• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Take a time out, get to a Safe Space,,,, and take a knap..... better???
    Hi there! I'm KellyinAvon. Staff member, moderator, 2A advocate, all around nice guy, etc.

I need you to take a breath right about now. You typed in all caps and someone asked you why you were yelling. That is a valid question.

Group dynamics are a real thing. Again, take a breath and press on.

bigdave101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2024
    FISHERS
    Hi there! I'm KellyinAvon. Staff member, moderator, 2A advocate, all around nice guy, etc.

I need you to take a breath right about now. You typed in all caps and someone asked you why you were yelling. That is a valid question.

Group dynamics are a real thing. Again, take a breath and press on.
    His or her replies were hardly friendly, condescending, and not worthy of a serious reply. I do appreciate your reply.

GLC3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2024
    Shelbyville
    I got my first Glock, a 19, in the later 80's from a shop in Muncie. I traded a 659 and walked out with a new gun and cash. It shot well, fed everything, takes apart to clean in seconds... and didn't really care if you cleaned it. it was half the weight to carry and I still have it... and the family grew and grew.

Someday a Turnbull 1911 will go in my old man belt... but it may have to be a retirement gift to myself.

Either people like them or they don't. I get that. They're undeniably one of the most reliable handguns I've ever owned. I have a couple 9mm Glocks that I love. There's many on the used market probably because there are so many out there - a previous post mentioned that I think.
    I also like my S&W M&P9 Shield +, and Taurus GX4XL TORO. I used to have a Ruger P85 MKII 9mm, it was very reliable, but I didn't like the trigger take-up, and it was a bit on the heavy side. Plus magazines were a bit hard to find as the gun got older. Glock has parts galore, also 3rd party mfrs offer plenty of options/upgrades as well.
    It's great to have so many quality options to choose from. Ultimately, shoot what fits you best, and what your pocketbook can digest.
    Art
    Well said, both of you. I own and appreciate Glocks, not for their beauty, but because I am very comfortable with them, I trust them with my life, and with my family’s safety. I carried and trained with a G22 for many years, and it became an extension of me. And that is extremely important to me and my story.

To put this into perspective, for years I thought I had sleep apnea. Turns out, it becomes hard to breath when your wife holds a pillow over your face to quite the chain saw. So, to say I am a heavy sleeper is an understatement. If I hear glass breaking, a door opening when it shouldn’t, or my dogs trying to rip someone’s face off, I want to be able to grab my weapon and eliminate the threat without thinking, then wake up and wonder why I am in the living room in my underwear stepping on hot brass. While I no longer have a G22 due to the caliber, I have two others that are located in just the right spots for a midnight rendezvous.

And for the record, I own and love many other pistols. From beautiful and God sent 1911’s and hammer fired, to many other non-Glock striker fired beauts.

For me, it is recognizing that they really aren’t that purdy, and that they are in fact made with some polymer, but they work. And they are reliable, and this goes for their entire platform.

Now, let me get back to cleaning my 1911

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've been watching police shootouts on YouTube and I'm amazed at how many Glocks fail for one reason or another.
    The only Glock I've owned was a G20SF it went bang every time I pulled the trigger, and very reliable.
    I have a Glock clone Dagger it's been reliable as well.
    So my question is why are there so many failures when they (LEO's) need them most?
    Is it user related? Or Glock related?
    I've never heard of an ammo picky Glock.
    Now I've watched hundreds so far I'm going to guess I've seen probably 10 or slightly more failures. Doesn't sound like much. But when a second counts it is very bad.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I've had several over the years and only had one internal part issue. It was on a high milage Gen 3 34 that was setup for my wife for 3 Gun. Estimate is 30K plus rounds and dry fire. The firing pin channel liner split in half length wise and the firing pin was stuck. Other than that, the only issues experienced were magazine related and all those mags were modified with extensions, springs and followers for competition.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been watching police shootouts on YouTube and I'm amazed at how many Glocks fail for one reason or another.
    The only Glock I've owned was a G20SF it went bang every time I pulled the trigger, and very reliable.
    So my question is why are there so many failures when they (LEO's) need them most?
    Now I've watched hundreds so far I'm going to guess I've seen probably 10 or slightly more failures. Doesn't sound like much. But when a second counts it is very bad.

Post the malfunction videos, so we can analyze why they may have happened.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Post the malfunction videos, so we can analyze why they may have happened.
    Yeah that would take a lot of searching. They are on this channel.

If I run across more I'll post them.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yeah that would take a lot of searching. They are on this channel.

If I run across more I'll post them.
    :)

walkercolt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Honestly the police videos don't make difference for me on Glock, can't say what their issue is as I don't have it.

It really seems like everyone wants to pull an Alec Baldwin and blame the firearm and not the operator or how the gun was loaded. I never bought into that all of the videos of Sigs accidental dischargers were the guns themselves.

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    People buy Glocks because they are cheap, they feel they don't need much training, they don't have any attachment to them and the gun holds a lot of bullets. I've had three of them, couldn't handle the grip angle or the sloppy trigger, sold them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    8ef0d4f05125bb727d88bdb4458aa2f8ee26f53b1e09db639ca83b239fe91d44.jpg

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Its not just Glocks. And it's not just cops...but with the prevalence of body cam video those are the shootouts that you get to see. Also, a lot of agencies issue Glocks, adding to the prevalence of Glock malfunctions in those videos. The last OIS we had locally, the officer had a malfunction with his P229, and often when we investigate non-officer-involved shootings we encounter at least one jammed handgun.

The balancing of inertial forces is a huge factor in the function of a semi-automatic pistol. The recoil operation is balanced by reciprocal force from the shooter's grip in an ideal situation. But in the real world, sometimes your grip isn't firmly established, or the gun may come into contact with a door frame, steering wheel, ground, window, or even the bad guy himself. Your finger may be pressing up on the slide catch,or your frantically established improper grip may actuate the mag release. Heck, I had one guy in our last class (a lefty) who kept sticking his thumb in front of the ejection port of his Glock 48 and bouncing spent brass back into the action...and he kept going back to that grip even after I showed him multiple times what he was doing. And as a result, he kept jamming up the gun. It didn't happen on the static range, but when we started doing more dynamic stuff the extra stress took over and he compromised his grip without even realizing that he was doing it.

There's a lot of subtle things that can affect reliability in a semi-auto handgun...and most of them aren't encountered by shooting with proper fundamentals on a static range. All quality handguns should tolerate that, and most can. This is why I don't believe that a particular round count alone is enough to prove out a new gun for reliability. You need to shoot it from various positions, right-hand-only, left-hand-only, "limp-wristed", etc. If the range will allow it, see if it will run with the slide in contact with the barricade. You can't replicate every possible failure point but at least you can determine if the gun will operate reliably in less-than-ideal conditions, and maybe identify where it becomes marginal.

Top Bottom