• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Road closed means road closed. I'm sure the guy that drove into the water (had to go around barricades) felt he knew more about his abilities than the state, the same excuse used by those that had to get out monday. Now people have been searching for his wife for 1 1/2 weeks.

Necessity is the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves. I am also sure that the water guy has learned no end of a lesson about personal responsibility. We don't need any government in the business of dictating our decision by virtue of what is 'for our own good'. Yielding to that argument does as much damage to the republic as yielding to 'it's for the children'.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    chicken-fried-bacon.jpg

How about chicken fried bacon with your choice of gravy? Cream gravy or sausage gravy...I'm going with the sausage gravy.

JfuPmhB.jpg

Dupe :D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh relax.

At age 42, I've seen this kind of thing- state of emergency, highways closed, etc., maybe 3 or 4 times in my life and the "or 4" is just tossed in for fun. I actually remember 3 (1978, 1998, 2014). So the counties shut down some roads and ticketed people for being out after the order was issued (hours and hours and hours after the order). This does not constitute a police state and no amount of outlandish paranoia will make it so.

Back in March of '98 a lot of people got caught out on 80/94 and other highways and it didn't take 18 to 24 hours to clear it, it took 4 days because cars were everywhere and had to be moved before the snow could be cleared. Cry me a river that you can't read a weather forecast and prepare ahead of time to hunker down for a day or 2 so the county can actually clear roads rather than spend days rescuing the adventurous or reckless, then having to pull cars out of the way in order to plow. Maybe Playstations and XBoxes should put weather forecasts up between levels. Take a glance at local channels every once in a while rather than re-runs of Doomsday Preppers.

So, once every 10 or 20 years, the county wants everyone off the road so it can deal with a problem. I'm not so arrogant as to take it personally. Nor do I take it as desensitization....because it is not.

Tinfoil hats are poor winter gear. Take a deep breath and try being a member of a society once every decade or so.

I actually remember 3 (1978, 1998, 2014
    Congrats, so do I

it took 4 days because cars were everywhere
    And the difference between not using the road because it's closed 4 days, and not using the road because of stuck cars for 4 days?

Cry me a river that you can't read a weather forecast and prepare
    I can, and I do. That is why I'm prepared.

having to pull cars out of the way
    As opposed to being a good citizen and helping pull out stuck emergency people.
    Guess I should be a good citizen and leave them in the ditch.

If you don't want to, or can't, travel, then don't. I don't go out in stuff like that if I don't have to. But, I do have to, to keep my job. And sometimes I do, because a next door neighbor needs something like medicine, and I'd rather take the chance than some retired person in a 2wd.
    I tent camp in this weather. I have enough crap in a storage container to supply myself in an emergency. What is your problem?
    Cause I might get stuck?
    If I help 10 people get unstuck, and I get stuck, isn't that a net effect of 9 people getting unstuck?

Punish the unprepared.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh relax.

At age 42, I've seen this kind of thing- state of emergency, highways closed, etc., maybe 3 or 4 times in my life and the "or 4" is just tossed in for fun. I actually remember 3 (1978, 1998, 2014). So the counties shut down some roads and ticketed people for being out after the order was issued (hours and hours and hours after the order). This does not constitute a police state and no amount of outlandish paranoia will make it so.

Back in March of '98 a lot of people got caught out on 80/94 and other highways and it didn't take 18 to 24 hours to clear it, it took 4 days because cars were everywhere and had to be moved before the snow could be cleared. Cry me a river that you can't read a weather forecast and prepare ahead of time to hunker down for a day or 2 so the county can actually clear roads rather than spend days rescuing the adventurous or reckless, then having to pull cars out of the way in order to plow. Maybe Playstations and XBoxes should put weather forecasts up between levels. Take a glance at local channels every once in a while rather than re-runs of Doomsday Preppers.

So, once every 10 or 20 years, the county wants everyone off the road so it can deal with a problem. I'm not so arrogant as to take it personally. Nor do I take it as desensitization....because it is not.

Tinfoil hats are poor winter gear. Take a deep breath and try being a member of a society once every decade or so.

Tinfoil hats are poor winter gear
    Forgot this one.
    Cause you disagree with someone, they must be paranoid. Yup, sounds like a good argument.
    But tinfoil gets kinda cold.
    I prefer navy watch cap, desert scarf, and ski goggles.
    20140105_125823_zps034ff583.jpg

And I didn't notice the temperature. I like it.
    Now at the end of Feb. I may change my mind.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I made it to work just fine, in a tiny car. All but one employee made it in. Where I work we work every day, open even on Christmas so snow sure isn't stopping most of us. :) I love driving in snow, every major snow storm my wife and I go for a drive to enjoy the empty roads. Go slow and don't be dumb and you'll be fine.

We got our first awd vehicle this year and now we are truly unstoppable. We've never been stuck in the slightest so we must be doing something right, now with awd I admit it's much easier though.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Hamilton County sheriff on the Channel 8 news at 11pm.
    "We are ASKING people to stay off the roads and travel only to and from work and in emergency situations only"
    Hmmmm....
    I find it funny how many police and emergency vehicles the news has shown stuck in the ditches over the last 2-3 days. The roads are sooo hazardous that they pull every Dodge Charger and Crown Victoria from the police and issue them 4x4s .
    Lmao.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I was going to post the company, but apparently the DM got word of what happened and contacted my friend's daughter. As of now that is all I know..

Ok, keep us posted please.

Instead, maybe the AH lost his job (or title) for being stupid! :rockwoot:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Nothing enhances public safety like forcefully taking money from motorists who are trying to get to work.

Indeed so. This is the reason that most truck drivers aren't too fond of police. Most anything short of perfection in driving, paperwork, or equipment maintenance (including decorative lights which are not required to be on the truck) is a billable offense with fines higher than what most others are accustomed to paying.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Tinfoil hats are poor winter gear
    Forgot this one.
    Cause you disagree with someone, they must be paranoid. Yup, sounds like a good argument.
    But tinfoil gets kinda cold.
    I prefer navy watch cap, desert scarf, and ski goggles.
    20140105_125823_zps034ff583.jpg

And I didn't notice the temperature. I like it.
    Now at the end of Feb. I may change my mind.

I donned a shemagh and plenty of layers to do some digging out (wearing shorts and Under Armour cold gear base layer pants). Came inside and I was warm enough to change out of the Under Armour and lose the layers. It isn't too hard to stay warm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Indeed so. This is the reason that most truck drivers aren't too fond of police. Most anything short of perfection in driving, paperwork, or equipment maintenance (including decorative lights which are not required to be on the truck) is a billable offense with fines higher than what most others are accustomed to paying.

Revenue stream. There are those who need to be cited for obvious violations. I have been next to a rig that is running on 1 or more flat tires and had one come un-glued. The pieces tore the passenger side miror off of my van. It took me a few miles to get the butthead driver to pull over. He was displeased with me and even said he knew they were flat when he rolled out that morning. He needed his a$$ kicked and his rig was junk.
    This incident aside I know truckers are hounded by authority's for the revenue.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Oh relax.

I remember a certain former sheriff who declared all roads closed any time it snowed enough you could tell that it had snowed.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I remember a certain former sheriff who declared all roads closed any time it snowed enough you could tell that it had snowed.

Take off the tin foil bro. We must all act in accordance with the good of the collective. Our government knows what's best. Repeat after me. Our government knows what's best. We must obey our government.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Just read this and remember people talking of economics of this earlier...found this part of article amazing.

Fair Oaks Farms' dairy trucks were left stranded in northern Indiana, Indianapolis, Kentucky and Michigan after treacherous conditions forced the closure of I-65 and Interstate 94 on Sunday and Monday. I-65 reopened Tuesday morning.

Meanwhile, the dairy cooperative's 35,000 cows didn't stop producing milk on Fair Oaks' 10 member farms.

"The loss is substantial in the case of Fair Oaks Farms," Mike McCloskey, chairman of the board, told the Journal & Courier.

"We don't stop milking. Unfortunately, we have to let the milk go down the drain because capacity for storage on the dairy farm is full. Because the trucks can't come back to pick up the milk, we don't have a choice but to continue to milk the cows — because they need to be milked."

The company is taking between a $400,000 or $500,000 loss each day for milk that doesn't make it to the marketplace, McCloskey said.

"We're dealing with a quarter of a million gallons a day that will be lost," McCloskey said. "Maybe a little more if things don't get a little better."

​That is a lot of milk and money!

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Sounds like Fair Oaks should do some better planning. I bet they could build a dang nice storage facility on their property for the money they claim to have lost over a couple of days.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    And then get to pay even more taxes on the equipment investment! yay!

Can you say TAX ABATEMENT??? Every company that moves in to an area seems to get tax abatement for x number of years. When that ends, they pack up and move out leaving an empty building behind.

Top Bottom