• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    You can ride a bicycle or a scooter on most of them without any permission slip from the state but once you put a bigger motor on that bicycle or scooter suddenly you need permission.

That's because suddenly you're more likely to kill somebody if you're doing it wrong.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    That's because suddenly you're more likely to kill somebody if you're doing it wrong.

Really? So if I put 100cc motor on a scooter instead of the 50cc motor I am more likely to kill someone and therefor need a license to drive on the same road? That is kinda like saying I need a license to carry because suddenly I am more likely to kill someone isn't it?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Really? So if I put 100cc motor on a scooter instead of the 50cc motor I am more likely to kill someone and therefor need a license to drive on the same road? That is kinda like saying I need a license to carry because suddenly I am more likely to kill someone isn't it?

My bad. I actually misread your original statement.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I've always had a problem with that too. We have plenty of dirtbags riding scooters around here that list their license for ovwi. So, my question has always been,"when they cause a wreck do they have insurance to cover the damages to my vehicle and/or body?" Funny they can't drive a car or certain sized two wheeled mode of transportation, but it's ok when the engine is smaller. Is on a ride along and we stopped a guy that was drunk who had lost his license two months earlier for ovwi. How is it ok for him to be on a public road BC he is on a scooter/moped.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am not arguing that. The bottom of the ramp does make more sense, but I wasn't there and maybe there was reason he was further up the ramp.

It doesn't much matter whats reported by media. The Indiana Code is the law and its each persons responsibility to be informed and know the laws. By no means am I saying I have read it and know all the laws, but as I said earlier ignorance is not a justifiable excuse in the eyes of the law.

I know that this is how it rolls in court, but honestly, this was a realistic argument in the 'good old days' when following the Ten Commandments and paying your taxes would prevent you from having a hostile encounter with the criminal justice system. As it is, there is a law covering everything but which hand you use to unzip before taking a leak.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    It seems to me that there might be a very slight distinction between dealing with a road which is flooded and effectively declaring every citizen under house arrest.

Road closed means road closed. I'm sure the guy that drove into the water (had to go around barricades) felt he knew more about his abilities than the state, the same excuse used by those that had to get out monday. Now people have been searching for his wife for 1 1/2 weeks.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Well it seems that we are all privileged to be allowed on the gov's roadways, maybe we should just follow such a declaration next time... They close all streets in a county then go home... Close all the restaurants, gas stations, repair shops, retail stores, etc.... and call 911 when the heat goes out or a water pipe freezes, or you run out of medications or food, or you can't keep yourself warm because something unforeseen stopped working during the incident... Then if they can send someone to pick you up and deliver you to a warming center and feed you and take care of your medical condition and house you for the duration as your home was unfit to stay in till you got a HVAC guy out to fix the furnace they will have felt some of their authority... The next thing that would happen would be your filing with your insurance company for damages to your home while you were whisked away for your own safety rather than having the furnace fixed or getting additional fuel for the furnace etc.... PS: where would all these rescue workers and essential people be getting their food and medicines and fuel if everything was closed ? I'm in, I could use a new house, not sure if the insurance company would like that though... Also I guess since I would loose my job over the emergency and the company that I worked for would quite possibly get closed up.... I guess I could just be on unemployment for a outrageous period of time...

This is what happens when we just shut down a county.... I'm not saying that it is safe to travel but if we don't keep our infrastructure intact even in such conditions as this last couple days we won't have that infastructure... Just saying....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Oh relax.

At age 42, I've seen this kind of thing- state of emergency, highways closed, etc., maybe 3 or 4 times in my life and the "or 4" is just tossed in for fun. I actually remember 3 (1978, 1998, 2014). So the counties shut down some roads and ticketed people for being out after the order was issued (hours and hours and hours after the order). This does not constitute a police state and no amount of outlandish paranoia will make it so.

Back in March of '98 a lot of people got caught out on 80/94 and other highways and it didn't take 18 to 24 hours to clear it, it took 4 days because cars were everywhere and had to be moved before the snow could be cleared. Cry me a river that you can't read a weather forecast and prepare ahead of time to hunker down for a day or 2 so the county can actually clear roads rather than spend days rescuing the adventurous or reckless, then having to pull cars out of the way in order to plow. Maybe Playstations and XBoxes should put weather forecasts up between levels. Take a glance at local channels every once in a while rather than re-runs of Doomsday Preppers.

So, once every 10 or 20 years, the county wants everyone off the road so it can deal with a problem. I'm not so arrogant as to take it personally. Nor do I take it as desensitization....because it is not.

Tinfoil hats are poor winter gear. Take a deep breath and try being a member of a society once every decade or so.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    There goes the tinfoil hat statement.... I never liked those because every time you get near the CB or Ham radio it seems to get real warm in there....

I'm not upset at all actually, never thought it was safe to leave the house during this mess and so I didn't, but I don't think it is proper to write a person that decided to leave their house a ticket and further steal money from them because they felt they had to go some where....

Too work, for stuff they should have gotten before the storm, for UN-forseen repairs, whatever the reason... it's their decision and their problem...

Just saying...

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Shibumiseeker, I would be fine with that... There is a direct connection between the individual exercising their right to decide if they should be out in it and the result of their action... therefore costs...

In 100% agreement...

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Every time I hear people start talking about, "the roads are closed and if you get caught on them you'll get a ticket" I laugh out loud. I am a grown man, I know my driving abilities, I know my truck and I can see what the weather has or has not done to the roads.
    I have never let travel warnings, state of emergencies or road closings (whatever you want to call them) stop me from going to work, going to the store or in the case of Monday, going to get gas in my truck and pick up some donuts for the family. I have never gotten myself or anyone else in trouble. I have never impeded anyone doing THEIR job nor have I ever gotten a ticket.
    From the OP it sounds like the cop was trying to "enforce" a law that he doesn't even fully understand. Did he ever ask the OP if he happened to have one of the so called "exempt" professions? This in itself is so laughable. Do the employers of these exempt professions put them through some sort of special driver's training so that they can handle the road conditions. Heck, if that is what is required, I have been trained to drive a vehicle blacked out using night vision. I have been through vehicle roll over training where they actually roll the vehicle over!
    OP, hopefully you can take the time off from work and go to court and get this nonsense thrown out, as it should be. If the officer doesn't show, it is a slam dunk, if he does, school his a$$

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Would like to know the company who did this... that's complete BS and I would like to steer clear from their operations.

I was going to post the company, but apparently the DM got word of what happened and contacted my friend's daughter. As of now that is all I know..

Top Bottom