i messed up big (WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Man, sorry to hear about your incident. It is a good reminder that it could happen to any of us. Hopefully we can see some follow up pics of a healed up-ready to shoot hand. By the way, is that your dominant hand or off hand? I assume your off hand since you were pulling the trigger with shooting hand.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    As I teach my students; the person most likely to shoot you is YOU.

The 4 cardinal firearm safety rules must be followed without exception. Make exceptions and you end up shooting things that shouldn't be shot.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Here's the way I was taught.

1. Drop the magazine out of the firearm.
    2. Rack the slide three times
    3. Lock back the slide
    4. Use your pinky finger to feel if a round is chambered
    5. Then visually inspect the chamber
    6. With your trigger finger in register the whole time.
    Might be redundant, but it seems to work well...

Hope your hand gets better soon. That looks like it would hurt like "he" double toothpicks.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    well i was holding the slide when i pulled the trigger but who knows. i know the new splint sucks. did u put the sign on my desk?

Once again. Sorry to hear about your accident.

However judging by the photos you took a .40 through the hand. You can pretty much see where the bullet entered, traveled and exited your hand.

I did a little photo essay to show you how I think you did it (sorry could not have right hand in picture as it was holding camera)

1. Gripping slide with left hand to assist in disassembly:
    100_0622.jpg

2. Part of hand removed to show area affected:
    100_0623.jpg

3. Trigger is pulled, pistol fires. You can clearly see which part of the hand the pistols barrel is pointed at:
    100_0624-1.jpg

Last edited:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    However judging by the photos you took a .40 through the hand. You can pretty much see where the bullet entered, traveled and exited your hand.

Ah, that makes more sense. A buddy & I were trying to figure out how the ejection port would be able to bite enough to do that much damage. We both had our XDm's out, scratching our heads.

We both came to the opinion that someone was watching over the OP on this one to have no functional damage done. My buddy also almost got sick after looking at the pics after about 20 seconds :laugh:

I hope it's healing up as well as can be expected & I hope that the plastic surgeon is a talented one.

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    I'm not saying i didn't shoot myself but this was my approximate hand placement on the gun. It is the tactical so lots of room to grab, my thought is when i pulled the trigger thinking it was unloaded there was probably a big jerk involved. This is as close as i can get with my hand the way it is. I usually don't push on the end of the barrel with this gun, i did with my old Taurus but this has a lighter pull.

This is suppposed to be a DON'T repeat the dumb@ss thing i did! Follow all safety steps no matter how redundant and always drop your mag and clear your gun!
    gun1.jpg

Last edited:

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    would the escaping gases be enough to do that much damage (in combination with bite)? I remember Mythbusters doing an episode about a thumb being blown off by escaping gases on a large caliber handgun...they confirmed it. Just wondering if that would make sense (I'm no expert).

Hope you have a quick recovery...from one VW guy to another (judging from your S/N)...

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    I'm sorry you had an ND. I hope your hand heels up. I always double check. I always check after I set a firearm down as well.

It takes balls to admit this to the world. You will be more careful from now on I'm sure.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    would the escaping gases be enough to do that much damage (in combination with bite)? I remember Mythbusters doing an episode about a thumb being blown off by escaping gases on a large caliber handgun...they confirmed it. Just wondering if that would make sense (I'm no expert).

Hope you have a quick recovery...from one VW guy to another (judging from your S/N)...

A revolver has a different design than a sem-auto (obviously).

A revolver has a gap between the cylinder & the forcing cone to allow for cylinder clearance on closure. On Mythbusters they used a high powered round (I think it was a .44 mag). Lower powered rounds hurt but not that kind of damage.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    A revolver has a different design than a sem-auto (obviously).

A revolver has a gap between the cylinder & the forcing cone to allow for cylinder clearance on closure. On Mythbusters they used a high powered round (I think it was a .44 mag). Lower powered rounds hurt but not that kind of damage.

yeah, I knew we weren't comparing apples to apples, and I assumed it was a bit out there in the way of theories, but, threw it out there in case. Still a scary proposition, and I'm glad he posted, it will be in the back of my mind as a reminder to follow the rules of redundancy.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    When mine happened with my xdsc I actually must have brain faded and put the loaded mag back in after I locked it open to check clear. All the tripple checking in the world doesn't mean diddly when you brain fart.
    It is all the other rules that hopefully will keep yourself from getting shot or killed.

Plain and simple pulling the trigger on a closed chamber for disassembly is another chance for murphy to pop up and ruin your day.

Obviously SA felt strongly enough to make sure the xdm did adress that design fluke.

Ultimately it was my fault "but" that design contributed to the chain of events.

Unfortunately I think by dryfiring and excessive handling I caused myself to become complacent while developing a bad muscle memory of allowing my palm to cover part of the muzzle to keep the slide from springing off the frame during takedown.

If I had to guess I would think that was how you got bit.

My indoor kept beagle debrided my wound everyday before I used sterile water or tapwater to flush mine while healing.
    I believe it helped my scar and healing.

Chinese medicine has used canines for burn and wound care for centuries.

This is not medical advice and I am not a doctor. Nor am I suggesting this folk remedy for anyone. I am only relaying my personal experience.
    Neither I nor INGO suggest you do this. Doing so you assume all risk and liability.

YMMV

Goodluck and Mend quickly.

Remember it could happen to anyone so be careful when you say "never me".

Top Bottom