• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's a good thing we have the boss man to do our thinking for us.
    I so hate having to turn on my brain and use it.

I could swear I've lived through winters this bad before and lived.
    But I must be wrong. I must be dead.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    It's a good thing we have the boss man to do our thinking for us.
    I so hate having to turn on my brain and use it.

I could swear I've lived through winters this bad before and lived.
    But I must be wrong. I must be dead.

As I said before, if you don't like the law work to get it changed. I don't think complaining about it here on INGO is going to change it though. While I imagine you have survived just as bad or worse, many have not and that's probably why the law was established.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I had a reply all fired up that was full of sarcasm.
    I thought better of it and hit the pause button instead. I amended it to a point by point response. Now I'm thinking never mind, others are making the point.

I'll only add that my opinion is based on having lived and worked through more than a couple real world, large scale natural disasters (hurricanes) ... as a resident, as a resident/responder, and as a non-resident responder. My observations lead to me to the conclusion that very few, if any, persons could survive (or in the case of first responders, perform duties) in an environment devoid of outside help (from "non-essential persons") for an extended period of time. Even this event we are discussing had one example (Joe Citizen in snowmobile delivered a paramedic to a patient's house after the ambulance got stuck and on his way home helps rescue some fire personnel).

I will address this one ...

Never been an emergency worker. I pay taxes, so I guess I have probably fed and gassed them up. Is being an emergency worker a personal decision?

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think that tax payers buy our food for us when we are on shift. We have to pay for it ourselves. Cook the meals ourselves and reheat them ourselves ... twenty times in between responses. You are right, it's our choice and we wouldn't have it any other way.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Didn't know Wild Deuce was (lots of people on INGO that I don't know what they do, actually pretty much everyone). Where did I tell him how to do his job? I do think its odd that the mayors and sheriffs were all over TV and radio telling people to stay home and they could be ticketed, but apparently some of the emergency workers expected fast food workers not to. So which is it? Stay home or go out to service us?

I am sure your smart enough to know how gas gets to a gas and electricity get there.

Good lord, are you that dependent on fast food? Ever been camping for several days and not been out to eat? Don't know how to pack a lunch box or cooler and take stuff with you.

That's right, the storm popped up out for nowhere and nobody new it was coming like 5 or so days before it got here where they could prepare and have the food on hand when the storm got here.

Guy has to work a 24 hour shift, then he goes home for 8. But, there's travel time, so he can't sleep for 8. And, better not get fast food, it's bad. So he'll cook a meal, hopefully enough for leftovers.

Cause I don't know about you, but every 8 hours of work, I try to scarf some food down, and I assume he does also.
    Especially in this weather when your body is using energy to create body heat.

So, maybe he'll get 5 hours sleep.
    Then go back out for another 24 hours??????

You're right, you aren't telling him how to do his job. You're telling him to get less sleep, and how to eat.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    He was displeased with me and even said he knew they were flat when he rolled out that morning. He needed his a$$ kicked and his rig was junk.

This asswipe needs to lose his CDL before he ends up killing someone!

Not knowing is one thing, completely not caring and being negligent is another.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    If the situation is that serious then they should be properly prepared. They surely had to have the foresight that someday there may be a situation where trucks or workers may not be able to make it to work. They can either prepare for that circumstance and build storage facilities and living quarters for workers onsite for those situations or risk the loss of milk or animals.

Some observations:

1) These people are from California (nice climate).
    2) Ever talked to many rich people... a lot are not to educated in the common sense area. Especially, being a transplant from a different climate.
    3) I know for a fact they were not prepared for IN's climate conditions. Cause they had no clue they'd have a problem with getting rid of the crap, till it was piling up. They could spead it in Cali all year around. IN doesn't offer this and they had no idea how to address the issue at first.
    4) Snow... they didn't have this to deal with either. So this isn't something they'd likely have thought about either.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    The experienced responders know that it's a mess, but can't help the conditions. If you are a mobile responder, forget fast food options. Lunch box is your answer. If people thought to stay home and prepare a little, you wouldn't have drivers on the roads for a McDonalds run. If you are fortunate to be a fixed site worker, you also grabbed a couple cans of soup or chili, some snacks and some beverages in your lunch cooler. Those weather channels cover storms all the time, be a little vigilant. If the Weather was wrong, no storm? guess the extra preps go in the cupboard till needed.

Tickets for being on the road bring an intimidation factor. Nuts in 4 wheelers will still be blazing through road blockades. I saw the clips on those guys on Ch 5/7 news. They need the ticket. Not the family guy or girl trying to get home after the greedy bosses wouldn't shut down due to the storm.

If you can afford to have your vehicle towed, be hospitalized, or plain dead, go run around in your Super Duty 4x4, tailgate people doing 15 mph, and blame them for impeding your Dunkin Donuts coffee run. Satellite cameras should allow the ticket to be sent to your 4G cell phone while texting your girlfriend during your driving.

For bosses: Shame on you for forcing your most important assets(your employees) to cover your business while you are comfy at home, wearing your flannel sleep pants and Crocs and complaining about 36in snow drifts to drive through. Count your money, if an employee dies trying to get to your store, hope you rot in your sleep.

For those who called their co workers, and said " hey it's bad, chill out, and I'll let you know when to return", God Bless. You will be a Saint! Is it Empathy? Common sense.

Note: I understand if you are at work, tired, want to go home. If you have heat, some extra lunch, even a 10 minute break can make a difference to you staying put till the worst is over. You are alive.

It was a mess.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/indy-gun-safety/328194-emergency-shelter-transportation.html

Guess this guy should get a ticket for violating the no travel order.

The nerve of that guy, running people to heating centers

Well no. Emergency transportation falls under the classification of emergency management, which travel is allowed during a warning.

IC 10-14-3-2
    "Emergency management"
    Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "emergency management" means the preparation for and the coordination of all emergency functions, other than functions for which military forces or other federal agencies are primarily responsible, to prevent, minimize, and repair injury and damage resulting from disasters. The functions include the following:
    (1) Firefighting services.
    (2) Police services.
    (3) Medical and health services.
    (4) Rescue.
    (5) Engineering.
    (6) Warning services.
    (7) Communications.
    (8) Radiological, chemical, and other special weapons defense.
    (9) Evacuation of persons from stricken areas.
    (10) Emergency welfare services.
    (11) Emergency transportation.
    (12) Plant protection.
    (13) Temporary restoration of public utility services.
    (14) Other functions related to civilian protection.
    (15) All other activities necessary or incidental to the preparation for and coordination of the functions described in subdivisions (1) through (14).

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I had a reply all fired up that was full of sarcasm.
    I thought better of it and hit the pause button instead. I amended it to a point by point response. Now I'm thinking never mind, others are making the point.

I'll only add that my opinion is based on having lived and worked through more than a couple real world, large scale natural disasters (hurricanes) ... as a resident, as a resident/responder, and as a non-resident responder. My observations lead to me to the conclusion that very few, if any, persons could survive (or in the case of first responders, perform duties) in an environment devoid of outside help (from "non-essential persons") for an extended period of time. Even this event we are discussing had one example (Joe Citizen in snowmobile delivered a paramedic to a patient's house after the ambulance got stuck and on his way home helps rescue some fire personnel).

Not sure being out on a snowmobile is in violation of the warning. Anyway, as the law is written Joe Citizen was helping with emergency transportation which is not a violation. I am not saying that emergency responders won't need the help from Joe Citizen as is the case you provided.

But I don't believe for a minute that they guy that thinks he has to have his Starbucks coffee so he goes out for it needs to be out because he can.

Nor do I believe that emergency responders don't have the ability to care for themselves without the local McDonalds being open. Emergency responders are typically highly trained individuals that know how to deal with the situation and if that means packing food with them, then that's what they do.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think that tax payers buy our food for us when we are on shift. We have to pay for it ourselves. Cook the meals ourselves and reheat them ourselves ... twenty times in between responses. You are right, it's our choice and we wouldn't have it any other way.

I certainly did not mean to imply every meal you eat at work if funded by tax payers, but I'd be surprised if you've never had a meal funded off taxpayer dollars at a seminar or training event. And that's not a ****h, I have no problem with doing so. I am thankful for what you and others do for Joe Public.

Obviously the comment was not directed at you personally. He made it out that being an emergency worker was a burden on that person, I don't believe that's the case as its ones life decision and clearly your happy to do it. Long shifts and all is part of what one signs up for and as you said, they wouldn't have it any other way.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Some observations:

1) These people are from California (nice climate).
    2) Ever talked to many rich people... a lot are not to educated in the common sense area. Especially, being a transplant from a different climate.
    3) I know for a fact they were not prepared for IN's climate conditions. Cause they had no clue they'd have a problem with getting rid of the crap, till it was piling up. They could spead it in Cali all year around. IN doesn't offer this and they had no idea how to address the issue at first.
    4) Snow... they didn't have this to deal with either. So this isn't something they'd likely have thought about either.

You have made a very good point here. I live in Evansville and very rarely do we have that kind of snow. We are used to missing most of it when they say we are going to get it just like this past weekend. We got less than half an inch and had main roads icy for all of a day. 43 years of this and moving up north could very well catch me off guard and I have worked in Indy enough to know better.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I've got a question for all these people who think they have the right to take their chances when the conditions have been deemed too dangerous to drive. You say you're willing to be "on your own". If, while driving on roads that had been declared unsafe for passage, you were involved in an accident that involved vehicle or property damage, or caused injuries, would you cover all expenses out of pocket, or let the insurance companies pick up the tab?

IF my insurance wouldn't pick it up, I'd pay for what I had to and then turn around, find a new insurance company and sue the old one. I'm exempted and if they didn't cover me while I'm out there, their ass would be on the wire for whatever damage was caused. It's not negligence, it's my duty to be out there.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I don't buy any of this. Since almost every gas station accepts credit cards the vehicles can be fueled with nobody at the gas station. Ever been to one after hours when there is no attendant and gotten fuel? Plus these services typically fuel their vehicles at their yards and not at a station. Also, if the KFC worker did not go out and the store was closed, the emergency workers would either not eat or pack food to take with them from their house. I don't buy that those places HAVE TO BE OPEN.

Landon, I take it you've never done these jobs. Yes we have cards to fuel the vehicles at a GAS STATION. Yes, we can bring a lunch, but I worked and I ran all day. I worked 24 hours and only had 4-5 hours off. Those 4-5 hours were spent sleeping. It would have been GREAT to be able to eat, but since everything was closed and we were on the road all day, we didn't get to eat. They don't HAVE to be open, you're correct, but it's very convenient on horrible days like that.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Nor do I believe that emergency responders don't have the ability to care for themselves without the local McDonalds being open. Emergency responders are typically highly trained individuals that know how to deal with the situation and if that means packing food with them, then that's what they do.

SOME emergency responders are highly trained in THEIR areas of specialty. MOST are not trained in stuff that falls outside of their areas of specialty.

An uphill battle I fight in training and working with them all of the time. Very few I have ever met are prepared to be on shift on their own for 24 hours. Even in services that still have 24 hour shifts (primarily EMS), most crews I know rely on the ability to go get food somewhere during shift. I was an anomaly in that I started every shift ready to live out of the unit for 3 days. Paid off a couple of times too.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I worked 48 hours straight during this last storm... went to work sunday morning at 8 am, and got off Tuesday morning at 8 am. I was fully prepared for the entire shift. and NO, taxpayers did not pay for my food, and no, we did not rely on a gas station for our fuel. We could have, but we also had unmanned city pumps we could have gone to if we needed to fuel and the stations were closed, or out of fuel as many were.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'm too poor to live on my own for 3 days out of an ambulance. I'm so poor that Landon pays for my meals.

Typically, I bring food, but if I'm stuck on the truck all day, we don't have microwaves on the truck. So I'm stuck with cold food. Sandwiches aren't substantial enough to constitute a "meal" to keep me running all day. I need a meal, not a damn sammich.

Even if we cook meals at work, whether private service or 911, we have to go to the store to buy stuff to cook. So since the stores were closed, we couldn't even grab food to cook. But what do I know, I've only been doing this for a year.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis
    Top Bottom