• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Its not just Glocks. And it's not just cops...but with the prevalence of body cam video those are the shootouts that you get to see. Also, a lot of agencies issue Glocks, adding to the prevalence of Glock malfunctions in those videos. The last OIS we had locally, the officer had a malfunction with his P229, and often when we investigate non-officer-involved shootings we encounter at least one jammed handgun.

The balancing of inertial forces is a huge factor in the function of a semi-automatic pistol. The recoil operation is balanced by reciprocal force from the shooter's grip in an ideal situation. But in the real world, sometimes your grip isn't firmly established, or the gun may come into contact with a door frame, steering wheel, ground, window, or even the bad guy himself. Your finger may be pressing up on the slide catch,or your frantically established improper grip may actuate the mag release. Heck, I had one guy in our last class (a lefty) who kept sticking his thumb in front of the ejection port of his Glock 48 and bouncing spent brass back into the action...and he kept going back to that grip even after I showed him multiple times what he was doing. And as a result, he kept jamming up the gun. It didn't happen on the static range, but when we started doing more dynamic stuff the extra stress took over and he compromised his grip without even realizing that he was doing it.

There's a lot of subtle things that can affect reliability in a semi-auto handgun...and most of them aren't encountered by shooting with proper fundamentals on a static range. All quality handguns should tolerate that, and most can. This is why I don't believe that a particular round count alone is enough to prove out a new gun for reliability. You need to shoot it from various positions, right-hand-only, left-hand-only, "limp-wristed", etc. If the range will allow it, see if it will run with the slide in contact with the barricade. You can't replicate every possible failure point but at least you can determine if the gun will operate reliably in less-than-ideal conditions, and maybe identify where it becomes marginal.
    Good explanation.
    When I run across more be they Glock or any other I'll post the video so you all can see.
    That YouTube channel has hundreds of police shooting videos, and trying to dig through them would take days.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm surprised that with the Glock Perfection that the US military picked Sigs, wonder why.

Both passed the minimum requirements. Sig was more 'modular', but was also cheaper and had ties to ammo manufacturing that allowed a cheaper overall procurement price tag of roughly $100 million. Even if we say no shenanigans or politics entered the decision, that's 100 million reasons Sig got the nod.

Of perhaps some interest, many "special" people in the military get a Glock instead.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Glock, a pistol good enough that you don't have to go out of your way to trash other's choices.

If you know, you know...

;)

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have no bad stuff to say about any of my hand cannon’s.

S&W, Glock, Beretta, DW no issues I complete agree with @92FSTech. During classes it’s normally a modified Glock or a Canick that’s malfunctioning. One additional pistol I am not confident in is the Hellcat it appears to be very ammo sensitive.

Here’s a video

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Both passed the minimum requirements. Sig was more 'modular', but was also cheaper and had ties to ammo manufacturing that allowed a cheaper overall procurement price tag of roughly $100 million. Even if we say no shenanigans or politics entered the decision, that's 100 million reasons Sig got the nod.

Of perhaps some interest, many "special" people in the military get a Glock instead.
    The Army actually has quite a few handguns.

BTW SIG sucks butt to the Army like no other. Like at a NCO call SIG gave away three pistols and an AR for door prizes. Oh and free beer and buffet.

M9 standard issue I say 90%
    M11 Sig 229 and 228 mostly aviation units seem to have them.
    MK 27 Glock 19, 17, 26 and for some reason G22. Normally SOCOM guys/state department goons.
    Some nations guard units purchased them independently to fill in shortages of M9’s.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have no bad stuff to say about any of my hand cannon’s.

S&W, Glock, Beretta, DW no issues I complete agree with @92FSTech. During classes it’s normally a modified Glock or a Canick that’s malfunctioning. One additional pistol I am not confident in is the Hellcat it appears to be very ammo sensitive.

Here’s a video

Correia puts out a lot of good content. Always have to take what he says with a grain of salt though. He believes he does not need to carry a spare magazine.

:n00b:

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    After all the failures I've seen, no gun is immune. The average user is going to have problems no matter what the gun at some time. Ammo plays a large part in malfunctions as most people don't test it in the gun before depending on it. Some guns just don't eat everything. As far as police failures stress is the biggest factor. I grew up with 1911's and over 49 years the operation of it is just ingrained to my reflexes, but I don't think they are for everyone. I have my daughters using Sig P239's since they have gotten their CCW's. Sure they are heavier than most polymer framed guns but they each have been gone over by me and have been smoothed out, feed ramps polished, and triggers re worked. Plus they run only ammo that I have checked out in their guns. Plus I make sure as a dad they go to the range more than twice a year LOL. My niece has her Glock and has her CCW, I make her go to the range too with my girls. Back to the guns, I think it's all about stress, not so much as the guns. I wouldn't recommend a 1911 to a beginning shooter as they need to be reworked to function 100%.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Like was said above, it is typically aftermarket parts that cause issues. I have had and still have a bunch of Glocks since 1992 and box stock Glocks have always proven to be 100% reliable for me. The only one I am having trouble with is my G43X with a complete aftermarket RMSC cut slide and Shield Arms S15 mags. I'm still working out the bugs on that one. Most, if not all of the problems I believe are caused by the S15 mags as it worked well before I started using them.
    That said I do mod my Glocks with components I have used in the past and trust. Glocks are not perfect by any means, but they are solid guns that can be had at a reasonable price and they can be easily modded to fit your own needs.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Post the malfunction videos, so we can analyze why they may have happened.

Around 2:20 in video there is a failure.

Let me know what you expert's come up with as to why this Glock failed when he needed it not to fail. I think it failed while he was firing it through his windshield.

I'll post more videos as I run across them.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort

Around 2:20 in video there is a failure.

Let me know what you expert's come up with as to why this Glock failed when he needed it not to fail. I think it failed while he was firing it through his windshield.

I'll post more videos as I run across them.

Beat me to it - just watched this one before I left work this evening

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ..Glock failed when he needed it not to fail...I think it failed while he was firing it through his windshield...

Looks like a lot was going on while the officer was shooting through the windshield?

Hard to tell for sure with the poor lighting, but I'd venture to say the gun's slide might have been impeded by something in the car, possibly causing the jam? RDS could have contributed, being more to get caught, in the tight space?

I guess if you are trying to blame it on being a Glock, well maybe but... :n00b:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Glock is a value supported option for a dependable shooter. Kinda like a Honda.

No one ever gets out of one and says, that was fun to drive.

2 Good products that lack soul IMHO.

For me, a gun has to have some character and the lack of character can define the character of the one who owns it.

While this is not a bad thing as we all have a right to our own personality. And if we wanna brag about our Mauve colored vinyl siding on our house, then rejoice.

See you on the range

Trapper

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Looks like a lot was going on while the officer was shooting through the windshield?

Hard to tell for sure with the poor lighting, but I'd venture to say the gun's slide might have been impeded by something in the car, possibly causing the jam? RDS could have contributed, being more to get caught, in the tight space?
    Whatever happened he never got it cleared. He gave up and looked like he was looking for a rifle or a med kit.
    I'm thinking failure to eject the spent case. Because the next rd wouldn't chamber. He spent a lot of time trying to clear it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Whatever happened he never got it cleared. He gave up and looked like he was looking for a rifle or a med kit.
    I'm thinking failure to eject the spent case. Because the next rd wouldn't chamber. He spent a lot of time trying to clear it.

I would guess double feed? They are more complicated to clear on the range, much less when being shot at.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom