i messed up big (WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Plain and simple pulling the trigger on a closed chamber for disassembly is another chance for murphy to pop up and ruin your day.

That's the thing. You DON'T pull the trigger on a closed chamber for disassembly. The slide HAS TO BE locked back to turn the takedown lever THEN you pull the trigger. The slide is LOCKED OPEN. There CAN'T be round in the chamber, unless you're holding one in there on purpose.

If you shoot yourself on disassembly, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. There's no design made to prevent you from shooing yourself if you don't FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. You can still shoot yourself with a 1911 if you don't FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    VWfred69,
    Takes a manly set to put your story on here for us to read; I appreciate your honesty and putting yourself behind the eight ball to remind us all to keep it safe and think before we do. Hope you heal quickly and I am so glad to hear your wife has good sense about her, she's a keeper. Good luck to ya pal and thanks again.
    Big agree with Sig. :rockwoot:

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Hope you make full recovery.
    Repd for having the stones to post about this.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    VWfred69,
    Takes a manly set to put your story on here for us to read; I appreciate your honesty and putting yourself behind the eight ball to remind us all to keep it safe and think before we do. Hope you heal quickly and I am so glad to hear your wife has good sense about her, she's a keeper. Good luck to ya pal and thanks again.

Very true. Most of us gun owners are harsh critics when it comes to lack of gun safety or accidental discharges. Thanks for reminding us to be vigilant in safe firearms handling.

As for your hand, I hope it's better. But, you were given two so you can live without the other one.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    The OP already said, and showed, how he was holding it. Apparently it was the slide.

The OP also thought the gun was unloaded and pulled the trigger.

There is no flash or blast from the ejection port of an automatic pistol unless you have an out of battery discharge which this was not.

The propulsive gasses and bullet have long left the barrel before disengagement of the barrel and slide lock up starts it's rear ward travel. Any exhaust from the discharge that comes out of the ejection port/breech area are low pressure unless there is something wrong with the pistol.

Last edited:

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    but i said i may have jerked or something it is pretty obvious either bullet/muzzle flash or something tore my hand up. I was trying to stress the point to drop your mag and clear the gun! I had just had it locked back empty showing it to my wifes dad. Had 3 mags 2 empty, case only has slots for 2 so i slipped one in thinking i put the empty in. as soon as i closed the case her uncle said does it come apart easy for cleaning. i picked it up thinking it was still empty locked the slide back ,locked the slide back, didn't notice the shell. fliped the slide release and slid forward while pulling the trigger.
    Big boom to my surprise with the bullet going into the ground.
    he last!

I am not just trying to say check your gun I was reminding you to make sure to drop the mag first when checking don't think you have a empty mag. I will post this every page if needed. I wasn't debating weather it was the slide or bullet. Just trying to help others,by admitting my big mistake.

A RANGER T HOLLOWPOINT PROBABLY SHREDDED MY HAND.

Last edited:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ive heard you'll shoot your eye out but, you'll shoot your hand off is new to me. On my XD its as a safety function that allows you to indicate if there is a round in the chamber. And why did you have a clip in the gun anyways while your going to field strip it :dunno:. If you want you can give me the gun. lol

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    but i said i may have jerked or something it is pretty obvious either bullet/muzzle flash or something tore my hand up. I was trying to stress the point to drop your mag and clear the gun! I had just had it locked back empty showing it to my wifes dad. Had 3 mags 2 empty, case only has slots for 2 so i slipped one in thinking i put the empty in. as soon as i closed the case her uncle said does it come apart easy for cleaning. i picked it up thinking it was still empty locked the slide back ,locked the slide back, didn't notice the shell. fliped the slide release and slid forward while pulling the trigger.
    Big boom to my surprise with the bullet going into the ground.
    he last!

I am not just trying to say check your gun I was reminding you to make sure to drop the mag first when checking don't think you have a empty mag. I will post this every page if needed. I wasn't debating weather it was the slide or bullet. Just trying to help others,by admitting my big mistake.

A RANGER T HOLLOWPOINT PROBABLY SHREDDED MY HAND.

Fortunately it looks like it just grazed you. If it had went through your hand the damage could have been much worse with a hollow point. You will probably be more aware of this from now on than most people will ever be. Glad you are alright and nobody else was injured.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    how bad was your damage oldfb?

Pics are in my album after the final and second surgery.
    The bone connecting my booger hooker to my wrist was destroyed at the middle. Surgical erector part screwed to the nubs with a bone graft and cadaver bone for fill.
    They rerouted my artery (used to take the pulse) to the back of my hand since the bullet pulped so much of the hand and bone.

Finger is @1/2" shorter than before. Still have lead and copper shards inside. I can pull a trigger but have decreased strength or control in grasping like in a slingshot or slide pinch.

However I still consider my self one lucky slob after my case of the stupids.

I hope no one ever has to go through that experience.
    Thankfully most that have an accident will hear a click instead of a bang because the rules were followed. Then there's people like me that thought they were safe and actually were teaching themselves bad habits through repitition and complacency. All mine took was a long sleepless night to reach up and bite me.

Negligent or accidental are just words once the gun discharges.

How much if any damage is done depends entirely upon all the building blocks of your training and safety routine.
    I spotted my flaws after the fact. Hopefully by the OP and others sharing with the board everyone will look for their questionable habits and correct them now instead of after the fact.

Just in case some think we shared so everyone can tell us how stupid we were or superior their safety drills are, just remember I had over 18yrs accident free of what I considered safe gun handling.

All it took was one bad day to expose every flaw that I had developed.

sorry for the threadjack!

Top Bottom