i messed up big (WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I think that would have huge value - as a great learning opportunity for all of us. I've been a certified instructor for a long time, and I've had one particular "learning experience" myself, although unlike the OP, I'm not sure I'm man enough to share it.

Agreed. I think I have learned not to buy a gun that requires you to press the trigger to break it down....

I know I am a relative n00b but, seems a silly way to engineer it if you ask me.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Agreed. I think I have learned not to buy a gun that requires you to press the trigger to break it down....

I know I am a relative n00b but, seems a silly way to engineer it if you ask me.

The gun that requires the trigger to be pulled is not the problem.

Hopefully this expierence will make one person to remember to think twice.

Thanks for sharing your bad expierence.

Remember egos heal with time.

Theres a lot of people on hear that have had a ND as well that will never admit to it, and those that havent yet that will.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The gun that requires the trigger to be pulled is not the problem.

Hopefully this expierence will make one person to remember to think twice.

Thanks for sharing your bad expierence.

Remember egos heal with time.

Theres a lot of people on hear that have had a ND as well that will never admit to it, and those that havent yet that will.

Agreed, ultimately it is up to the user to make sure everything is clear, however, as a n00b, I would prefer to keep my guns as idiot proof as possible, so I do not look like an idiot, lol.

...and I am not being facetious in the least, one of the reasons I chose the Bersa as my first handgun was it's simplicity.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Anyone ever have their thumb on an extended beaver tail, thinking it was the bobbed hammer?
    I did once. Once. And went to lower the hammer.

The chamber was empty - but I have not been able to forget about it. I was a little hard on myself for that. But no surprise boom, just click. Makes a good case for a decocker though.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Okay, here is my scenario. I was moving a Kimber 1911 from my desk drawer (at home) to my gun safe because my daughter was coming over and bringing some friends. As I took the gun out of the drawer, the magazine was already removed, sitting next to the gun in the drawer. I took the gun and mag to the safe in my bedroom and put the magazine into the safe. Then I locked back the slide of the gun, and visually inspected the chamber - no round present. But just to be sure, I stuck my finger into the chamber to see if I could feel a round - despite the fact that I couldn't see one. Still no round present. So I closed the slide, pointed the firearm in a safe direction, and pulled the trigger - since I always store my guns in a "all springs closed" condition. Under that scenario, there's NO possibility of an "AD," right??

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    Glad you are ok and hope ure hand heals well. On a scale of 1-10 how bad did it hurt? I have smashed a finger full force with a 5lb sledge before and it hurt like a 10.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    VWFred I hope your ready to get back to work. you have alot of explaining to do. lol Hope You get better and i thought it was the P22, didnt know it was the xd ouch.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Okay, here is my scenario. I was moving a Kimber 1911 from my desk drawer (at home) to my gun safe because my daughter was coming over and bringing some friends. As I took the gun out of the drawer, the magazine was already removed, sitting next to the gun in the drawer. I took the gun and mag to the safe in my bedroom and put the magazine into the safe. Then I locked back the slide of the gun, and visually inspected the chamber - no round present. But just to be sure, I stuck my finger into the chamber to see if I could feel a round - despite the fact that I couldn't see one. Still no round present. So I closed the slide, pointed the firearm in a safe direction, and pulled the trigger - since I always store my guns in a "all springs closed" condition. Under that scenario, there's NO possibility of an "AD," right??

The only thing I can think of is maybe a round got hun g up on the extractor some how, so when you closed the slide it was then chambered. Only thing I can come up with.

Whats the answer, I'm dying to know.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side

The possibility exists that you have two magazines... With one in the gun a single check for an empty chamber is not sufficient (since the first check shows an empty chamber and then loads the chamber off the mysterious second magazine)

This is why a double check (tripple check) is recommened (by me).

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Thanks to the OP for having the cajones to post about this. Hope your hand heals soon and well!

I'm not familiar with XD's. How do you go about disassembling one, assuming that you know that there is a round chambered? Seems a little odd that you have to pull the trigger to take it apart...but again I don't know anything about them so I'm probably missing something.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Best thing is no one is was seriously injured. I have been around guns, for about thirteen years now. I know that people can get complacent. All you can do is learn from your mistake, and be safe.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Wow man hope all winds up ok.

By the way you were a WWYDFT at the firehouse this morning.

(What Would You Do For This)

Kind of our morbid EMS training, we find the most F'ed thing we can and say ok how would you treat this. You guys would crap if I told you the most disturbing thing a guy "brought in". I will tell you this about it, most firemen can handle lots of gore but 7 of 9 of us left the room and wouldn't return. I stayed, it was disturbing... kind of like a train wreck though you had to watch.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I'm sitting here debating with myself about the whole have to pull the trigger to disassemble the gun issue - which has been discussed repeatedly on more than 1 forum. I agree it is incumbent on all of us to make absolutely sure that the weapon we are handling is unloaded before working on it; however this certainly is not the first time something like this has happened. A few weeks ago on another site 3 stories from local newspapers were posted in the same day of someone having a ND while tearing down a firearm that required pulling the trigger for disassembly - Ehh, I suppose in the end it still comes down to the person handling the weapon to ensure safety.........glad it wasn't worse. TNX for posting the story - good reminder for everyone to be safe.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm sitting here debating with myself about the whole have to pull the trigger to disassemble the gun issue - which has been discussed repeatedly on more than 1 forum. I agree it is incumbent on all of us to make absolutely sure that the weapon we are handling is unloaded before working on it; however this certainly is not the first time something like this has happened. A few weeks ago on another site 3 stories from local newspapers were posted in the same day of someone having a ND while tearing down a firearm that required pulling the trigger for disassembly - Ehh, I suppose in the end it still comes down to the person handling the weapon to ensure safety.........glad it wasn't worse. TNX for posting the story - good reminder for everyone to be safe.

I showed the pictures to my wife as justification for the $610 I spent on my XDm. Since I didn't grow up with firearms (this is my 1st handgun), I knew that I needed some additional cards in my hand.

Point in a safe direction + don't touch the grip safety + don't touch the trigger + drop the mag + check the chamber indicator + check the striker indicator + engage the grip safety & lock the slide back + check the chamber visually + check the chamber with finger + check the chamber visually = cleared.

I'm overly cautious like that. I've never electrocuted or burned myself either...

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    The only thing I can think of is maybe a round got hun g up on the extractor some how, so when you closed the slide it was then chambered. Only thing I can come up with.

The mag sitting next to the gun in the drawer was actually a spare mag, which I didn't remember ever putting in there. There was another loaded mag in the gun the whole time. So while I didn't think there was a need to drop the mag before I checked the chamber (since I had already put "the mag" in my safe), in fact there was another loaded mag already in the gun. I very carefully checked the chamber before closing the slide, but I obviously chambered a round when I closed it. It was a great lesson that you can never ignore any given step in any safety procedure (in this case dropping the mag as the first step of unloading a gun) because it's "unnecessary."

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    The mag sitting next to the gun in the drawer was actually a spare mag, which I didn't remember ever putting in there. There was another loaded mag in the gun the whole time. So while I didn't think there was a need to drop the mag before I checked the chamber (since I had already put "the mag" in my safe), in fact there was another loaded mag already in the gun. I very carefully checked the chamber before closing the slide, but I obviously chambered a round when I closed it. It was a great lesson that you can never ignore any given step in any safety procedure (in this case dropping the mag as the first step of unloading a gun) because it's "unnecessary."

LOL, dangit I was going to go with that, but you got me when you said you put the mag in the safe. I always when clearing my guns, check first that mag is out of the gun, lock slide back, check again that mag is out and then check the chamber both visually and with the finger check.

Thanks for sharing your story also, by the way do you have a link for that G30 holster, I hav'nt been able to find it on the internet.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Thanks to the OP for having the cajones to post about this. Hope your hand heals soon and well!

I'm not familiar with XD's. How do you go about disassembling one, assuming that you know that there is a round chambered? Seems a little odd that you have to pull the trigger to take it apart...but again I don't know anything about them so I'm probably missing something.

The way the XD is field stripped is as follows:

1. Drop the slide.

2. Extract the chambered round.

3. Lock the slide back.

4. Flip the takedown lever up.

5. Pull the trigger.

6. Release the slide (while holding it or it will fly off the end) & slide it off.

I'm wondering that myself.

Looking at the above steps I don't see any way that you can drop the striker on a chambered round or on a round that is held against the firing pin. I would think if you did that (if it was possible) you would hve damaged the gun by having the round go off inside the open ejection port.

I just don't see how it's possible.

That & I don't see all that damage being done by the gasses from the ejection port (there shouldn't be that much pressure there) or from the slide cycling. I've heard you can grab the slide & keep from cycling, as in a defense scenario to disable the gun for the second shot. I guess it hurts like heck but nothing was mentioned about the devastating damage as was shown your pictures. I've never done it myself, I've just heard from somewhat reputable SD instructors.

Are you sure you didn't shoot yourself by pulling the trigger on a chambered round?

Inquiring minds want to know.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My Taurus requires the trigger to be pulled to allow the slide to come off. I think a lot of striker fired pistols (as opposed to hammer fired) are this way. After reading this I'm going to quadruple check nothing is in it, including a mag.

Typically when I dissamble it for cleaning, I drop the mag, extract the "+1" and lay both next to me on the table. That way they are in plain sight and accounted for.

Hope the hand get better! Looks like that is gonna take while to heal up. I'm guessing you're on some good antiboitics as well to help fight infection in that open wound.

Top Bottom