• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What make a pistol the coolest?

Where the pistol lands on the competition score sheet?

Highest percentage of the pistol brand carried by LEO and private gun carrying professionals?

Just askin'? :)

:scratch:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Highest percentage of the pistol brand carried by LEO and private gun carrying professionals?

Coolest? Probably it's place in pop culture and/or if it gives you the tinglies in your giblets. Pre-lock N-frames check both boxes for me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2024
    Evansville
    I thought I would resurrect this thread because I have always been a Glock hater. I admit it's mostly been because of looks, feel, etc... I like cool stuff, what can I say? I think Glocks are basic, boring and just the ugliest damn things this side of Hi-Point. Plus hearing consistent negative feedback about sights, triggers, etc. gave me more reasons to dismiss them. Mostly because of those things, I've never even shot one, despite my brother (who's a career-long Glock-carrying LEO) recommending I give them a try. Well, that changed this week.

I picked up a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS in a trade recently and it's actually not the first one I've owned, but I threw a red dot on it and finally decided just to go shoot it. I grew up shooting rifles and shotguns, but never shot handguns until a few years ago. I've generally hated shooting them and kinda sucked at it, tbh. I can land shots on a target and all, but no matter which handgun I've tried, consistency has been a struggle. So I took the Glock 19 and 150 rounds of ammo to the range this week.

As much as I hate to admit it, once I got the red dot sighted in, I was more consistent with the Glock than almost any of the other handguns I've owned over the past few years. Yes, I see what everyone means about the trigger... but when I can land all 15 rounds in a 5" target magazine after magazine (pretty good for me), who cares?!

So, I still think it's basic and boring... but Glocks got a little less ugly to me this week. As I've heard others say before me, I now see that they just work. The fact that I shoot it better than pretty much anything else, that's kind of important! So, I actually think I'm going to make this thing my EDC for the time being. Life lesson learned and this one will not be showing up in the classifieds!
    I think the “beauty” lies in its simplicity and its reliability. And yes they are very barebones basic BUT they provide a fantastic base to build up from. Other pistols are catching up and coming along with more features and better features but mostly all of them took notes from Glock. So we can thank Glock for making the polymer pistol market what it is today.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.

Coolest has to be the Gucci pistols done up by the big names like Taran Tactical and such, LEO's have to carry what the low bidder was for their department. What is a private gun carrying professional? Biggest selection would be the everyday person carries concealed. Problems rise with that group as if they are like me how they dress determines what they carry, I don't see many people carrying a full size pistol when they are wearing summer clothes. I can carry a 2011 full size during the winter but that is going to stick out like a sore thumb come July. I like to carry a 1911 by Les Bauer but some days a Smith & Wesson 642 just works better. I have a couple of 2011's that are commander size that work in bad areas but then I am limited to what I wear. Not much of the plastic staple gun fan but they have really made strides for the average user to carry with confidence. People that don't train enough the staple guns work for them as they have no safeties to operate or things like hammers to interfere with their draw from concealment. Things like magazines have improved making them more reliable with testing. When I was a peon in a state that made you take a test to get your CCP a buddy told the instructor he loved the 1911 but would never carry one as it was too difficult to operate the safeties, then pointed to me and as a person who grew up with God's pistol never had a problem with it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Coolest has to be the Gucci pistols done up by the big names like Taran Tactical and such, LEO's have to carry what the low bidder was for their department. What is a private gun carrying professional? Biggest selection would be the everyday person carries concealed. Problems rise with that group as if they are like me how they dress determines what they carry, I don't see many people carrying a full size pistol when they are wearing summer clothes. I can carry a 2011 full size during the winter but that is going to stick out like a sore thumb come July. I like to carry a 1911 by Les Bauer but some days a Smith & Wesson 642 just works better. I have a couple of 2011's that are commander size that work in bad areas but then I am limited to what I wear. Not much of the plastic staple gun fan but they have really made strides for the average user to carry with confidence. People that don't train enough the staple guns work for them as they have no safeties to operate or things like hammers to interfere with their draw from concealment. Things like magazines have improved making them more reliable with testing. When I was a peon in a state that made you take a test to get your CCP a buddy told the instructor he loved the 1911 but would never carry one as it was too difficult to operate the safeties, then pointed to me and as a person who grew up with God's pistol never had a problem with it.

I carried a full sized 1911 for years, with double mag carrier on opposite side for ballance.

I agree that you can certainly train to consistently use a 1911 thumb safety. I would warn you though that a rotation of carry guns gets in the way of the muscle memory needed to be 100%. It happened to me when we ran airsift Glocks in FOF class for half of the day, then switched to live carry pistols at the range. Under time pressure, first draw with 1911, guess what I missed?

I carry whenever I'm awake. In shorts with button down or Tshirt. Be it around the property work, fishing, running a shovel, or going to town, it doesn't matter, same carry pistol platform. I've never had a problem concealing the pistol, but I do dress around it VS picking a pistol to stash where clothing would allow.

I switched to the G19/G45, with mags, when terrorism became real news a dozen years ago. Doubling my on the belt ammo carry of modern self defense 9mm HPs was and is the way to go against a threat likely carrying the same, or worse yet a long gun.

:twocents:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Coolest has to be the Gucci pistols done up by the big names like Taran Tactical and such, LEO's have to carry what the low bidder was for their department.

Each to their own, but those tarted up pistols are the opposite of cool to me.

There's no way anyone thinks the P227 was the lowest bid option for ISP, is there?

LE pistols are generally selected via either T&E then taking bids on the winning pistol or because someone in charge of procurement thought X was really cool so we're buying X. The larger the entity, the more likely to skew towards the first, IMO.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ask all you want. they are still fugly.

Eye of the beholder...

The looks of Glocks kind of grow on Glock carriers. We often judge other pistol brand carriers of whether or not they may or may not know their equipment beyond the "cool" looks?

:n00b:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...LE pistols are generally selected via either T&E then taking bids on the winning pistol or because someone in charge of procurement thought X was really cool so we're buying X. The larger the entity, the more likely to skew towards the first, IMO.

What are your thoughts on the the state of Indiana standardizing ALL state law enforcement pistols, buying a very large procurement, priced accordingly? All departments, large and small, as well as all quartermasters, armorers, trainers, etc. could then be standardized, saving even more taxpayer dollars while the obvious compatibility among LEO would be beneficial?

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The only glock that is even remotely kinda cool, is the Glock 17L, its so long its kinda ridiculously cool looking.
    Yeah I actually like the look of my long G34 too! Some 30 years ago or so I thought I would NEVER own a Glock and here in the last 10 years or so ended up with 4. The G34 and my little G42 are probably my Glock keepers.

My G43X MOS is one I most want to part with. Also have a silver slide G48 which I am undecided on keeping or selling.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What are your thoughts on the the state of Indiana standardizing ALL state law enforcement pistols, buying a very large procurement, priced accordingly? All departments, large and small, as well as all quartermasters, armorers, trainers, etc. could then be standardized, saving even more taxpayer dollars while the obvious compatibility among LEO would be beneficial?

Might help small departments, or maybe the logistics would be more expensive than the savings on a small number of pistols, not sure.

Add in not every department issues a firearm, some have a BYOG policy and an approved list of options.

Add in not every department only issues one type of pistol. Maybe a full size to uniformed, a compact to non-unformed, maybe they issue a BUG, maybe they don't.

Armorer training is *generally* thrown in gratis or pretty inexpensively by manufacturers looking for buyers.

Who's in charge of replacements and spares? How does a small dept that suddenly needs more replacements than expected get them in a timely manner? Is there some central armory?

All in all, I suppose one could run the numbers and see but I think the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Each to their own, but those tarted up pistols are the opposite of cool to me.
    this
    There's no way anyone thinks the P227 was the lowest bid option for ISP, is there?

LE pistols are generally selected via either T&E then taking bids on the winning pistol or because someone in charge of procurement thought X was really cool so we're buying X. The larger the entity, the more likely to skew towards the first, IMO.
    Didn't say the cheapest pistol but the department picked a gun then put it out to bid, this is how government agencies work on procurement, Most states it the law. Back in my day the pistol of choice was the M39 or M59 from Smith but today things have changed, holsters are now level 2 or above for duty use and lots of civilians are choosing level 2 for everyday carry

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, having spent most of my career in procurement (including government), you generally wouldn’t select the exact pistol prior to the bid, you’d generate a list of requirements and then have multiple manufacturers submit bids that meet those specs. Otherwise, you’re eliminating pretty much any meaningful competition and won’t save money.

But that aside, between multiple state agencies, 92 counties and hundreds of local PDs, good luck getting them to agree on an award! Not to mention the funding coming from different places with separate decision rights.

Top Bottom