• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I, for one, don't expect perfection. I would have been happy with the officer backing off if he didn't have a clean shot and setting up a better situation with additional assistance. I would have much more understanding with something not working out (i.e., the BG killing the hostage) while the officer was doing something constructive rather than opening fire without a clear shot. A siege may or may not have a better outcome, but likely no worst than shooting the hostage in the beginning.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I, for one, don't expect perfection. I would have been happy with the officer backing off if he didn't have a clean shot and setting up a better situation with additional assistance. I would have much more understanding with something not working out (i.e., the BG killing the hostage) while the officer was doing something constructive rather than opening fire without a clear shot. A siege may or may not have a better outcome, but likely no worst than shooting the hostage in the beginning.

Its have hard to know if he could back off. No diagram, measurements, photos, or anything.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not so sure that should be purple. It would be hard to get much worse than dead.

Everything in life is a gamble.
    There are no sure things.
    So you would have to do the odds on an actor in a hostage situation,
    or a police officer in a hostage situation.

Some actors might be better, but I'm thinking the odds wouldn't be in favor of the actor in a hostage situation.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Absolutely unreal of how many guys come on here and act like they know what the heck they are talking about. In any ideal situation no one dies much less an innocent person. It appears the officer did what he though he had to do to save his life as well as the hostage. It don't get any more tragic than this. Sometimes you can do your best and it turns out wrong. It is the nature of the beast in dealing with armed criminals.

It would sure be nice if people that "think" they know would just be quite for once, and we all know who I am referring to and so does he since he seems to be suddenly absent.

FWIW I saw on FOX news where they said this officer is inconsolable. I can't even began to imagine.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

Agreed.

I can't imagine that in review of this situation, that the conclusion would be that this officer's actions were the best course to follow.

That being said, the officer probably had about 2 seconds to decide what to do. I feel sorry for all involved, but it won't hurt my feeling or sensibility if the cop was cleared of any wrong doing.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    *I would have much more understanding with something not working out (i.e., the BG killing the hostage) while the officer was doing something constructive rather than opening fire without a clear shot.

My ass. The same people that are vilifying the officer for opening fire would sure as **** have the same reaction had he just "retreated and left her there to die."

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    My ass. The same people that are vilifying the officer for opening fire would sure as **** have the same reaction had he just "retreated and left her there to die."
    Sure as Hell......
    It must be great to be an all knowing "J.A.G. of INGO" and have the luxury of taking your sweet ass time deciding if the Officer in this, or ANY other situation, made the "right" move.
    Especially since the facts haven't been fully divulged yet..

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    The Rule of INGO seems to be that whether the officers act, or don't act, they're wrong.

For a counterpoint, just think of the criticism of the police at Columbine, for not entering the school immediately and engaging the gunmen.

Hindsight is sooo 20/20.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The Rule of INGO seems to be that whether the officers act, or don't act, they're wrong.

For a counterpoint, just think of the criticism of the police at Columbine, for not entering the school immediately and engaging the gunmen.

Hindsight is sooo 20/20.

Unfortunately the average patrol officer/deputy/trooper didn't receive "active shooter" training until after Columbine. Before then the SOP was to contain and wait for SWAT.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I've played thousands upon thousands of hours of Call of Duty and have never killed a hostage.

So I consider myself somewhat an expert on the subject.

Please teach me your ways, sensei. The last time I was faced with a hostage situation, the airstrike I called in was a little too effective. Also, I need to know if I should ninja roll before I fire, or say something witty.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Please teach me your ways, sensei. The last time I was faced with a hostage situation, the airstrike I called in was a little too effective. Also, I need to know if I should ninja roll before I fire, or say something witty.

"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez, aka The Rat.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom