The muzzle flip of an XD compared to a Glock is unbelievably noticeable. The reason is a higher bore axis. (Didn't I say this before?) The fact you don't believe it changes nothing except the fantasies you love to entertain.

Use a scale and measure it? You want me to weigh the slides to determine bore axis? I don't have exact measurements but the difference in bore axis is negligible. An XDs slide is much taller than a glock slide which is where this perception came from. There is very little difference in that axis of the bore relative to the apex of the backstrap where the web of the hand goes. If you can get ahold of a XD of the same caliber and frame size as one of your glock you can compare. line of the grip tang and the dust covers and you'll see there is little difference. I've done this but I don't have a way of getting an accurate measurement.

Secondly, bore axis is one of several factors that determine muzzle flip. Weight, slide speed, grip comfort and tang height are also factors in the recoil characteristics of a handgun. The bottom line is that I don't notice much difference in recoil geometry and the slide height argument is still a fairy tale.

billt said:
    SHOOTERS MAKE SAFE PISTOLS, NOT SAFETYS! I'm sure as hell glad I don't shoot with you!

While I don't disagree, shooters can screw up. They make mistakes. The can get to comfortable or overconfident. There is wisdom in layers of safety. Our brains are far more unreliable than a chunk of metal in the path of a moving part.

billt said:
    No, I'm telling you if you have to replace broken parts on your XD, you'll have to send it back to Springfield to get them. They don't sell parts to the public. (Didn't I say this before?)

I've already proven this false.

billt said:
    Then explain to me why the XD doesn't have one??

There's a little take up then a crisp single action break. The only thing I can knock it for is that there is to much over travel from the factory. Mine has a trigger job so now it is shorter and lighter than stock. I'll grant it that trigger feel is somewhat subjective but the trigger characteristics of the XD are widely considered "good."

Glock triggers start out long and spongy and there is some stacking before it breaks. The break and reset are excellent though. It's very much like an on/off switch. Overall, glock triggers are quite comparable to nerf guns.:D

billt said:
    Again you have once again missed the point. (This is getting to be nothing new). I'll explain it AGAIN. It is a far more controlled manner to release the slide with 2 hands rather than hitting the lock with your thumb. And that includes your precious XD, as well as a Glock. 2 hands can control a handgun better than one. Or do you want to argue that point in vein as well?

Many reputable trainers teach it both ways. There are pros and cons to both. I completely understand the arguments for the overhand release. Yet, it isn't the right or proper way as you stated. People do what is most comfortable for them. I prefer the speed of using the slide release. The support hand goes directly from the magazine up to its support role while the strong hand thumb releases the slide. This all contingent on having a usable release. The standard glock release simply isn't.

billt said:
    As I said, you shouldn't have to oil the slide or anything else for that matter on a modern defensive carry pistol TO KEEP IT FROM RUSTING. (Didn't I say this before?) I've never oiled any part of any Glock I've EVER owned to "keep it from rusting". I've yet to have any rust appear anywhere. I'll loan you a quart of Mobil 1 to soak your XD in. As far as the ignorance, with a dash of smart ass thrown in for good measure, you've got the franchise in that department my friend. A little pissed are we?? If they are the same, as you seem to claim, why do XD's rust and Glocks do not? They are not the same or the Tenifer process would be done here. It cannot be. Check the MSDS for both processes. They contain different chemicals, regardless of what you've read in your gun magazines. I have looked up both processes in detail. They are not the same, and both contain different chemicals. I don't like repeating myself, but with you it seems to be a total necessity.

XDs haven't had a rust problem sind pre-2006 guns. In 2006 they changed their melonite process to be identical to tennifer. I am about to prove to you that melonite and tennifer are exactly the same thing. Are you ready?

History of the company

"To meet the growing needs with regard to wear and corrosion resistance, as well as the enhancement of the fatigue strength, great efforts were devoted to the development and launching of the TENIFER® process, which is also known worldwide under the trade names of TUFFTRIDE® and MELONITE®. This nitrocarburizing process has undergone continuous development with regard to its regenerability and ecology, and from year-to-year the number of applications is increasing on all 5 continents."

They are different trade names for the same process.

billt said:
    Again, (God this is getting old). No they don't. Your not even close. Intelligent shooters and good safe gun handling make guns safer, NOT SAFETYS! I take it you're the kind of guy who like to depend on his guns safety. That is where you and I part company. I depend on the person who is handling the weapon to make it safer. I'm certainly glad I don't shoot with you. Now it is apparently obvious you are just making noise. Sometimes common sense isn't so common. You've proven that. I've been muzzle swept too many times by guys that "had their safety on". Trust me when I tell you I wasn't any less pissed off! I think, no I KNOW you need to take some basic safety courses! Perhaps mature a bit as well.

I've already dealt with the issue of safeties and I'll choose to ignore the personal insults.

billt said:
    Now you've proven you're just making noise. S&W as well as Springfield have never, and will never equal, or even come close to Glocks sales figures, or user base, be it commercial, law enforcement, or military with their polymer based pistols. How could they? They keep changing designs every fifteen minutes. Comparing Marco Vukovic to Gaston Glock is like comparing a Honda Civic to a Ferrari. The performance level of their guns is just about as comparable as well.

I made a prediction. Now you've made a prediction. It's not worth getting worked up over.

billt said:
    I'm done with this with you. Frankly, it's not worth the time and effort. I won't change your mind, nor you mine. If you want the last word, I'm sure you'll take it. I'm glad you like your XD. I really do. I don't hate the gun, and as I stated, all that keeps me from owning either an XD or an M&P is everywhere they sell them, they sell Glocks. Why should I settle for less? As I stated before, the lousy $80.00 isn't worth thinking about. I'll save money on something that means less. And NO, I don't mean an XD! Bill T.

I'm perfectly happy taking the last word, but I suspect that you'll have something more to say. This time I suggest you look at the evidence before you post.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom