• Status
    Not open for further replies.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    And then people spend money to buy a kit to get a trigger and reset like a Glock.

Best thread ever!

:D Funny and true.

My biggest issue with both the Smith & Wesson M&P line of pistols, as well as the Springfield Armory XD line is the constant slide rusting issues that come up all the time with these guns. The Smith & Wesson M&P Models are having severe rusting issues with the slide, and have been for some time now. Google "Smith & Wesson M&P slide rusting issues", and you'll get the phone book.

Smith & Wesson slide rusting issues - Google Search

This is being caused by the inferior Melonite treatment process to the slide itself. Springfield Armory went through much the same thing with their XD line of pistols a while back. That process did not involve Melonite, but the result was much the same. The slides themselves rusted like an old railroad track, especially when carried in a cold climate. When going from the cold outdoors into a warm building the in / out condensation rusted the slides on these guns in no time.

The reason for this is Melonite, and all of the other trade names this process is sold under, are far inferior to the Tenifer process that is used by Glock. I know someone will argue that, but it is a fact. Melonite, along with the other processes like Tufftride and Nitride, (both gas and liquid), are sold as being, "Just as good". The fact of the matter is they are not. Certainly not from a rust and or corrosion standpoint. The best proof of this over the years is both companies, (Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory), who have used the Melonite process, or ones similar to it including the forms of different Phosphate treatments, have all experienced rusting issues, while a Tenifer treated Glock is all but impossible to acquire any rust on in most any environment. This has been proven over and over in torture treatment after torture treatment involving everything from ocean immersion for months on end to storage in rock salt. Tenifer beats all other anti rust metal treatments hands down. It also reduces the coefficient of friction of the surface itself substantially. It is one of the reasons Glock treats the inside of the barrel itself with it. The Tenifer process is .005 M.M. thick, and is close to the hardness of Diamond. This is why it wears so well. It literally takes years of daily carry for a Glock pistol to develop any kind of holster wear on the slide because of this process.

The reason S&W and Springfield Armory don't use it is because the Tenifer process is banned in this country because it cannot be made to meet EPA environmental standards. This is why the Glock pistol is made in Austria, but assembled in this country in Georgia. Glock applies the Tenifer in Austria where the slide and barrel itself is manufactured. The parts are then shipped here, and the pistol assembled, boxed, and shipped to various distributors.

The Springfield Armory XD line of pistols are made in Croatia, but are shipped as completed guns. There really is no reason they could not use the Tenifer process on their XD line unless there is a logistics problem in getting it done, or else there may be a cost issue. I don't know, but I do know that Glock has it, and Springfield does not. Because of that an XD is far more likely to acquire rusting issues than any Glock ever will.

There is in fact zero reason for a modern defensive carry pistol to be prone to rust in today's manufacturing era. These metal treatments are out there. Glock has proven for over 25 years they do in fact work. A Glock has proven to be one of the most, if not THE most weather resistant handgun manufactured to date. You should not have to keep a modern defensive pistol soaked with oil to prevent it from rusting. That is total nonsense. It isn't the 1950's anymore. The other manufacturers tout their metal treatment processes like Melonite as "Just as good", when in fact it has been proven they are not. S&W needs to step up to the plate here. It is 2010 and they are having trouble matching manufacturing standards Glock has set the bar at in the early 80's. To me that is totally unacceptable in today's day and age. Bill T.

The M&P and XD has slide rust problems when they first came out. They're fixed now. Show we compare that to the problems glock had when they were first released?

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Just so you Smith & Wesson M&P fans don't think I'm indiscriminately picking on M&P owners, I feel there is something to be said about the Springfield XD in regards to unfair comparisons that are constantly being made trying to comparing it to the Glock.

The one thing the XD is superior to the Glock in is handle diameter and that's only for people with short fingers. That's it. Even that is suspect now that Glock has introduced the SF frame model. Other reasons given to the XD's superiority are subjective to opinion and nothing else.

A few of the given "reasons" XDs are better I've read:

Price.

The Glock is about $80 more than the XD. In some areas less. I don't know many people who think $80 is something to worry about with something that protects your life. I just put $80 worth of gas in my truck this morning.

Machining quality/manufacture.

I have seen XDs go out for warranty work, (sometimes complete replacement due to inability to repair). Cracked frames, ftf, stovepiping, chambers needing to be honed. The list goes on and on.

Durability.

Like the aforementioned reason - it's false. Most people have this opinion based on only having a few thousand (if that) rounds through their XDs. At the indoor range I shoot at they are constantly having problems with their XD rentals, (see previous reason problems), while Glocks usually run about 100,000 rounds through them before they cycle a new one into the mix. Those are 100,000 trouble free rounds. Consistently. Wait a few more years when all of these XDs get some real use.

Ergonomics.

XD likes to tout this one in their advertising as well saying that when you point it the sights line up rather than having you look at the top of the slide. Glock went with their 105 degree handle angle for a reason: they tested, tested and did some more testing and found that it provided the best firing results for accuracy and following shots. The XD's handle angle along with its high barrel axis to the hand provide much more muzzle flip than a Glock which in turn means less accurate double-taps and a less control.

Single action vs double action.

The Glock uses the double action for safety. It's one of the reasons it's called Safe-Action. If the striker spring isn't cocked - it can't fire! Just like a down hammer. The XD has a cocked spring. You can count on replacing the striker spring many more times in an XD than a Glock because of this. You also better hope your firing pin block is in proper working order or you're at the mercy of the poorly designed sear of the XD which, by the way, will fire out of battery. Try pushing back on the slide sometime while pulling the trigger. The double action might not be as smooth, clean or as short a pull of the single action, but these are service pistols not target pistols.

The slide lock.

The slide lock on the Glock is designed to be tight against the frame and slide as to not be snagged on anything. They also wanted people to use two hands to release the slide because it's a more controlled manner than hitting the lock with your thumb. This isn't the movies! Release the slide the proper way. The slide lock on the XD also adds a decent amount to the overall width of the weapon - not very carry friendly.

Finish.

Tenifer is not the outside coating. Tenifer is the metal treatment of the slide and barrel itself. It is .005 mm thick and is close the the hardness of diamond. The treatment of the metal itself achieves a 99.9% salt water resistance. Tenifer is also illegal in this country because the EPA. XD does not have it. Don't regularly oil the slide on your XD and carry it in a cold climate for a while. The in/out condensation will rust your slide in no time.

Warranty.

Good thing Springfield has you covered here, you're going to need it. Especially when you find out Springfield won’t sell parts to the public.

Field stripping.

The Glock actually uses a faster process which uses less steps than the XD. Also, many people rotate the take-down lever then pull the slide lock down putting all forward inertia of the slide to come to a halt against the sear (it's the only thing keeping the slide from going forward at that point) and cause damage to the sear, striker and frame.

Loaded chamber indicator.

Glock has this as well.

Cocked indicator.

Glock has this as well. If the trigger is forward on a Glock, it's cocked. Also, how are you going to get a round into the chamber on either of these guns without it being cocked? It's not a Walther with a decocker.

Grip safety.

How is a gun going to go off without your hand on the handle? Your finger should never be inside the trigger guard unless you have the weapon acquired and intend to fire. Are we forgetting some basic firearm rules? The grip safety is null and void.

Customization.

If you can't find genuine Glock custom parts for your Glock at your local gun dealer, you need to find a new one. Glock holsters, parts and accessories are everywhere. Try to find a holster for your XD. It's much more difficult. Yes, it's newer and takes a while, but companies will be reluctant to make them because Springfield supplies you with one, albeit a horrible one with not one level of retention.

I felt the need to debunk these XD/Glock myths. The XD is not even close the being up to par with the Glock. The Glock is going on over 20 years now, and has changed the world of pistols - the XD won't make that sort of impact. Neither will the Smith & Wesson M&P. Bill T.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    The M&P and XD has slide rust problems when they first came out. They're fixed now. Show we compare that to the problems glock had when they were first released?

I've got a better idea. How about you provide me and the rest of us with a link like I just did, showing all of these "problems" that Glocks allegedly have had?? And please spare all of us the Internet stories and nonsense about all of these so called "kabooms" that 90% of which can be traced to inferior, and or reloaded ammunition. Bill T.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    What we have here, is a "True Believer".

I for one, am going to let him sip his kool aid in peace.

Cause in the end, he does have a good gun. :)

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I've got a better idea. How about you provide me and the rest of us with a link like I just did, showing all of these "problems" that Glocks allegedly have had?? And please spare all of us the Internet stories and nonsense about all of these so called "kabooms" that 90% of which can be traced to inferior, and or reloaded ammunition. Bill T.

Bill, we have something you may not be familiar with.

real life experiance with the guns.

It trumps "internet proof" every time.

I dont care if some people have had X happen to Y.

My M&P works for me, and the ones my friends shoot work for them. Thats honestly all I care about.

You keep worshipping your glock, but you arent going to find a fight here, Glock is a darn fine pistol. One of the best.

No need to argue and trade internet trivia.

Shoot your gun. Love it. But dont get tunnel vision. it makes you look like a immature armchair internet commando.

Some of us actually own, and shoot, a lot of guns. And love them all.

/peace out.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Not looking for a "fight". Just stating simple fact. There is yet another reason I've never been a fan of the Springfield XD pistol. This is not meant as a slam to the firearm itself, or anyone who owns or prefers it, but rather an in depth look at how the pistol came about. The modern Springfield Armory XD pistol and it's derivatives, are all spin offs of the HS-2000 which was originally designed by Marko Vukovic and produced by I.M. Metals. The gun originally sold for $250.00 most everywhere, and no one wanted it. The gun was what it was, a cheaply made, imported semi auto that used a lot of MIM parts in it's manufacture, which was one of the main reasons they were able to keep it's cost down.

Then Springfield Armory came along and got involved, purchased the rights to manufacture it, jacked up the price $200.00+ dollars to help pay for the multi million dollar advertising blitz that ensued, tossed in $5 worth of cheap, molded plastic "Gear", and the Springfield XD was born. Sales took off, and the rest is history. Springfield wanted a piece of the market Glock pretty much had the franchise on, and they didn't feel like trying to design a gun from scratch to do it. So they bought the rights to the HS-2000. Not a bad idea from a marketing standpoint if you think about it.

The funny thing is Smith & Wesson had a chance to do exactly what Springfield did from I.M. Metals, but balked on the idea. Ever since then they've been breaking their backs to come up with their own design to compete. Thus far the Sigma with it’s design issues, as well as the M&P with all of it’s slide rusting issues, have proven to be more problematic than profitable.

When the Glock pistol came out in the early 80's, it was scoffed at for the most part. No one really took it seriously, and thought it would last about as long as Madonna. ("Like A Virgin" was at the top of the charts at the time). It did, just not the way most had envisioned. By the time the design took off every gun manufacturer in the country was scurrying to get something on the market to compete. Many of the guns back then were really bad designs that were problem plagued and didn't survive in the marketplace very long. The Springfield XD did, not because of it's design, but rather in spite of it. The Springfield XD pistol has proven how well mass marketing of a given product can work. If you think about it, all it really lacked at the time was Billy Mays trying to sell it on a 1:00 AM Infomercial.

While over the years they have improved it somewhat, it is still based on the original Vukovic / I.M. Metals / HS-2000 design, much like most all 1911's made today are nothing more than copies of John M. Browning's design. The difference is Browning's design was based on gun making genius, rather than nothing more than a fancy ad campaign of a cheaply made gun. In this regard Marko Vukovic, while having designed a very profitable firearm, has a long way to go to catch Mr. Browning. Bill T.

Last edited:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I gotta hand it to ya, you to make handgun production trivia sound like a drama filled soap opera, it is very well written and .. soap opera ish.

Its actually a very engaging read. Full os scoffing and Maddona and breaking of backs and spite.

+1 for great reading material!

And you do have your facts straight 100%.

I think you deserve some rep.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I like both the Springfield XD, as well as the Smith & Wesson M&P. With that said the only reason I don't own one or both is because everywhere they are sold, there are Glocks sitting right next to them competitively priced. Bill T.

usaguy2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    yeah i am not nearly as into glocks as I am my XD 9... Glock misfeeds on me from time to time.. the XD does not... Both claim to have been thru a bunch of tests, only one acts like it.. I am sure i just got a bad one tho or something

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    405988d1231872828-new-protoform-r9-f-body-holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

8baller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    i like my guns like i like my coffee..
    black and bitter with alot of bite..

i only have one glock..one handgun.. and i love it...G27..got the lonewolf 40-9 conversion barrel and love it also..shoots great in both calibers
    i bought mine because i went to the 1500 and molested just about every gun make there and found this one to be the one that fits me best,..
    after shooting it for a while i could'nt imagine ever selling it...

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    i like my guns like i like my coffee..
    black and bitter with alot of bite..

i only have one glock..one handgun.. and i love it...G27..got the lonewolf 40-9 conversion barrel and love it also..shoots great in both calibers
    i bought mine because i went to the 1500 and molested just about every gun make there and found this one to be the one that fits me best,..
    after shooting it for a while i could'nt imagine ever selling it...

How did your Lone Wolf barrel work out? Did it just simply drop in and run as they say? I ask because I'm thinking of getting one of their threaded barrels for one of my Glock 21's. I like their model the best. Bill T.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Wow. A real life glock fanboy. I haven't seen one on here for awhile. I'll address your misunderstanding of the XD but most of my comments will apply equally to the M&P. The only reason I carry XDs over M&Ps is I prefer the trigger pull.

Just so you Smith & Wesson M&P fans don't think I'm indiscriminately picking on M&P owners, I feel there is something to be said about the Springfield XD in regards to unfair comparisons that are constantly being made trying to comparing it to the Glock.

The one thing the XD is superior to the Glock in is handle diameter and that's only for people with short fingers. That's it. Even that is suspect now that Glock has introduced the SF frame model. Other reasons given to the XD's superiority are subjective to opinion and nothing else.

I have long fingers and know quite a few long fingered XD shooters that like the grip as much as I do. You made a sweeping assumption that you couldn't possibility know if it was absolutely true. The XD grip is superior to the glocks because it is proportionate to the human hand. I wish I had a dollar for every time, on this very forum, that I've read a comment similar to "I used to hate the grip but I eventually got used to it." I would have enough to buy another XD.

billt said:
    A few of the given "reasons" XDs are better I've read:

Price.

The Glock is about $80 more than the XD. In some areas less. I don't know many people who think $80 is something to worry about with something that protects your life. I just put $80 worth of gas in my truck this morning.

I'm ecstatic when I can buy a better gone and save eighty dollars. When we're talking about all the top tier guns on the market comparing price between the is quite valid.

billt said:
    Machining quality/manufacture.

I have seen XDs go out for warranty work, (sometimes complete replacement due to inability to repair). Cracked frames, ftf, stovepiping, chambers needing to be honed. The list goes on and on.

I've seen - heck, we've all seen guns of all different types go for warranty work and have reliability problems. Guns are machines and no one's QC is 100%. Unless you are willing to claim that no glocks have had cracked frames, ftf, stovepiping or the chambers needing honed. Is that your claim?

billt[B said:
    Durability.[/B]
    Like the aforementioned reason - it's false. Most people have this opinion based on only having a few thousand (if that) rounds through their XDs. At the indoor range I shoot at they are constantly having problems with their XD rentals, (see previous reason problems), while Glocks usually run about 100,000 rounds through them before they cycle a new one into the mix. Those are 100,000 trouble free rounds. Consistently. Wait a few more years when all of these XDs get some real use.

False because you say so? Interesting. One of the things that first drew me to the XD was this article. It's all your typical torture tests after 20,000 rounds through the pipe.

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY

Bottom line is that the XD, M&P, Sig, most 1911s are just every bit as reliable and durable as glocks are. I'm interested to see the test data you have that brought you to this conclusion. A few thousand samples should be adequate to prove your point. I'll be waiting.

billt said:
    Ergonomics.

XD likes to tout this one in their advertising as well saying that when you point it the sights line up rather than having you look at the top of the slide. Glock went with their 105 degree handle angle for a reason: they tested, tested and did some more testing and found that it provided the best firing results for accuracy and following shots. The XD's handle angle along with its high barrel axis to the hand provide much more muzzle flip than a Glock which in turn means less accurate double-taps and a less control.

Here is where the the XD (and M&P) start to pull ahead. A glock grip angle is an unnatural cant. Test it for yourself. Hold a wooden dowel in your hand with the arm and trigger finger extended. Measure the angle against a vertical line and compare to the glock angle. The glock cants much farther forward than your hand naturally does.

The slide height and muzzle flip argument is an illusion. The slide height compares nicely to most other guns. You don't hear anyone complaining about the muzzle height of a 1911 or a revolver do you. That's a red herring to try to combat the fact that there are a few other pistol makes stealing glocks market share. Also, I'm very interested in seeing those definitive tests you're referring to that shows the superior firing results. I find a comfortable gun more controllable.

billt said:
    Single action vs double action.
    The Glock uses the double action for safety. It's one of the reasons it's called Safe-Action. If the striker spring isn't cocked - it can't fire! Just like a down hammer.
    If glock wanted safe pistol they would have put a safety on it. Giving it a a long spongy trigger doesn't help anything.

billt said:
    The XD has a cocked spring. You can count on replacing the striker spring many more times in an XD than a Glock because of this.

Are telling me I will have to do routine maintenance on my pistols? Oh, the horror!

billt said:
    You also better hope your firing pin block is in proper working order or you're at the mercy of the poorly designed sear of the XD which, by the way, will fire out of battery. Try pushing back on the slide sometime while pulling the trigger. The double action might not be as smooth, clean or as short a pull of the single action, but these are service pistols not target pistols.

The sear is actually very well designed. It rotates down and away. It is quite easy to adjust surface engagement to improve the trigger pull. It breaks quite clean. Let me guess, you haven't been inside a Xd much. By the way, all pistols will fire out of battery to some degree. It's humorous you have decided to include this in you critique of XDs. Glocks will fire further out of battery and will fire out of battery sooner than an XD. Oh, and it is quite acceptable for a service pistol to have a nice trigger.

billt[B said:
    The slide lock.[/B]

The slide lock on the Glock is designed to be tight against the frame and slide as to not be snagged on anything. They also wanted people to use two hands to release the slide because it's a more controlled manner than hitting the lock with your thumb. This isn't the movies! Release the slide the proper way. The slide lock on the XD also adds a decent amount to the overall width of the weapon - not very carry friendly.

There is no proper way. There is the way you prefer and the way that I prefer. For people who prefer to release the slide the way I prefer a usable slide stop is an advantage. I am curious how you know the XD slide stop isn't carry friendly. How long have you carried an XD? Surely it has been a long time for you figure this out. My 45 tactical wears a pistol gear EXTENDED slide stop. It doesn't snag. It's not uncomfortable. It doesn't effect my firing grip. It is simply usable and located perfectly so I don't have to adjust my grip to use it. This was probably you silliest argument.

billt said:
    Finish.

Tenifer is not the outside coating. Tenifer is the metal treatment of the slide and barrel itself. It is .005 mm thick and is close the the hardness of diamond. The treatment of the metal itself achieves a 99.9% salt water resistance. Tenifer is also illegal in this country because the EPA. XD does not have it. Don't regularly oil the slide on your XD and carry it in a cold climate for a while. The in/out condensation will rust your slide in no time.

The current XD (2006 and later)melonite is exactly the same as glock's tenifer. exactly the same. Different trade names for the same process. It is a metal treatment rather rather than a finish. Is spreading misinformation fun or are you just that ignorant? Also, I've carried my XD a lot in a cold climate with a regularly oiled slide. I can't find the slide rust you promised would be there.

billt said:
    Warranty.

Good thing Springfield has you covered here, you're going to need it. Especially when you find out Springfield won’t sell parts to the public.

Is this your way of admitting Springfield's warranty is better? I honestly don't know. I've never needed it.

billt said:
    Field stripping.

The Glock actually uses a faster process which uses less steps than the XD. Also, many people rotate the take-down lever then pull the slide lock down putting all forward inertia of the slide to come to a halt against the sear (it's the only thing keeping the slide from going forward at that point) and cause damage to the sear, striker and frame.

That's good to know for the next time I go to the national speed field stripping competition. :rolleyes: I like that the process forces you to lock the slide back. It forces you to clear the gun and gives you a nice visual of the mag well. I would imagine that would reduce the chance of screwing up and shooting yourself. Who knows? I like it better. I also wonder if you know it is possible to ride the slide down gently to avoid those problems you just made up.

Are you not going to comment on the fact that a lot of people have to buy an aftermarket part to make it easier to field strip a glock?

billt said:
    Loaded chamber indicator.

Glock has this as well.

Cocked indicator.

Glock has this as well. If the trigger is forward on a Glock, it's cocked. Also, how are you going to get a round into the chamber on either of these guns without it being cocked? It's not a Walther with a decocker.

Ah, finally some accurate statements.

billt said:
    Grip safety.

How is a gun going to go off without your hand on the handle? Your finger should never be inside the trigger guard unless you have the weapon acquired and intend to fire. Are we forgetting some basic firearm rules? The grip safety is null and void.

Safeties make guns safer. The grip safety is beneficial for holster and unholstering. Well, anytime that you are handling the gun without the intention to fire. Things other than fingers can pull triggers. XD owners typical handle the firearm the their thumb in the striker indicator area so the grip safety remain engaged. I also like how the XD grip safety is actually a sear block rather than a trigger block like a 1911 grip safety.

billt said:
    Customization.

If you can't find genuine Glock custom parts for your Glock at your local gun dealer, you need to find a new one. Glock holsters, parts and accessories are everywhere. Try to find a holster for your XD. It's much more difficult. Yes, it's newer and takes a while, but companies will be reluctant to make them because Springfield supplies you with one, albeit a horrible one with not one level of retention.

I've been able to find everything I've wanting for customization. Is it supposed to bother me that I had to find it buy sitting on my couch, ordering it from one of the several sites that specialize in XDs rather than getting out and searching gun shops? :dunno: I like my way better. The only thing the I would like to see available for the XD that is available for glocks is a long slide option.

billt said:
    I felt the need to debunk these XD/Glock myths. The XD is not even close the being up to par with the Glock. The Glock is going on over 20 years now, and has changed the world of pistols - the XD won't make that sort of impact. Neither will the Smith & Wesson M&P. Bill T.

The XD and M&P are both superior designs. Don't you think it is interesting that the Gen4 adopted some of the features of the XD and M&P? They're trying to keep up. Mark my words. Without serious design changes in a another twenty years glock will be left in the dust.

The Gun Zone -- More Glock Problems

I'll start with that. The fact that you don't know about this stuff is amazing. This was a 2003 article so it doesn't include the G22s that wouldn't function with a weapon light attached or glock shipping their gen4 G19 with the wrong friggen' recoil spring. It's a long history of quality issues and "upgrades." Regarding kabooms, with the exception of over charged loads all glock kabooms can be traced back the that poorly designed, oversized, under supported chamber. The term kaboom (and "glock leg") are results of glock's poor design. I'm curious. You blamed 90 percent on ammo. What is the other 10 percent? Most glock guys just go all out and blame the ammo every time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom