• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I don't buy any of this. Since almost every gas station accepts credit cards the vehicles can be fueled with nobody at the gas station. Ever been to one after hours when there is no attendant and gotten fuel? Plus these services typically fuel their vehicles at their yards and not at a station. Also, if the KFC worker did not go out and the store was closed, the emergency workers would either not eat or pack food to take with them from their house. I don't buy that those places HAVE TO BE OPEN.

I don't know. With the amount of business they have while they are open I think a lot of people would disagree with you, they plan on those places being open during the worst of it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Are you sure? They operate as a farm, farms are exempt from a lot of taxes. Even if not, is property tax not part of doing business? Did they get an abatement? Did they get an added exit ramp from the state at their place of business where there was not previously one?

I don't know if they got an abatement, but there is a new entrance/exit for I-65 that was put in because of their operation. I am not sure what they are classified as---farm, tourism??? They have migrant housing on their property and so workers getting there probably wasn't a real issue since they have many living on site. It is a HUGE operation. They have a very large veal operation not far from my parents' house with all of the male calves born at their tourist attraction.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I don't know. With the amount of business they have while they are open I think a lot of people would disagree with you, they plan on those places being open during the worst of it.

Because they have to be open? I think if they were not open then they would have an alternative plan, like pack a sandwich (or three) and take with them.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Because they have to be open? I think if they were not open then they would have an alternative plan, like pack a sandwich (or three) and take with them.

Yeah, cause that is what most people do these days. Shut them down and everyone would be in an uproar because most people live for today, not for what they might need tomorrow.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Yeah, cause that is what most people do these days. Shut them down and everyone would be in an uproar because most people live for today, not for what they might need tomorrow.

I imagine it won't be long and we will see this addressed. At the press conference on Monday the Mayor of Indianapolis said they have had numerous people asking what they are to do when their employer is requiring them to come to work or be fired during the level red emergency. He didn't have a good answer during the press conference, but I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of labor law was instituted to keep employers from threating this and that if they do fire someone that some sort of fine be imposed. I could be wrong, but wouldn't surprise me at all.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I know this was directed at Actaeon but I have a few questions.

Since almost every gas station accepts credit cards the vehicles can be fueled with nobody at the gas station.

How does the gas get to the gas station? How about the electricity that runs the pumps at the gas station? The electricity that powers the card reader?

Ever been to one after hours when there is no attendant and gotten fuel?

I haven't done this. I didn't know it was an option.

Plus these services typically fuel their vehicles at their yards and not at a station.

How does the gas get to their yards? What about the non-typical, small towns that fuel up at local gas station?

Also, if the KFC worker did not go out and the store was closed, the emergency workers would either not eat ...

Seriously? Like not eat for how long ... couple hours? ... ever? As an emergency worker, I would like to know how long you expect me to go without eating.

... or pack food to take with them from their house.

Where does the food come from?

ADDED ... These are legitimate questions. Not picking a fight. Just curious about your responses.

Last edited:

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    How does the gas get to the gas station? How about the electricity that runs the pumps at the gas station? The electricity that powers the card reader?

I am sure your smart enough to know how gas gets to a gas and electricity get there.

I haven't done this. I didn't know it was an option.

Sure is.

How does the gas get to their yards? What about the non-typical, small towns that fuel up at local gas station?

How much fuel do you think was used during the 48 hours by emergency vehicles? Most have a large underground tank like a gas station. I bet they can go several days without running out.

Seriously? Like not eat for how long ... couple hours? ... ever? As an emergency worker, I would like to know how long you expect me to go without eating.

Good lord, are you that dependent on fast food? Ever been camping for several days and not been out to eat? Don't know how to pack a lunch box or cooler and take stuff with you.

Where does the food come from?

That's right, the storm popped up out for nowhere and nobody new it was coming like 5 or so days before it got here where they could prepare and have the food on hand when the storm got here.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I am sure your smart enough to know how gas gets to a gas and electricity get there.

Sure is.

How much fuel do you think was used during the 48 hours by emergency vehicles? Most have a large underground tank like a gas station. I bet they can go several days without running out.

Good lord, are you that dependent on fast food? Ever been camping for several days and not been out to eat? Don't know how to pack a lunch box or cooler and take stuff with you.

That's right, the storm popped up out for nowhere and nobody new it was coming like 5 or so days before it got here where they could prepare and have the food on hand when the storm got here.

I don't think you know how that stuff gets there. The electrical power plant needs workers there. Are they supposed to work 48 hours, outside in many cases, with out a break?

How much fuel was used, pushing around piles of snow and rescuing cars/people/????? A LOT OF GAS.

Pack a lunch????
    REALLY.
    Those guys are working ALL DAY. 24 and 32 hours.
    I had worked a 33 hour shift. Silly me for not planning on that.

Most gas stations will not pump, without the attendant there. Lights are off, no pump.

Have you been an emergency worker?
    Have you fed them or gassed them?
    Doesn't sound like it.

I'm not an emergency worker, but I know Wild Deuce is.
    Nice of you to tell him his job.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sounds like a large facility.
    Why exactly did the choose the location they are at?
    Did Indiana offer them the best deal?
    Was it location?
    Do you think they are going to pack up and leave?

Are they making money? Must be since they are still there.

Your probably right, but apparently its not been that big of issue since heads have not rolled yet.

So you believe snow removal qualifies as maintenance of roads. What would you do if you lived in a state like Kansas or Colorado? They close the interstate often enough they have permanent gates they can shut and lock to keep people from entering the highway.

Well they decided not to perform their jobs (in your opinion) when they closed 65 and stopped plowing, so demand away. If you get enough people to support your view I imagine we will see a new representative for your district.

You might say it's large. It occupies 22 square miles.
    It was built in 1900.
    And they built AN ENTIRE CITY TO SUPPORT IT.
    You might have heard of the city.
    Gary.

And yes, they have been in talks to leave.
    They have closed SEVERAL OTHER FACILITIES.
    Great, hey, let's just throw my job away. Over 10,000 people when you figure employees, bosses, contractors, emergency on site personal, etc.
    That doesn't even include the hotel workers, food workers, shopping malls and stuff that the workers buy, and no longer would be able to afford.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well they decided not to perform their jobs (in your opinion) when they closed 65 and stopped plowing, so demand away. If you get enough people to support your view I imagine we will see a new representative for your district.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.
    Pete Visclosky is a Democrat.
    Like he's going to lose up here.
    That was funny.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Boo

20140105_125823_zps034ff583.jpg

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Our infrastructure isn't ran by emergency workers.... It's ran by us....

Some of the larger cities have city works with a gas station and auto repair facilities but most towns don't have this option.

Most of these workers are going to show up to work and possibly bring a lunch.... now they get their lunch and get quite cranky when there isn't anything available to eat after a 14 hour shift which was suppose to be a 8 hour shift...

I know for a fact because of the road shut down there were a lot of gas stations in Dyer, merrillville, and a couple other cities that didn't have fuel to pump yesterday or today. With the opening of the roads this supply line will start to resupply again but these retailers are running on a just in time resupply in order to be profitable as a retailer...

Just saying....

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    PS: Pete isn't ever going to loose up here, he has all the dead voters voting for him, three or four times in some cases...

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I don't think you know how that stuff gets there. The electrical power plant needs workers there. Are they supposed to work 48 hours, outside in many cases, with out a break?

Utility services are exempt by IC to the travel warning.

How much fuel was used, pushing around piles of snow and rescuing cars/people/????? A LOT OF GAS.

Back to the root issue of why people should not be out, so their cars and themselves don't have to be rescued. Also why many roads were closed, because resource were being wasted attemping to clear a road that would blow back shut in minutes.

Pack a lunch????
    REALLY.
    Those guys are working ALL DAY. 24 and 32 hours.
    I had worked a 33 hour shift. Silly me for not planning on that.

Yeah, its a novel idea. I worked on a farm and worked many long shifts where the only thing I had to eat was what I took with me to the field.

Most gas stations will not pump, without the attendant there. Lights are off, no pump.

Been to several that do.

Have you been an emergency worker?
    Have you fed them or gassed them?
    Doesn't sound like it.

Never been an emergency worker. I pay taxes, so I guess I have probably fed and gassed them up. Is being an emergency worker a personal decision?

I'm not an emergency worker, but I know Wild Deuce is.
    Nice of you to tell him his job.

Didn't know Wild Deuce was (lots of people on INGO that I don't know what they do, actually pretty much everyone). Where did I tell him how to do his job? I do think its odd that the mayors and sheriffs were all over TV and radio telling people to stay home and they could be ticketed, but apparently some of the emergency workers expected fast food workers not to. So which is it? Stay home or go out to service us?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Utility services are exempt by IC to the travel warning.

Didn't know Wild Deuce was (lots of people on INGO that I don't know what they do, actually pretty much everyone). Where did I tell him how to do his job? I do think its odd that the mayors and sheriffs were all over TV and radio telling people to stay home and they could be ticketed, but apparently some of the emergency workers expected fast food workers not to. So which is it? Stay home or go out to service us?

I only saw an exemption for railroad workers in the Indiana Code, not for Utility. But I may have missed it.

Mayors and Sheriffs.
    The sheriffs I will at least say they were out doing their job.
    Well I assume they were.
    Cause I saw State and City cops, no sheriffs.

And mayors.
    Ha
    Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha.

I think one was here pulling a car out of a ditch. Really, I swear I saw him.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Landon, I ask your forgiveness.. I just remembered. Government officials have never NEVER never exceeded their authority, or made a bad decision.

Oh, there was that official on 105.5 FM that said you would NOT be ticketed or arrested. But what did he know. He was just trying to correct misinformation that had spread.
    (note he was not talking about I-65, that's run by the state)

Top Bottom