• ...and so much more!
  • AWIndyUSA

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2024
    Westfield
    What is so special about a Glock? They are ugly and made of plastic. So many of them for sale used. Don't shooters like them? If they are such a great gun and the savior of the shooting world, why are so many of them for sale on the INGO Marketplace?
    Either people like them or they don't. I get that. They're undeniably one of the most reliable handguns I've ever owned. I have a couple 9mm Glocks that I love. There's many on the used market probably because there are so many out there - a previous post mentioned that I think.
    I also like my S&W M&P9 Shield +, and Taurus GX4XL TORO. I used to have a Ruger P85 MKII 9mm, it was very reliable, but I didn't like the trigger take-up, and it was a bit on the heavy side. Plus magazines were a bit hard to find as the gun got older. Glock has parts galore, also 3rd party mfrs offer plenty of options/upgrades as well.
    It's great to have so many quality options to choose from. Ultimately, shoot what fits you best, and what your pocketbook can digest.
    Art

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Either people like them or they don't. I get that. They're undeniably one of the most reliable handguns I've ever owned. I have a couple 9mm Glocks that I love. There's many on the used market probably because there are so many out there - a previous post mentioned that I think.
    I also like my S&W M&P9 Shield +, and Taurus GX4XL TORO. I used to have a Ruger P85 MKII 9mm, it was very reliable, but I didn't like the trigger take-up, and it was a bit on the heavy side. Plus magazines were a bit hard to find as the gun got older. Glock has parts galore, also 3rd party mfrs offer plenty of options/upgrades as well.
    It's great to have so many quality options to choose from. Ultimately, shoot what fits you best, and what your pocketbook can digest.
    Art
    Seconded. I like that if I can dream up a holster or accessory situation it’s almost guaranteed someone has it for a Glock 19. It doesn’t hurt that in the Sheepdog Response courses I’ve taken, Glocks are used by about 90% of the class and most of the failures are in the other 10%.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What is so special about a Glock? They are ugly and made of plastic. So many of them for sale used. Don't shooters like them? If they are such a great gun and the savior of the shooting world, why are so many of them for sale on the INGO Marketplace?
    Going back over 30+ years I've owned several and still own some.
    They're nothing special, just basic, reliable, relatively inexpensive, utilitarian handguns.

One good thing is, if you have to use one lawfully for self defense, when the police swipe it and refuse to return it LONG after it's been shown you lawfully used it, the bite isn't as much as if you have a few thousand into a nice quality handgun.
    PLUS if by some miracle they do return it, and it's all beat up, it won't bite as much either.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...One good thing is, if you have to use one lawfully for self defense, when the police swipe it and refuse to return it LONG after it's been shown you lawfully used it, the bite isn't as much as if you have a few thousand into a nice quality handgun.
    PLUS if by some miracle they do return it, and it's all beat up, it won't bite as much either.

Very valid point.

It gets a bit more complicated though when you throw an optic on the gun. Value of your confiscated pistol raises noticeably. I have wondered seriously about keeping the plate for my MOS slide G19 in my tool wallet?

:spend:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Very valid point.

It gets a bit more complicated though when you throw an optic on the gun. Value of your confiscated pistol raises noticeably. I have wondered seriously about keeping the plate for my MOS slide G19 in my tool wallet?

:spend:
    That's for sure.

I started carrying about 40 years ago, and over the years came to the conclusion that in a defensive situation, the perp is going to be fairly close to me and the most important thing is a handgun that will reliably function.

For example, a few years ago at about 1am at a gas station, I had a guy drive up out of nowhere to rob me, he got out of his car and approached me.
    He stopped about 15 feet from me when I reached my hand into my pocket for my pistol, ready to draw it.
    Told him I had no money for him and he got back in his car and left.
    (2 or 3 days later, I read a story of a guy who fit the description of him and his car EXACTLY that robbed a defenseless guy late at night with a handgun)

ANY lower cost, stock, reliable handgun like a Glock, etc would've been sufficient if I'd been forced to use it defensively in that situation.
    (though I wasn't carrying a Glock that night)

So for everyday carry, I came to the conclusion long ago that any modestly priced, reliable handgun in stock configuration is enough for most defensive situations.
    Glocks as well as several other brands of handguns fit that bill well.

If over time it gets scratched, dinged, or the finish wears off, it's no biggie.
    And if the police swipe it and refuse to return it without a legitimate reason, it's easier to live with the theft.

I'll save my nice more expensive handguns for the range or plinking. :cool:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's for sure.

I started carrying about 40 years ago, and over the years came to the conclusion that in a defensive situation, the perp is going to be fairly close to me and the most important thing is a handgun that will reliably function.

For example, a few years ago at about 1am at a gas station, I had a guy drive up out of nowhere to rob me, he got out of his car and approached me.
    He stopped about 15 feet from me when I reached my hand into my pocket for my pistol, ready to draw it.
    Told him I had no money for him and he got back in his car and left.
    (2 or 3 days later, I read a story of a guy who fit the description of him and his car EXACTLY that robbed a defenseless guy late at night with a handgun)

ANY lower cost, stock, reliable handgun like a Glock, etc would've been sufficient if I'd been forced to use it defensively in that situation.
    (though I wasn't carrying a Glock that night)

So for everyday carry, I came to the conclusion long ago that any modestly priced, reliable handgun in stock configuration is enough for most defensive situations.
    Glocks as well as several other brands of handguns fit that bill well.

If over time it gets scratched, dinged, or the finish wears off, it's no biggie.
    And if the police swipe it and refuse to return it without a legitimate reason, it's easier to live with the theft.

I'll save my nice more expensive handguns for the range or plinking. :cool:

Yep.

And going even farther with that; Say you did lose your pistol to confiscation from a self defense usage? If your Glock is gone and you are without, how quickly could it be replaced so you may be self-defense equipped again?

...Being a Glock, you can pick one up anywhere, right?
    ...Being an economical pistol in the first place, it's likey (one is none) you already have another in reserve. Possibly purchased to plan for just this scenario?
    ...Don't have the funds immediately and no back-up? How many of your friends have just this pistol to loan a buddy until the immediate problem is solved?
    ...edporch is well known on INGO. How many PM's would Ed have in his inbox tomorrow should a problem like this arrive and he announced it here on INGO? ...Probably a selection to choose from day after tomorrow, that would fit his carry gear and the mags he already has?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yep.

And going even farther with that; Say you did lose your pistol to confiscation from a self defense usage? If your Glock is gone and you are without, how quickly could it be replaced so you may be self-defense equipped again?

...Being an economical pistol in the first place, it's likey (one is none) you already have another in reserve. Possibly purchased to plan for just this scenario?
    ...Don't have the funds immediately and no back-up? How many of your friends have just this pistol to loan a buddy until the immediate problem is solved?
    ...edporch is well known on INGO. How many PM's would Ed have in his inbox tomorrow should a problem like this arrive and he announced it here on INGO? ...Probably a selection to choose from day after tomorrow, that would fit his carry gear and the mags he already has?

With the exception of the expectation of having well equipped friends (@indiucky would probably loan me some cap and ball something or other and an autographed Bigfoot photo...) that's exactly why I don't play gun of the month. Glock and Sig. AR rifles. 870 shotguns. All well supported, easily replaced, and quality for dollar ratio is generally right.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yep.

So, I infer you support civil forfeiture to the government of lawfully owned property when no laws were broken or you were not found guilty of breaking any law?

MY copy of the US Constitution says "...nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

A firearm is property, and theft of it is just as wrong as unlawful theft of any other piece of property.

Should I infer if anything else of yours was stolen by the government, and they unlawfully refused to return it, you'd just bend over and say "yes master" and EAT the loss like a good "subject"?
    And then you'd flame and try to discredit anybody else who DARES speak up about the government abusing their authority?

I'll continue to speak out against theft of people's lawfully owned property by our government without just compensation.
    Others are free to be "sheep" if they choose.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    So, I infer you support civil forfeiture to the government of lawfully owned property when no laws were broken or you were not found guilty of breaking any law?

MY copy of the US Constitution says "...nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

A firearm is property, and theft of it is just as wrong as unlawful theft of any other piece of property.

Should I infer if anything else of yours was stolen by the government, and they unlawfully refused to return it, you'd just bend over and say "yes master" and EAT the loss like a good "subject"?
    And then you'd flame and try to discredit anybody else who DARES speak up about the government abusing their authority?

I'll continue to speak out against theft of people's lawfully owned property by our government without just compensation.
    I’m not seeing where BW mentioned he’s for Government seizure.

I believe the point was depending on the case in all probability most are not getting it back right then and it might take a couple weeks at best to several months. You don’t have to like it I don’t just how it works. Having an easily replaced item is needed to cover one until they can get it back by taking any overreaching agency to court. That takes time even years.

Not sure how that makes anyone a sheep.

Also, Ask folks that have had their stolen guns recovered in Indy. IMPD refuses to return unless they show a recipe.
    Guy has covered this on his show a few times and can go into greater detail if he chooses!

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I think the “beauty” lies in its simplicity and its reliability. And yes they are very barebones basic BUT they provide a fantastic base to build up from. Other pistols are catching up and coming along with more features and better features but mostly all of them took notes from Glock. So we can thank Glock for making the polymer pistol market what it is today.
    You mean H&K, they were shooting plastic 10 years before glock.
    What did Sig Sauer borrow from glock with the 320 Series pistols?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yep.

Obviously you don't know Ed, if you did you would know he will not drive 17 miles to meet and sell a $500.00 handgun. Much less drive to borrow one. :stickpoke:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

You'd be mistaken then sir!

Understood that you are quite familiar with this, having read your story about the IMPD property room.

My apologies if I gave the impression that I am OK with property seizures. I am not.

That said, the reality is that in most (if not all?) localities, the self defense shooting you were involved in will result in not going home with your pistol.

The simple fact that police investigations in the modern day will involve testing of your seized weapon may or may not be fixable? What you can fix though is being prepared to re-arm yourself immediately, when you are quite vulnerable. :nono:

:scratch:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom